cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: HypocriteisspelledR-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N

Tom, I see hypocrites all the time in both parties and have often believed that members of both parties "are using a political office to take them to easy street. Basically use that position as a rags-to-riches- type of stepping stone to personal prosperity and power."  That is why I firmly believe in term limits and  that we desperately need a major overhaul of our campaign finance laws.

Speaking of hypocritical I find it odd that  Dems readily agree to all scientists and experts on warnings on Global Warming but our Dem POTUS was not so eager to agree with scientists and experts on the BP oil well leak.  I just recently read an article in the news where several environmentalists and scientist are claiming that the Obama administration repeatedly ignored the warnings of experts on the environmental damage and the amount of oil leaking from the BP oil well in the Gulf.  The article went on to say that the Obama administration repeatedly gave false figures on the amount of oil leaking and then later tried to claim that most of the oil had suddenly disappeared and that the environmental damage was much less then experts had feared.  I had expected this from BP and Haliburton but not a Dem president that campaigned on "change."

When I read the news article I thought how it would be the top story on Olbermann's show and most other MSNBC shows would give the story extensive air time if it had happened under Bush's watch or another Repub.  I guess the story is not as important to them when it happens under a Dem POTUS.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hypocrite is spelled R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N

Oil is one of those "third rail" issues in politics that politicians won't touch. If they can persuade an entire country to fight a war and waste all types of useful resources on their behalf, do you really think that ANY president would even attempt too undermine them?? Let's face facts, we ain't in the Middle East for the sand.

I think that Obama is smart enough to know their power and influence, and he likes that living part of the equation too.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

So Tom I can only assume you are willing to give Obama a free pass much like MSNBC because of the powers that are in place and are beyond Obama's control.  I have seen several posts since Obama was elected about how the president can not change ceratin things because of these outside "powers and influences" that are set in their ways.  So why don't you guys give the same free pass when it involves a Repub president?

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

LOL, according to the info that I read about the whole spill incident, BP controlled who had access to anything, even the representatives of the government. It's not that I gave him or anyone else a free pass, but he or the government conveyed to us what little they actually knew, but also because regardless of political party, they ALL treat the oil industry with kid gloves.

But, it's one thing to have to deal with the spoiled child (the oil industry, or specifically BP) and not be able to control them very much if at all, and then there are others(think Cheney and Bush) that actually cater to them and step back and play dumb while maintaining that they didn't know or something to that effect.

I guess that you didn't notice Cheney's total lack of management experience and yet he was picked to run Haliburton. Go figure, huh. And when he was "chosen" as the VP(another coincidence) and him and Bush "won" the selection,(oops) Haliburton becomes a very common company name that what a (again)coincidence, is heavily involved in not just 1 country where we have military conflict and operations, but 2.

Who-da guessed it?????? 

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

How much MSNBC have you weatched in the past couple of months? Very little if you are saying that.

Ratigan has Obama shook out of the same sack with Bush. I only watch Ratigan (and sometimes record Maddow and Olbermann and fast forward through them if there is some big issue of the day and then to see if there is anybody on who I might be interested in hearing from...do the same with O'Reilly in those instances). One of my girls is a faithful Maddow watcher and she says that Rachel has been merciless towards the administration lately. I don't ever watch Matthews but, yes, I can see him doing as you say.

I'm probably the person who has said most often that the Pres is functioning as a man with a gun to his head or his kids kidnapped would. I'd never thought of the banksters and oligarchs as being something so milquetoast as simply being "set in their ways". I tend to view them as hardened criminals, perfectly amoral and completely absent of politics and the weight of democracy.

And as for your last question, it's becasue Bush-Cheney were so blatant...so overt. Shamelessly.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Aw! poor baby! When is the last time you or Rush gave the dems a break?

r3020
Senior Contributor

Re: Hypocrite is spelled Charlie Rangel

How do you spell hypocrite? Nancy drain the swamp and end the culture of corruption Pelosi. Charlie get a slap on the hand Rangel.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I have to admit Bruce that about all I watch on MSNBC is Maddow and less and less of Olbermann.  I recall you mentioning Ratigan in the past but don't see the show listed in prime time so I assume it is on in the morning or afternoon when I don't watch TV.  I should make a point of recording it sometime to check it out.

I have noticed that Maddow has been critical of the Obama administration at times and especially on their handling of the "don't ask don't tell policy."

Tom, you will never see me defending or singing the praises of Cheney and mentioned a couple of years ago that I was happy when G. W. finally stopped accepting and agreeing with every word utter by Cheney and listening more to Condi Rice.

"BP controlled who had access to anything, even the representatives of the government."  That sounds like yet another excuse Tom.  Our governmnet also had its own people on hand monitoring the spill plus there were several leading sceintist voicing their concerns and estimates on the true extent of the oil leaking and the damage being caused.  Why would the Obama administration simply rely on the info given them by an evil oil company? 

I atually give the Obama administration a fair grade on how it handled the spill and forced BP to set up a fund to pay off those damged by the spill.   There are three main points where I disagreed with the Obama adminstration on the spill.  One  is how they down played the amount of oil leaking (betting most other POTUS would have done the same)  when numerous experts that had studied the actual videos of the oil leaking out warned that the estimates being given by BP and the gov. were low ball figures.   I also did not like how the government was concerned about how much oil dispercant chemicals BP was using but never issued any guide lines on how much they would allow.  The third thing I did not care for was when the Obama administration after the well was plugged tried to suggest that most of the oil had miraculously broken up and disappeared and was no longer a threat.

Typical intelligent reply Don.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

LOL, an excuse????? They had hired security(maybe Xe by chance?) to keep out reporters and contain their PR damage, and they roughed up some reporter because he tried to get pictures of the extent of the damage. Not only that, they tried to buy off people's silence by signing non-disclosure agreements so they could get some mula from BP to replace the incomes that they lost due to BP's actions.

Oh well, all is good now and BP is posting profits again in the billions. The ridiculous "boycotts" have fizzled out, which were stupid anyway, because that gas station across the street from the BP gas station, gets it's gas from the same place more often than not.

So, is shrimp on the appetizer menu Thursday, or is it off? Heard that there's a new kind that you just dump in the pan and add heat and it frys all by itself, and that it "tastes like chicken" too.