cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

I don't know which is worse.

This: https://www.agriculture.com/markets/newswire/update-1-us-epa-to-seek-comment-on-potential-general-bl...

Or this: https://www.agriculture.com/news/business/dozens-of-ethanol-plants-idle-production-in-early-2021?did...

I have absolutely no doubt that the petroleum industry supported trump and cheered on the insurrectionist-in-chief at every opportunity, including last week.  And while for the past four years they had every opportunity to buy $3 corn & blend dirt cheap ethanol, what did they do?  Just everything they could to crush the ethanol industry and get out of blending ethanol by every way possible including blatantly illegal EPA waivers.

And now when the wages of their despicable support for trump have come due and the weather in SA has made corn worth $5, what do they due, only throw their tiny hands in the air and wail, "woe is us, poor little oil industry".

I can think of no better way to keep that atmospheric poisoning carbon in the ground than by making them increasing the amount of ethanol they blend.  And now that the EPA has OK'd higher blends and waived the summer vapor pressure requirement, they've got no excuse.

Let them buy that $5 corn, shut up, and learn their lesson.

10 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: I don't know which is worse.

$5 corn and $2.00 gasoline does anyone think those factors are positive to a booming ethanol industry?   Even $3 corn and $2 gas, that doesn`t put ethanol in Bitcoin returns territory.   Profitable ethanol was build before the US became energy independent (something we all claimed we wanted).  

Biden promised he would rescind the RFS waivers...will that be before or after he takes our guns?   Smiley Happy

erikjohnson61y
Advisor

Re: I don't know which is worse.

Maybe the price won't be the only driver for drivers (see what I did there) on ethanol anymore. Still, I've been running E30 in my 2015 pickup and my wife's 2013 Edge for nearly two years now. But there's only one station in town that offers it. I can get E20 in a couple other places. Interestingly, it happens fairly regularly (once a month or so) that the station is out of E30, so it must be more than just the guys with the souped up subaru's buying it.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: The first thing they could is ...

The first thing they could do is take a lesson from the electric utility industry.  Here in this state, some years ago now, the state forced the utilities to separate their electrical generation capacity from the distribution system and allow competition among energy suppliers.  The immediate effect was to price coal-generated electricity out of the market and dramatically cut prices. Previously the utilities had been subsiding the more expensive coal power by the artificially higher transmission costs.

That was a big lesson right there.  Right now, these integrated petroleum production and distribution outfits get to manipulate the accounting offsetting the price of gasoline with profits from the sale of $3 soft drinks, etc.

roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: The first thing they could is ...

So.....ethanol got the blame a few years ago for higher food prices because the corn market price went higher. Now, the higher corn price has caused lower profits in the ethanol industry.

There is a fine line and middle ground in here somewhere. But please, don’t expect the politicians to find that middle ground. They are not that smart. 

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: The politicians will find the ground ....

The politicians will find the ground you tell them to find.  I've been on the right side of the trump issue with some of them for a while so I don't mind telling them what I think should be done and I will.

roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: The politicians will find the ground ....

Haha. There are many Americans like you who voice their opinions and like you, I don’t mind telling them what I think. However, Politicians are only going to do what their contributors tell them to do. Follow the money.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: That's why I contribute, maybe not ..

That's why I contribute, maybe not as much as some but you'd be surprised how much more they pay attention to you if you've given them a little because of what it signals.  It's like a seed company giving you a free hat, it makes them just a little bit obligated.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

It is called the protection racket.   Contribute or we will make your life hell on earth.  Only a fool would listen to them or pay them.   And they don't need it...... they steal all they need through the federal budget process.

You both agreed nothing they say can be relied on.  Nothing they print can be relied on.  And whether you agree or not.  It is just money down a rat hole.  Neither side of this is worth our time...... the anarchy that goes on by protestors whether in DC or Seattle,  The washington mall and capital steps or in the congressional chambers where slander and the threat of destruction of careers happens if you don't toe the party line.  But personal attacks have become an everyday occurance while in session or in front of a microphone.    It is all ugly and this is how it reacts when power is threatened by those rogue states in flyover country.  "destruction is better than loosing power"  so destruction is what we get.

Why would you throw gasoline on a fire with another contribution????  Unless you like destruction from within or from outside.   Politics is the God we serve.

k-289
Senior Advisor

CONservative   or  PROgressive   could  be  in  concert,  tandem  with  Malfeasance   -  ?