cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

High profile GOP candidate calls for higher taxes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/31/trump-upends-gop-message-on-economy/ So to stay hooked boys, you'll just have to hang on to the racism and war on women. And no definitive word yet that he won't mount a third party bid. Gonna take some real dedication there BA etal.
8 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: High profile GOP candidate calls for higher taxes

Well here we go Bruce, Trump isn`t going to be the nominee, it will be President Jeb Bush.  Look, someone that thinks this dog & pony show can continue is going to have to raise taxes and have "means testing" for social security and other entitlements.  I don`t mind paying my share and higher taxes, if I`m assured that those in charge won`t continue to squander my money.

Too many in the GOP feel that taxes wouldn`t have to be raised and somehow only cutting spending will be enough.  If there is a "magical growth pill" it won`t come solely from cutting, unfortunately we are too Keynesian for that to work and that toothpaste won`y go back in the tube until we reach some sort of Shemitah rock bottom.  Meantime, we have to figure out how to use the tools that we are given. It`s like overhauling an engine where you`re only wrench is a Crescent wrench.

Maybe Trump could give us what no one else has, a viable 3rd party...he does appeal to Independents and Democrats too, you know.   I doubt that Trump will make a 3rd party run, but if he does I would probably support him unless someone like Cruz is the GOP nominee...Yes, it really is "that" late in the game.

wehav
Senior Contributor

Just curious, what if we got rid of money and forced everbody into credit type cards?  Would we suddenly find a lot of the 47% paying taxes?  

And what if we just cut all grants, fired everybody in government that was considered as not critical?  While we're dreaming how about deporting anybody that entered the country illegally?  

There would be an increase of jobs because they left and there'd be an increase of jobs rounding up the felons.

FDR would have made it work.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

If Obama is a secret Muslim because his daddy was born in Kenya, does that mean that cruz is a secret communist because his father was born in Cuba??

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

@bruce MN wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/31/trump-upends-gop-message-on-economy/ So to stay hooked boys, you'll just have to hang on to the racism and war on women. And no definitive word yet that he won't mount a third party bid. Gonna take some real dedication there BA etal.

It sounds to me, that he gets it more than any other candidate.  You cannot spend your way into prosperity, with borrowed money, and you cannot cut too deeply, too fast, and not expect major fallout.   The ONLY way I can see to getting the budget under control, will be a mix of cutting unneeded spending, raising more tax revenue, and growth.   He might not have the perfect mix, but at least he is bringing all options into the table.   Nothing will get done, as long as one side refuses to look into ways of raising revenue, and the other side refuses to look into ways of cutting spending.  All that will lead to, is a budgetary logjam.  Think about this:  One of the Constitutional requirements of Congress, is to pass a budget.   When was the last time Congress has done that?  I can give you a hint:  It hasn't happened while Obama was President.   Instead, they just pass a quick 'continuing resolution', with automatic increases, and a little tweak here and there.  How irresponsible is that?  Imagine running your farm on using your numbers from 10 or 15 years ago, and just adding a percentage to every line each year, without taking into account the changes to your operation.   Chances are, it would be hard to get things to balance.

On to the racism and the war on women.   Are you referring to Trump's?

I know he has said some insensitive things, but what has he actually DONE?

For example, when the Obama staff, as well as Hillary's staff has women being paid less than men, why are they not also in the 'war against women'?   I know, I know, they excuse it by saying that they get paid the same for the same job, it is just that the women are more likely to be 'secretaries' and the men more likely to be 'executives'.  However, Trump claims that he actually has more women executives in his companies, than men, and pays them as well as the men.   Why is it that the guy who supposedly is waging a 'war on women' can find female executives, but the ones who are 'champoining women's rights', can't seem to?

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/17/attorney-trump-companies-employ-more-female-execs-than-male-video/

-snip-

Appearing on “CNN’s New Day” with Chris Cuomo, Michael Cohen, Trump’s general counsel and an executive vice president at Trump Organization, said that while the billionaire’s companies employ 57 percent men and 43 percent women, “there are more female executives at the Trump Organization than there are male.”

“And women who are similarly situated in positions similar to that of their male counterparts, are actually paid more,” Cohen said.

-snip-

As to wheter or not he is 'racist', I don't have much evidence either way.  He has made some incendiary remarks, but he does that about everyone, so is it just him being a butt-head, the way he is, or is he singling out people of a certain race?
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Trump helped  make his daughter with Ivanka into a serious female business executive in her own right. Doesn't sound like a sexist pig to me.

Trump is a formidable candidate, complete with a plethora of warts. I have stated earlier, and hold to it, that a Donald Trump white house bid attracts a good share of dyed in the wool Democrats, too, that are fed up , mad, and not wanting to take it anymore.

I would hope for a better candidate to emerge, but Trump is at the top of the polls right now for the reason that, right now, he is the best candidate in the mix.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Actually, I think Trump answered the question pretty honestly, at least more honestly than most politicians would have, when asked if he ever said bad things about women.   Instead of deny, deflect, and blame someone else, he bluntly said (something to the effect of) yea, I said that, but it was just about Rosie Odonnel.  Sounds to me like a to the point answer.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

But then that was a lie as well. He cannot open his mouth without lying.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

You're assuming dems won't cut taxes. The problem is that the repubs want to shrink revenues and make dem issues the target of budget reductions.

During the last 30 years, the republican agenda has been to cut taxes for the affluent and pay for them with cuts to domestic spending. In other words starve the revenue side in order to force cuts to social programs. Mean while throwing the bulk of revenues towards war or preparing for war. Much like a gun nut spending the bulk of his income on firearms while his family goes lacking.

As a farmer, I'm sure you know that there is a difference in the wisdom of borrowing money. Borrowing to educate children is an investment in their future. Borrowing to buy them a sports car or a boat is hardly a sound decision. Borrowing to buy the tools you need to do the job is sound business decision. Borrowing money to buy the shiniest new tractor may not.

So such decisions must be judged on their merit. Borrowing to pay for badly needed infrastructure improvements may well be cost savings in the long run. Welfare may well be governments response to what the market place fails to do. Job creation, wage improvement. How many tax cuts have promised a more robust economy and job creation? Our biggest mistake is tax incentives based on assumed results that never develop.

Not all complex problems can be solved by changing the tax code and the no new tax crowd needs to curb their appetite for rewarding business interests. Trickle down does not work as advertised and they need to get that out of their head.