cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hoffman`s dealers not charged with murder?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/07/opinion/kirchner-protass-hoffman-dealers/index.html?iid=article_sideba...   

It seems to me that a criminal selling a illegal substance to a obviously sick person should be charged with murder if a death results.  Heroin use has went up since 2004, illegal drug deaths have nearly doubled.  They say people get hooked on the high that prescription drugs give them, then go to the illegal stuff.

Bartenders have Dram Shop laws  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_shop 

Apparently, there`s as much or more teeth in a farmer selling raw milk or cantaloupe than there is selling heroin  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/28/sentencing-of-colorado-cantaloupe-farmers/49586...    well these farmers got off, but had to kiss ass to do it.  ...Wait a tick, that last sentence doesn`t sound quite right   🙂

16 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Hoffman`s dealers not charged with murder?

Perhaps it should be followed back to the source.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/14066.html

hardnox
Advisor

Fascinating story at one of the links. When the system was about to lock up in 2008, a whole bunch of black money apparently saved the day- and whooshed to freedom.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2009/dec/13/drug-money-banks-saved-un-cfief-claims

hardnox
Advisor

There is a huge global heroin epidemic.

It is one of those "file it away" things for me that in 1986 we had Crack Week where crack cocaine was on the cover of all three major national news magazines and the front page of every major daily. Shortly we had a mass national mobilization of the law enforcement and legal systems to combat the existential threat that was going to kill all our children.

For better or worse, that was contemporaneous to the now well documented CIA operation that ran huge amounts of cocaine through Mena Arkansas (that past we know of, there may have been more) to support the contras.

Make what you will of that. My point is that I've been more than a bit interested that this time around, there has been very little press notice of the heroin epidemic which is surely of similar magnitude.

BTW, Russia is the hardest hit nation. This is purely my own speculation but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn (which I won't) that thee is more than a bit of that funding the $50 billion TV Snowpalooza that's running this week.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yes, that messy unfinished war has alot more unreported unaccounted costs than the "offical total".  The thing is the Taliban actually was against the poppy fields, so protecting the poppy fields was a preverse way of "fighting the taliban".

I know wheat farmers may not want to hear this, but instead of poppies, wheat should be subsidized over there 🙂  But those farmers been growing opium for centuries or whatever, many are generationally off in the head.  I guess we are headed in that direction too.  I don`t blame the poor farmers over there, I don`t blame the sick addicts over here.  It`s the dealers that make so much money that it can`t be counted, it has to be weighed.   I would think with all the heroin that was in Philip Seymore Hoffam`s home that those that sold him that, are as guilty as a bartender that serves drinks until a guy can hardly walk and then helping him to his car, starting it and pointing the direction of the freeway to him.

If dealers were prosecuted for murder in these cases, that would be a good first step.

hardnox
Advisor

I know, isn't that hilarious that they think we're that dumb?

Next thing you know they'll be telling us that Saddam Hussein had WMD.

Seriously, that stuff is worth a pittance at the farm gate, it's the illegality later in the chain that multiplies the value exponentially.

We could buy it all, in perpetuity, for the price of one F-35.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Like people selling you (crazy man) a gun and you shoot yourself or someone else and then try the gun dealer for murder.  It sounds good to me! We finally agree on something

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Big differences between guns and heroin.  Still, did the dealers force him to use the heroin?

Use heroin -- addict -- no good reason, might cause death, users need treatment.

Buy heroin -- illegal -- no good reason, only buy to either use it or sell it, illegal to either possess or sell, hold buyer accountable.

Seller knows it is illegal, knows buyer will use it or sell it, nothing about this is legal, and seller should always be held accountable.

Use gun -- ?? -- while there are illegal uses for guns, most guns are used for totally legal purposes, no crime involved.

Buy gun -- ?? -- while some guns are not legal to buy, most guns are legal, some people cannot legally buy guns -- buyers should be held accountable for illegal purchases and/or illegally possessing or illegally using guns.

Seller might sometimes know if a buyer will use gun for illegal purposes, but most would not know this, current laws should be enforced.  Sellers of illegal guns, either based on the gun itself or the people involved, should be held accountable.

hardnox
Advisor

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/attack/2001/10/16/opium-usatcov.htm

Back in 2001, we were, among the myriad other reasons given, invading Afghanistan to eradicate the drug trade. Which was funding the nefarious activities of the terrorist mastermind Freddy Mohammed  err... I mean Osama Bin Laden.

Freddy had a pretty good decade, though. Mostly just sitting around the villa in Abattobad doing the occasional campaign commercial, smoking his hookah and playing Call of Duty on his X Box. But that's a hard profession to get life insurance in.

Now in the "can you believe how stupid they think we are" category I read that experts are "perplexed" that it appears there's a lot more opium base being produced than can be accounted for in the flow of heroin.

I think once the inventory gets well plenished Karzai has a Freddy Mohammed type of problem- not that he doesn't deserve it too.

All sort of a buzz killer when one is sitting in one's $75 seat at the NFLCorp game, sucking on a $8 suds and cramming some sort of nasty artery pluggging crap on nachos into one's face and feeling really special about supporting our troops.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

The trouble is we don't know which gun owners are criminally insane until after the wack off a few.

It's quite a bit to expect the public and their employees to sort them out ahead of time while millions of you are packing Iron.