cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

I don’t read the comics

Haven’t for years. Not really sure why I stopped. Used to be the 1st Section I looked at in the Sunday Paper.

I doubt I could have missed out on seeing anything as purely funny as this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/08/31/trump-capitol-riot-insurrection-mccarthy-threat-apple...

6 Replies
Edmund55
Senior Contributor

Re: I don’t read the comics

(usatoday House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy warned "a Republican majority will not forget" telecommunications companies that turn over phone records to the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6  Capitol attack.          More than 30 companies including Apple, AT&T and Verizon, received a request for phone records from congressional investigators Monday.)

Yea, I remember your outrage there bruceQ when apple would turn over records when:

Attorney General William Barr made a very public appeal to Apple to unlock the iPhone of the shooter in last month's attack at a naval air station in Pensacola, Florida. Barr has been outspoken about his belief that tech companies have an obligation to provide access to encrypted devices when requested by law enforcement, and Apple has been steadfast in its position that it not only won't comply, but can't. 

In the most prominent example, the company actually defied a court order to unlock the device belonging to the San Bernardino mass-shooter. The FBI eventually accessed that device without Apple's help, working with a third-party security firm.

Dang hypocrats

bruce MN
Advisor

What was amusing had nothing to do with whether they get them or not.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Things in America have ceased to be funny. You used to be able to laugh at senile old guys like joebiden, but when an azzhat like that becomes a fake president, the joke is on us.

Was in Pipestone MN yesterday, along with the fake kids and fake wife, and went to a fake national park there. The good people of that town and community used to put on a Song of Hiawatha pageant each year, with hundreds of participants and a play I guess. After many decades of doing so, this came to a halt in 2008.

I was thinking, what on earth happened in 2008, and then it dawned on me that that was the year things in America started getting very real. Communism and totalitarianism used to be something we were fighting on distant shores to keep it from getting a foothold here, in the land of the free. I don't know if that was the watershed event that was the beginning of the end for the pageant, though, but it makes for a good fake story.

bruce MN
Advisor

Attended the pageant often. Had a few relatives that participated in the pageant and worked on the committee that put it on.

My Mother-in-law worked in the gift shop at the park for years.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Communist plot or maybe just .....

Quote Midwest Weekends:

But "Song of Hiawatha'' was performed for the last time in 2008, not because locals considered it an anachronism, but because it was too much work.

"It's in the middle of summer, and it's gotten hard to find people willing to participate,'' said lifelong Pipestone resident Eugene Hanson. "I hate to see it go.''

The audience had fallen off, too. Many younger people never have heard of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and fewer still can appreciate an 1855 poem that's set to the meter of a Finnish epic, based on third-hand Ojibwe legends, filled with Christian imagery and bloated by Victorian romanticism.

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Communist plot or maybe just .....

Wouldn’t ever happen but wish Mr. Just Know It All could talk to my sister-in-law who probably shed the last drop of blood in the effort to keep it going. First thing he’d probably do is recognize himself and walk away.

Thinking back to him telling us about a trip he and the little woman took to a SC MN county fair back in the mid “aughts” and how the volunteer Fair Board had been gracious enough to put on a grandstand show just for them.