cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hey ishmael

JMO, but a posting a link takes one back to the source, it is not the same as copying the content.

Senior Contributor

A link is content.

Consider for example:

http://www.communistpartyusa.com/democratsareus.html

Veteran Advisor

A link might be content, tomAto, tomAHto, yet one is not pretending it is their original content, one is directed via the link to the referenced content.  And, in my non-legal farmer opinion, if you summarize or quote from that linked content, you have referenced and given credit to that linked source.  Furthermore, I don't see how linking to that publicly available source represents any type of copyright violation, even without permission of that author or publisher, since you are providing the link directly to that source, not re-publishing the content.  Providing a link does not appear to me to be any different than me telling you where to find a book in the library by providing the title and directions to the shelf.  Yet, again, just my opinion, didn't do any research on this.

Did you know?  Anything that you write or post on this website can be later found in a Google search, available to anyone?  Try searching your handle on Google.

Senior Contributor

WCMO, I think your assessment about posting links is right on! If you put quote marks on "cut and paste" that should be sufficient also
Senior Contributor

quote from gt0:

"WCMO, I think your assessment about posting links is right on! If you put quote marks on "cut and paste" that should be sufficient also"

so it is now official, make up some rules as the game progresses...the way to win when you write the rules by gt0

lol
Veteran Advisor

BA  -  Mom  always  told  me  practice  what  one  preach's   -  -  -

3 +  wives  message   guy  seems  a  little  awkward   for   the  '''' Christian  '''  proclaimed  folks  -  maybe  ?        

Senior Contributor

You would think that.  Thats the way it works in the rest of the universe. 

BUT, I'm getting stuff deleted that has nothing but a snippet, a link and a bit of inoffensive editorial comment.  So. I'm guessing that they'd just prefer we'd all go away.

And with pictures, the link to the source is implicit in the post.  It's in the HTML.