cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

I'm perplexed???

How does charlie rangel keep getting re-elected? Why does mitch mcconnell want to keep earmarks? (vote on earmarks this week) i thought the big repubs were fiscally conservative?

63 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I'm perplexed???

McConnell is a RINO. Him and Lugar need to go.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Short Answer.....

Short Answer..... It is profitable to them, and they "spread the wealth around" to those who help get them re-elected.

Take heart, however.... the new guys elected this month, are those Tea Party type folks who answer to a higher calling.  They make the liberals and RINOs both sweat and worry.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hey Ida, Rangle is in one of those districts where the only requirement to winning is being the Democrat on the ticket, he has other things going for him that I really don`t what to get into now Smiley Happy  . Earmarks, for me is such a 3rd tier issue that I had to look up the definition to be sure of what I was replying about. I can see where the party in power want earmarks and those out of the loop are against. They`re kind of like farm subsidies, we`re against them but if you`re the only farmer in the neighborhood not taking them, you`ve just shot yourself in the foot. The country is so polarized politically that if you throw a politician under the bus over earmarks, you may end up with confiscatory taxes, gay marriages and gun control.  

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Translation: you're not for them, you're just against the potential outcome of eliminating them.

That kind of shoots that whole "deficits" whining and "cut spending" mantra all to hell, doesn't it????????

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Is the term RINO what you use publicly or for a scapegoat when they do something that you don't like, but still vote for them anyway??????

I'm just trying to fully understand the right wing extremist codeword's.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well Tom, when either party throws a tantrum and doesn`t vote, the other side gets to make all the rules for 2,4 or maybe 8 years. To paraphrase the great Sean Connery from The Rock - "We tried is what the Losers say while the Winners are bleeping the cheerleaders after the game".  Oh, and the Republicans are the LESSER of the two evils. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Well, it comes back to who wants to go first. Everybody likes the fame and notoriety of being the first at something, except when it comes to money. Earmarks to me have always been finding a place to spend excess money while at the same time allowing politicians to acquire some bragging rights and election credentials. Take Alaska for example, if anybody wants to live in a sparsely populated and outdoorsy state, great. But, receiving more than double the amounts that they contribute from the federal government is ridiculous in budgetary terms.

It has to start somewhere, and believe me, I want my politicians to bring back some government benefits to IL because we are a "payer", but it has to start, and now. If there is unaccounted or unallocated money to be available for whimsical spending to political contributors, then there is too much going in.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

have you seen one of those charts where it lays out the number of federal dollars that flow to D.C. from each state compared to the number that flow back? Damned to near an inversion,

Biggest actual relative total expense the federal government probably ever took on was fighting to keep the Confederate states in and THEN, after defeating them, actually TAKING THEM back in to the system.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

LOL, I guess that I'm not the only one that thought that was a huge net loss ever since.

Anybody with a lick of sense that wants a better life for themselves and their family heads North, now and in the past. I say if Texas wants to secede, let 'em. Take out all the federal government's interests and watch all the smart people(and wealth) migrate to the North. If they don't kill each other first, they'd be the "NEW" Mexico.