cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Huntsman

It appears Huntsman has dropped out completey after losing the scent of victory. What should we expect now?

14 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Huntsman

They all think that he`ll endorse Romney(smart).  Huntsman was polling below Steven Colbert(a mischievious lib running as a Repub) in one of the Carolinas.  He just made the decision to quit throwing good money after bad. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I question whether he was even running for president. Perhaps the vice presidency or maybe just getting his name out there for future campaigns.

The so called giants of the party stayed on the sidelines because they don't like the odds of beating Obama.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

You can expect more candidates to continue to drop out as the primaries continue on until there is one candidate left standing.  Then you can expect most of the candidates to make up, play nice and endorse the one left standing just like the Dems and Repubs both did back in 2008.  They will then forget all the bad things they said about each other and turn their sites on Obama.  

Looks like Romney will get the nod but hoping Paul will make a big enough impact to help boost the libertarian wing of the Repub party so they play a more prominent role in the near future.   I think that is important to help keep the far right wing of the party from gaining to much power and influence.  Be interesting to see if Paul gets to speak at convention.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

We should expect that there are now no GOP candidates that are willing to admit that science means anything.

Huntsman said in a debate on 9/7/11 - "Listen, when you make comments that fly in the face of what 98 out of 100 climate scientists have said, when you call into question the science of evolution, all I'm saying is that, in order for the Republican Party to win, we can't run from science..."

And we should expect Romney to pull ahead of the field. Hard core conservatives do not really like Romney, but they will warm up to him and vote for him if for no other reason than they oppose Obama. Some of them will fall behind Ron Paul, but since staunch conservatives are a minority (though a very loud minority) in the party, none of the other candidates will get sufficient traction. I seriously doubt there will be a so called third party, but I can't rule it completely out. Even if Paul or another one does break off into another party, it will not garner any more support than did Ross Perot - in my opinion.

I am not sure the average GOP voter is really paying attention to the latest round of GOP cesspool fighting and even if they are, Romney will come out with the least fecal matter on his face. In the end, it is all about beating Obama and the President is waiting for a frontrunner to appear before he comments much. Meanwhile, he is hitting Congress instead and attempting to draw lines in the legislative sand with issues like consumer protection, consolidating government and healthcare. This may or may not work and in the end, it will be about who rallies their base the most to get the votes come November.

It will be an interesting debate when we finally get there.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Good points.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Knapper: "I seriously doubt there will be a so called third party, but I can't rule it completely out. Even if Paul or another one does break off into another party, it will not garner any more support than did Ross Perot - in my opinion."

My initial reaction was to agree with you Knapper.   I believed if Paul ran as a third party he would just siphon off Repub votes from Romney helping Obama to victory.   While that may be the case I don't think it would be as bad as when Perot ran and took votes away from Bush.   This time around I think there are a great many Independents out there that voted for Obama in 08 but are not thrilled with his performance so far and could be enticed to back a third party Paul run.   I know more then a couple of friends that are Dems that are not thrilled with Obama and have talked about backing Paul so I'm sure there are some Dems out there that could vote for Paul if on a third party.   However I think with Paul running as a third party candidate it would still most likely lead to a Obama victory.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

There are a lot of dems discouraged about Obama but probably for different reasons than you have.. However, they see the hand worting on the wall and what republican congressmen and governors are trying to do and that will bring them to our senses.

All this effort to deny Obama any degree of success will be remembered. The constant barrage of negativity and opposition since before his inaugeration looks like a bunch of sore losers to me. Hopefully they will put them out to pasture but I doubt that we will.

Huntsman was the most decent man in the field. Now Paul is. Be sure to nominate him. I f we are going to lose by chance it best be the best candidate you have left.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

"All this effort to deny Obama any degree of success will be remembered. The constant barrage of negativity and opposition since before his inaugeration looks like a bunch of sore losers to me."

Don, don't you think you could substitute Obama's name with that of G.W. Bush or Bill Clinton and still be as accurate? 

As I have stated before I think the race card has been way over played with Obama.   It does not matter if a Dem or Repub POTUS's skin was green, the other party would still dislike him and try to limit their success and ensure they are a one term POTUS.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Are you suggesting that Bush 2 suffered the same amount of objectionable attacks as does Obama. Did Bush 2 have a partisan opposition the voted lockstop against him on all issues.

How did Bush get anything done with a congress that voted in lock step against him? Perhaps they weren't in lock step against him.

Don't forget that many of the solutions presented by Obama originated in the republican party. Thus they will vote against things they favor to deny Obama any success. 

I don't expect you to change your mind but you really ought to give thought to what you say.