cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

THIS POSTING IS A LIE!!!!

OK....enough.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/18/fact-check-adolf-hitler-did-not-defund-poli...

Just the last little bit of this article:

Calls to broadly reassess the powers allocated to police in the U.S. have risen in recent weeks in response to the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery.

In one sense, the movement to defund the police is quite simple: Activists are pushing for local legislators, who often allocate money in yearly budgets to fund police departments, to reallocate those funds elsewhere, including to social services, mental health support and other community initiatives.

Comparing those pushes for change to the consolidation and expansion a police state in Nazi Germany is erroneous, Woods said.

“I don’t see there’s a relationship between the two,” she said. “It’s not even apples and oranges. It’s apples and cats. It’s not something that you can even compare.”

Other independent fact checkers have ruled the claim that Hitler defunded and eliminated the police false, including the Associated Press, Lead Stories and Snopes.

Our ruling: False

We rate this claim FALSE because it was not supported by our research. Our research confirms that German policing expanded and consolidated under Hitler and worked in conjunction with other paramilitary auxiliary police officers to help implement the Nazi regime’s brutal reign of terror.

Part of the article:

It raises the question: What does “defund the police” actually mean?

There are various interpretations of the phrase itself, ranging from reallocating funds to defunding completely, and thus, abolishing the police department altogether. A common ground is rooted in reimagining what public safety looks like as a whole.

That said, some people hear “abolish the police” and immediately dissent with visions of a lawless society. That’s not at all what is being suggested.

“I think there is this mistake that a lot of folks are making in thinking that we are talking about abolishing safety,” Minneapolis City Council member Jeremiah Ellison said. “We are talking about abolishing failure of a police structure that doesn’t keep us safe.”

HOW DID WE GET TO THIS POINT?

While the horrific video of Floyd dying on the streets of Minneapolis sparked protests across the globe, activists have been pushing to “defund the police” for much longer than the past couple of weeks.

There is widespread evidence that police disproportionately use force against black people. According to a report from the New York Times, since 2015 police in Minneapolis used force against black people at a rate at least seven times that of white people.

Aside from Floyd, the killings of black men in the Twin Cities at the hands of police notably include Jamar Clark in 2015 and Philando Castile in 2016.

There is an understanding, according to Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender, that the current system does not keep every member of the community safe. Bender said she is committed to changing that.

It’s worth noting that the Minneapolis City Council has offered very few details on what this looks like down the road. They have committed to at least a year of engagement with members of the community to develop a plan.

“We know it won’t happen overnight and we know it has to center all of the voices of our community,” Bender said. “The answers do not lie in the (city council). They lie in our community.”

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey is on record saying he does not support a full abolishment of the police department and instead wants to focus on reform.

And then there is this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/minneapolis-city-council-advances-plan-to-abolish-police-department-115....

Minneapolis City Council Advances Plan to Abolish Police Department

Council took first step toward putting change to city’s charter on November ballot

The council on Friday unanimously approved sending to a public commission a proposed charter amendment that could ultimately end up on the November ballot.

“No singular action is going to undo longstanding systemic oppression, racial oppression,” said Councilmember Jeremiah Ellison, one of the authors of the proposed amendment. “This is one action of many that we need to take on the road to a more equitable and just system that keeps people safe.”

Mayor Jacob Frey said later Friday that he opposed the proposed amendment for its lack of clarity and blurring of clear lines of responsibility.

“Will we still have police?” he asked. “If you vote for this, are you voting to abolish the police department or is this merely a cosmetic change where you add a bureaucratic layer, you change the name to peace officer and give them different uniforms?”

For the amendment to make it onto the November ballot, it must be submitted by Aug. 21, so the council streamlined its process to make that possible, referring the matter to the Minneapolis Charter Commission, which will hold the only public hearing on the matter, and its own policy committee.

IT MUST BE VOTED ON, BY THE RESIDENTS OF MINNEAPOLIS.....THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.   IF THE PROPOSAL THAT IS BEING TOSSED ABOUT IT PRACTICAL, IT MAY BE VOTED IN.   BUT RIGHT NOW, IT IS STILL A LONG WAY FROM THAT.   

WHAT THE RIGHT IS TRYING TO DO HERE, IS ENTICE ANGER AND FEAR.   THAT IS WHAT REPUBLICANS DO BEST.   AND THEY CONTINUE TO DO IT, EVEN WHEN CHALLENGED.  THIS POSTING OF MINNEAPOLIS GETTING RID OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT, AND ALLOWING CHAOS TO RUN RAMPANT, IS FEAR MONGERING AT IT'S WORST.   IT SHOWS THE DESPERATION ON THE PART OF REPUBLICANS.   THEY WILL DO AND SAY ANYTHING TO WIN THIS ELECTION.  KEEP ON YOUR GUARD FOR THIS STUFF.....THERE IS A LOT MORE TO COME.

Republicans can't win an election, without lying.....

Jen

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: THIS POSTING IS A LIE!!!!

https://www.history.com/topics/holocaust/kristallnacht  

snip:

Kristallnacht was the result of that rage. Starting in the late hours of November 9 and continuing into the next day, Nazi mobs torched or otherwise vandalized hundreds of synagogues throughout Germany and damaged, if not completely destroyed, thousands of Jewish homes, schools, businesses, hospitals and cemeteries. Nearly 100 Jews were murdered during the violence. Nazi officials ordered German police officers and firemen to do nothing as the riots raged and buildings (and Target stores I added that )burned, although firefighters were allowed to extinguish blazes that threatened Aryan-owned property.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

So why was the Chaz Zone allowed to continue in Seattle?  Police were ordered to stand down in Minneapolis and let `er burn.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

the part of the copious  amount of taxes I pay each year that goes to fund National security and local police protection is the part I gladly pay. 

Maybe karen doesn't appreciate having her property and person protected, but I sure do, and I suspect most of the voting population in the USA does , also.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: I’m Not Lying

Yep, you are.

You said "There is NO TALK of elimination of police departments"

I showed you definitive proof that there is talk of that.

You lied.

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

@sam1wiseone wrote:

Yep, you are.

You lied.

And I showed you what the reality is.  Did you read it?  Any of it - or is it your usual “ You just know” crap.

Any major change like getting rid of a police department would require the public to vote on it in November.   But, I don’t think they got it done, because the deadline to get it on the ballet was late in August - there is nothing new since.   There was still a lot to work out.  And, they were NOT GETTING RID of the department.   Yes, the idea was that armed officers would not be sent on every call.   A naked man in the street, probably doesn’t need a gun being pulled on him.   There’s probably a better solution to who should respond.   That is what is being talked about, and armed officers used for where they are needed.   You guys like the show of “force”, but the show of force, is often what heightens a lot of scenarios where maybe another option needed to be looked at.  

Obviously, what we have now, isn’t working. 

Republicans  can’t win an election, without lying.....

Jen

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Yep, you are.

You lied.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: History Rhymes

You don't have to defund them. You just turn them all into criminals and like Rochester New York they will just resign. Then the government steps in to fix what they destroyed. Good bye freedom. Hello brown shirts. Got your mask on? Is your gym still closed? Got more than 25% on the seats in your restaurant filled? Did you open your hair salon for someone other than Nancy Pelosi? Well you need to visit the re-education center. Come along with us. You will comply. It's for your own good.

aljessen61
Senior Contributor

@jennys_mn wrote:

I have put up here multiple times, what is meant by “defund police”.   It DOES NOT MEAN what you guys try to keep insinuating that it does.   

I have put up here numerous times what it means.   People will have to look it up themselves - so you can see I’m not lying.   Type in Is Minneapolis going to eliminate the police department.

Its not what you guys are saying it is - AND - whatever is done, needs to be VOTED ON BY THE CITIZENS of Minneapolis.   

You guys are lying - and not telling the truth of what this really is about.

Republicans can’t win an election, without lying.....,

Jen

lets here your definition of “defund police”.