cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: I'm perplexed???

Actually, you have a far different memory of the 90's and the 00's than I have and I thought my memory was shot.

Veteran Advisor

Your description of some of those programs and bringing up the 90s doesn't fit. It's more appropropriate to look back to the 1950s and early 60s and the soil bank programs. Programs that paid  free and clear for alot of farm land in this country by leaving it out of production for 5 years or so and then busting it back open. But, then, much of that was 100-300 dollar land that was available in a big wave of out migration (it always happens in spurts).

It's programs like that, and massive dept write downs 30 years later that  form the basis for many of out exemplary modern farm enterprises today. The early adapter,  efficient producer, prudent marketer thing is not alot more than a series of duplicities and redundancies and is highly over valued. It's become dirt and machine and energy to corn and beans..simple as that. In this environment much, much to much credit and adulation is laid upon the duplistic, generic, cookie cutter operator..... he's proven over time to be more easily replacable than the just above average skilled laborer.

Someone finding him or her self in a postion where they are a current benficiary of a decade of extreme subsidization and safety net constructino and inplementation and now a windfall market has to be thinking "life is good". Lots fo good, hard working people are getting returns that they've labored hard over time for. But it's dangerous for any of them to think that the way things are right now, that they had much of anything to do with it and that there is any lasting sanctity to it. Where it all goes is going to be determined by what happens to and in the major investment and banking institutions much more than any particular management decisions that any particular farm operator makes (after having been told, of course, what that decision will be by his agronomist or veterinarian) will.

Senior Contributor

so you weren`t

collecting LDP`s 10 years ago??? Trying to "lock in $2 fall corn" and capture a 50 cent LDP to cover your $2.50 cost of production. Stay off the meth dude, your brain is cooked. 

Senior Contributor

Oh I agree Bruce you can trace things back to the 50`s soil bank. I see farms that had received gov`t payments to be tiled and today are DNR(do nothing right) land with the tile plugged and duck hunting. Thanks for bringing up the Government debt write offs of the 80`s, there are a lot of A**hole BTO farmers flying high today and by rights way should have went broke back then. I better shut up one day I might have to rent out my land to those jerks  Smiley Happy 

Senior Advisor

Re: so you weren`t

I suppose i could dig up some old tax returns.

Veteran Contributor

Federal government is now in charge of building the fence in Texas.  If Texans were in charge it would be built.  Texas is a wealthy state in case you didn't know.  It's probably where alot of your gas comes from.   My state of Louisiana too.  If the rest of the south was in charge down there the fence might not be built but an illegal probably would be really afraid to cross the border.  No need for a fence.  We don't really care for the political correctness bullsh*t you yankees do.     

Senior Contributor

Cotman, I'm from IN. I view the people of the south as the cream of the nation.

Senior Contributor

Dittos 3020!

Veteran Advisor

Federal government is now in charge of building is paying to build the fence in Texas.

There are refineries there because that's where the oil comes in at, pure and simple.

Take out all the federal government's interests such as military bases, airport and ports, and what have they got in Texas? The federal government financed building those things along with many roads and other things, not Texas. Why is that if Texas and Louisiana are so wealthy, or did they become so wealthy because the federal government foots the bill for everything and those two states keep their money instead of paying for it themselves??????????? 

We all know about how you folks in the South care about "political correctness" with not only many instances from the past, but your current examples too. That's really not something to be proud of, but obviously you are.

Veteran Advisor

Bruce, I came across this yesterday, and the data is from 2005. You can cross-reference it to the data in the article from 1995, and see that's there's little if any change, except of course the amount of complaining about the same government, but always from the same bunch.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005