cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

How could this possibly be ????

Feedme2.jpg

National Review columnist Jonah Goldberg today points to a just-released study which shows that tens of millions of dollars donated to Tea Party-affiliated PACs went nowhere. Smiley Very Happy

And by nowhere, he means into somebody's pockets, but not the candidates'. 

If only the IRS would investigate teabagger groups Smiley Very Happy 

LOL, Smiley Very Happy HA HA HA HA HA HA HA 

3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: How could this possibly be ????

What's wrong truthers ??

Buyers remorse ??

LOL ha ha ha ha  Smiley Very Happy

Senior Contributor

Haven't read the particular article, so maybe this is addressed, but PAC's do much more than just give money to candidates.  They have programs and campaigns completely unrelated to particular candidates.

Senior Advisor

@Samthehumble wrote:

Haven't read the particular article, so maybe this is addressed, but PAC's do much more than just give money to candidates.  They have programs and campaigns completely unrelated to particular candidates.

Here's part of the article. Whole lot of scamming goin on.

snip-

It’s also intriguing to find out where some of this money is coming from. For example, one of the reasons PACs like American Crossroads and Club for Growth Action are able to pay out a higher percentage of money in independent expenditures is because there are a lot of wealthy donors cutting them huge checks. That significantly cuts down on their fundraising expenses. If you’re a smaller group raising money from the general public, by necessity your fundraising expenses are going to be significantly higher. Other groups like the Republican Main Street Partnership have found a way to bypass Republican sources entirely for significant portions of their fundraising. This excerpt is from the original 170 page report written by my researcher.

Labor unions provided significant funding for the (Republican Main Street Partnership) with Working for Working Americans, the International Union of Operating Engineers, and the Laborers International Union of North America all contributing around $250,000. The United Transportation Union ($30,000), Seafarers International Union ($20,000), were joined by the Teamsters, Air Line Pilots Association, International Association of Firefighters, and various other unions who contributed $10,000. SEIU contributed $5,000, as did the Laborers Union, the Transport Workers Union and various others.

After a contentious email exchange with the Republican Main Street Partnership, its COO Sarah Chamberlain claimed that it was receiving union money because it supported “fiscal responsibility and less government.” Since unions don’t actually care about either of those things at all, you can draw your own conclusions about why so much liberal union money is pouring into a Republican group that’s considered to be generally hostile to conservative Republicans.

It’s Worse Than You Think

Last but not least before we get into the numbers, it’s worth noting that there are a lot of good people that volunteer and work for these organizations, even the ones that have terrible numbers, and most of them simply aren’t aware of what’s been going on. It’s necessary to say that because we don’t want grassroots volunteers who have no idea what the books look like to be tarred with the same brush as the people running the PACs that are performing poorly. On a personal note, even though I had heard a lot of anecdotal stories and had read what other news organizations had to say, I have to admit that I was shocked by how bad the numbers are for many of these groups. One of the things I realized while I was putting this report together is that perhaps the biggest reason grassroots candidates have been having trouble breaking through in recent years is because such a large percentage of the money that was intended for them is being siphoned off to vendors, wasted, and just plain old pocketed by people in these PACs.

This is a wide scale problem that is unquestionably having an enormous negative impact on the conservative movement and it desperately needs to be addressed in a real and serious way. Hopefully, this report will be the start of that process.

http://rightwingnews.com/john-hawkins/50-million-tubes-17-conservative-pacs-spending-money/