cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

How dumb can a person be?

To not have sold hogs on the board the first second they heard about the quake and impending tsunami?

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agricultural/livestock/lean-hogs.html

Whenever anybody or anything important farts in Asia it's a good time to play hogs down. This was a big one.

27 Replies
Advisor

Re: How dumb can a person be?

Everything is red, but my guess is commodities will roar back in time.
Honored Advisor

And oil..... I thought the greedy basterd oil companies connnntrolllled oil prices?

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/crude-oil/light-sweet-crude.html

Of course down the road, if the kibosh is put on nuke, then it`s off to the races on energy.  Grains too, hard to entice farmers to plant 94 million acres of corn, some being on marginal land if inputs are through the roof.  What`s puzzled me is how some countries import corn to feed to hogs when many times pork was quite reasonably priced.  Why not just import pork?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

that is my gut feeling too....nothing here suggests a long term bear.

Senior Advisor

It could be but you know that panic trumps funnymentals.

Advisor

I'm becoming extremely distressed by the calls for bans on further nuke development here in the U.S. as a result of the situation in Japan.

Hopefully what will come out of it it is the fact that exposure can be minimized. And the understanding that construction methods, containment materials and alloys and mixes used to construct them, recycled cooling materials are obliviously possible to put together to achieve 100% safety and zero discharge. If we can't com to that we are screwed on everything technical.

If I were in charge I'd round up however much money it took...by hook or by crook...bonded, taxed, looted, requisitioned....whatever and find a spot or two, no more than 3 that were absolutely safe geologically...and take them over...by whatever means necessary....eviction, eminent domain, run 'em off like Indians.....make it not be a NIMBY issue by relocating the Ms and the BYs...like the Chinese and their new dam big dam....and then build nuke plants big enough to essentially power the northern continent that isn't being powered by hydo and wind. Big as hell if need be...full bown 8th wonder of the world scale...visible from outer space if need be. And then do the same process and totally grid up North America. From sea to shining sea. Do whatever it takes to lock up fissionable materials for 100 years and, again, run off whoever dissents and dedicate a safe dry hole somewhere (I'd imagine that the Yucca Mtn. site that we hear about all the time probably is the best one but there might be better) for the waste and get to work on deep sea and distant outer space disposal so that is ready before we run out of space for it. And work diligently on other stuff for energy (thousands of years worth of kindling out there available for nukes from what I've read and heard). Run on the oil and gas we've got until it's all been built and then throw the switch. 

No different approach than the U.S. Interstate highway system. Or for that matter, the European railway system. That's how they got put into place in the previous two centuries.

Advisor

100% safety?  Yah, what could possible go wrong? Too much TV.   So you still believe it is only a matter of using enough force(government) and you can play god?   There are many things that throwing all the wealth in the world at  will still be impossible.   Man invented most of the existing technology without the use of force and many of us believe it is the misuse of force which has restricted progress.

Germany just declared they will shut down all their nucs that are over 30 years old.  

If and when fission technology is invented-- but that's still disneyland stuff.    Nuclear reactors are just a firebox for steam power anyway, there are other possible energy sources besides nuclear which may be more realistic  and safer; Geothermal for instance.    

The nuclear power industry, supported by tax loot is no different from the military industrial complex, they do not want any competition, want fed pork and reward their elected puppets and propagandists well.  

Advisor

OK GEOthermal then. I could give a crap. I'm not hard to get along with on this. But enough so that we know that we are going to have energy. Drill a big heat pump  source right down to the molten core if need be....but getter done. Pick up every man woman and child in north america  by the heels and shake the spare change out of them. Best if what we do is much bigger than wind, biofuels or tacking mirrors to your roof. Lets narrow it down to the things that are not those things.......What ya' got?

We probably should and would be able to shut down all of our old nukes too. And get the Nunn.Lugar gang back up to full speed and get that loose cold war era material rounded up and put it to use.

We need to start doing something big here. We ARE the big dog. I'm tired of reading about the latest round of high finance incest and sodomy. That money's not doing corporate and skiming America any good sitting around in shoe boxes.

Senior Contributor

I've gotta agree with Bruce here.  It is my understanding that the earthquake isn't what affected the nuke sights.  Rather it was the tsunami waves that knocked out the backup generators.  If the plants would have been six miles further inland, they wouldn't be having this problem.  Unfortunately, this event probably put our nuclear development back decades.  We're seeing knee jerk reactions to this just like we did to some of the offshore drilling for oil in the Gulf.     

Veteran Advisor

You know the energy tax on oil imports would have created a lot of funding for projects like the one you envision if the USA would have had the political cajones to have implemented it. I know that driving up the price of energy is as much a third rail of political death as suggesting curbing entitlement spending, but one that is in our national interests.

And with higher energy costs, maybe you don't even need government involvement to make private projects fly. Just think of the horror of having private enterpise creating energy through wind, sun, ground heat and every other possible method.