cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

How Would You Vote To Divide The U.S.?

The BREXIT vote highlights deep divisions in the UK that are not alien to attitudes in the U.S.

If there were a proposal to divide the U.S., would you support or oppose it?

Well, of course the first question would be how would it be divided?  You have to lump the East and West Coasts together, where does that leave the middle?

Would you make it three,, let's say along the Mississippi River and Rocky Mountains?  The ag sector would be weak.

Two, along the Mississsippi?  That wouldn't make the ag sector happy because they'd still be swampled.

How about Northeast, Deep South, West Coast and Plains?

Well, forget about all that - the basic question is, if there were a propositon to dismember the U.S., would you be against it or in some circumstances might you actually be for it?

If you would oppose a dismembering, how does this deeply divided country develop some sense of community, or is it always going to be "them" against "us" with frequent divided government switching from one election to the next and an almost majority mad no matter what?

12 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: How Would You Vote To Divide The U.S.?

If we elect Trump, we will not feel the need to divide. 

The 10th Amendment limits the Federal Government to the things not prescribed to the individual States. 

I would vote to let each State decide it's own destiny. 

bruce MN
Advisor

The one example we have is the ongoing efforts of a small but very committed group of dissidents iin Texas who have been pushing for seccesion.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I honestly do not know what can be done here.  I don`t want the United States divided up, there are great people in every state and region...where would one do the carving?  My family fought in wars for the United States, I`ve paid too many taxes to the United States.  I loved the United States that I grew up in, I remember my kindergarten class in Prayer for the astronaunts of Apollo 13, every head was bowed and lead by the teacher..we were all united.  The liberals tell me "those days will never come back" and they are probably right.

I think as Craig says, if Trump gets in and becomes a Reaganeque leader for a couple terms, we can do amazing things, because there are still alot of really good people out there.

hardnox
Advisor

Northern Cal, Oregon, Washington is a natural, perhaps with some of the eastern WA, OR going with the Intermountain Mormon Empire.

Probably have to carve out the Front Range of CO, maybe pick up all the way up to Boise, Bozeman.

SoCal, AZ, Las Vegas under Sheriff Joe.

The entire former Confederacy, good riddance.

Upper Midwest probably divides at the Mississippi.

Rust Belt around the Great Lakes.

NE, with upstate NY, VT, NH probably separate, maybe joining Canada.

A problem for would be secessionists is that almost all the job and economic growth is clustered in a few population centers. Might want to think hard about divorcing from the guy who brings in a paycheck.

hardnox
Advisor

I'm anxiously awaiting the issuance of the gold backed Iowa Peso with Andy Jackson on it.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

It is 'snotty' comments like that, which smell of elitism, is stoking the fires of division. 

I really do wish that the anti-Trump people that are contemplating going to Canada, actually do it. 

If Queen Hilldebeest is coronated, the pressure cooker will explode and no one will be able to 'put Humpty-Dumpty back together again'. 

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

We need to start with Iowa first.

The top 2 tiers of counties go to Minnesota, and the  bottom 2 go to Missouri.

They are both drains on the state, as the middle is the best in, well everything.

Make IOWA GREAT Again !!! Smiley Very Happy

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

LOL, this Brexit deal is going to guarantee a Hillary win. After the pain and REALITY sets in on all the people who voted for this ( overwhelmingly old, spoiled, and crabby ).

It is YOU who may consider going elsewhere.  Better hurry before Ireland slams it's border Smiley Very Happy

bruce MN
Advisor

So, while on your own down there in the World's Largest Gated Community, you would prefer to continue to access and utilize the current sovereign currency?

How's that work?  Get together with the rest of the dissident characters and create something like the Euro...only with no responsibility fot it?

Or mint your own "Hawkeye"? If you do, I'm going into the wheelbarrow business, even if I have to sneak them across the border in the dead of night on the international waters of Turtle Lake, up on the Emmet/ Martin County border.