Photo

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: typical demorat

doesnt see that billions add up --must be an obamolite thing

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Mental midget responds

Entitlements do not include any of the things you mentioned.  Entitlements are the programs that people have paid into and upon reaching retirement age as prescribed by law, they are entitled to draw out a part of that money based on how much they paid into.  The rest is arguable.  The military isn't costing as much as it did but that money spent has not been paid back so it is a big cause of the total debt.

Taylor ECIL
Senior Contributor

en·ti·tle·ment
 (n-ttl-mnt)

n.
1. The act or process of entitling.
2. The state of being entitled.
3. A government program that guarantees and provides benefits to a particular group

See it depends on how you want to define a word as to whether it means what it says. A government program that gaurantees and provide benefits.....most of the thing he mentioned are included.
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: I think the debt debacle is silly

Faust, repudiating the existing debt and starting over is basically what Hitler and his Nazi regime did to get Germany back on track. In the short run of a decade or so, it worked out fantastically. In the long run, well....not so good. Not sure that we wish to follow that example, but I do believe many would find that a popular option.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

Entitlements do not include any of the things you mentioned.  Entitlements are the programs that people have paid into and upon reaching retirement age as prescribed by law, they are entitled to draw out a part of that money based on how much they paid into.  The rest is arguable.  The military isn't costing as much as it did but that money spent has not been paid back so it is a big cause of the total debt.

The money that has not been paid back is the money used for the war on poverty.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Do you really think

@kraft-t wrote:

welfare queens are soaking this country for a trillion a year?

I didn't say welfare queens, I said waste, fraud, cheats, and people gaming the system.   If you are going to make fun of me, at least use my own words.

How many billion for condems?How many billion for chinese hookers? How many billions for Obama phones?

I do not know.  I was just using them as examples, of blatant wastes of taxpayer money?  In my opinion, if only 50 cents of taxpayer money went to Chinese hookers, it was too much.  I think our problem is not so much one 'big' spending thing, but many little excesses.   Much like the person who is always short of cash, saying it can't be because of recless spending, who then go to Starbucks, and drink a $7 cup of coffee, on the way to the video game rental place.

But....since you brought the subject up:

There's almost 2 Billion, with a B, in proven food stamp overpayments, and fraud, according to the GAO (see link in text)

Waste Fraud and Abuse Within Specific Reconciliation Categories:

Food Stamps:

The Food Stamp Program paid out $1.9 billion in overpayments in 2009, according to GAO.

Here's another.   Note the amount 300+ BILLION

General Waste Fraud and Abuse:

While the following examples of federal waste, fraud, and abuse are not necessarily from programs addressed in this proposal, they help to illustrate the fact that it’s not how much the government spends, but how the government spends it. 

1. The GSA spent $823,000 on a lavish Las Vegas-area conference, including $75,000 for a “Team-Building” exercise, a $31,200 “Networking” reception, and mind reader.
  2. This year, GAO identified 32 new areas of duplication and 19 additional areas of waste and inefficiency. The report cites duplication in almost a thousand individual programs, costing taxpayers over $300 billion per year.

From CATO:

http://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/waste-fraud-abuse-government-health-care

Medicare & Medicaid Fraud
Medicare and Medicaid are rife with fraud and other types of improper payments. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services estimates that Medicare made at least $48 billion in improper payments in 2010.9  That figure does not include improper payments in Part D, which auditors believe is also highly susceptible to abuse.10  Nevertheless, $48 billion amounts to more than 9 percent of total Medicare spending and nearly four times the combined profits of private health insurance companies.11  CMS also estimates that the federal government alone made $22.5 billion in improper Medicaid payments in 2010, making the combined total of improper payments in the two programs somewhere north of $70 billion per year.12

That puts us close to 400 BILLION in waste, fraud, and abuse that I managed to find that was already documented, and posted on the web, in just a couple minutes.
  Think about it, close to $400 BILLION of our $1 trillion deficit, can be found, in waste, fraud, abuse, etc.

But, to some, we don't have a spending problem......

In case you are going to argue that I'm just parroting some right wing nutcase, take the link, to the GAO, which is a government agency that found $300 billion wasted.   You do trust the government to be honest, don't you?

The military is far over have the budget because much of their spending has been?

Again, read the words I typed, and try to comprehend them.   I never said the military has nothing to do with the deficit, all I was saying is they are not the one problem, the problem is too much spending, in too many areas, with too little accountability of where it is spent.

Either way, if you look up the facts, the ENTIRE military budget, is roughly only half of the deficit.   Not just the increases for the wars, but the entire funding, which I think may include veteren's benefits.

off budget.

The repubs are targeting entirtlements and their first targets are SS and medicare follwed closely by medicaid.

I keep hearing that, but when I poke around, and do a search of who cut funding to SS or Medicare, I come up with the same answer.

The Obama Administration.

They cut funding for Medicare, and cut the payroll tax, which determines how much money goes into SS and Medicare.   Now, either Obama is a Republican, or someone has something wrong.

Here are my links, to back up my story, can I see yours?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-05/payroll-tax-cuts-seen-by-some-obama-allies-as-undermining-s...

Some Democratic lawmakers say that, while President Barack Obama’s plan to cut payroll taxes may strengthen the U.S. economy, it may have some unintended fallout: weakening Social Security.

The lawmakers and advocacy groups say they are concerned the tax cuts may undermine political support for the retirement program, which provides benefits to almost 55 million Americans and is funded by the payroll levies.

-snip-

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/obama_medicare_cuts_real_deadly_NiarnPaClVP8qD4u...

Expect Joe Biden to tee up Medicare in tonight’s debate against Paul Ryan. In campaign stops this week, the vice president repeatedly harangued that the Romney/Ryan ticket “says that we’re cutting Medicare. Nothing could be further from the truth.”

Sorry, Joe: It’s exactly the truth.

The Congressional Budget Office confirms that the Obama health law cuts $716 billion from Medicare’s future funding over the next decade. That will result in less money to pay hospitals, doctors, hospice care, dialysis centers and Advantage plans that care for seniors.

Hospitals will have $247 billion less to care for the same number of seniors than if the law had not been enacted.

-snip-

So, one party actually cuts the funding, then throws around accusations that it is actually the other party, that would do this sort of thing, even though they actually haven't, and you buy it?

Once again I regret responding to you. What a fing waste!

Oh, and PS, I will say this again, I am not a Republican.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Snooky

@Snooky1953 wrote:

I double, and even triple-checked the definition of 'entitlment' and this is what I have found:

Ask.com, I highlighted a few bits of it to make my point:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_entitlement

Answer:
An "entitlement program" is generally one for which an individual qualifies simply by virtue of his or her circumstances. For example, the Social Security law has several components, some of which are "entitlements" and some are not. The largest program, SS Retirement is NOT an entitlement as an individual qualifies for it only by virtue of having paid into the program at least forty quarters; Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disabilities ARE entitlements because an individual is entitled to SSI simply by having a very low income and to SSD after being disabled for at least six months. Similarly, the largest portion of Medicare--health insurance of seniors--is NOT an "entitlement" as one qualifies by paying into the system and paying premiums. Medicaid and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, on the other hand, ARE entitlements as qualification depends on a set of circumstances in which an individual may find himself. Unemployment Compensation is an insurance program paid by employers (and employees, who can elect to supplement UC)and is NOT an entitlement

From another website:

What is an entitlement program? It is a program that establishes certain eligibility criteria and anyone fitting that criteria may receive its benefits. Medicare and Social Security are the two largest entitlement programs. Anyone meeting the eligibility requirements may receive benefits from these two programs.

Until I did a bunch of digging, I thought the first definition, was what an 'entitlement' was, namely, a benefit you recieved, given a certain circumstance.  I never thought of SS as an entitlement, because it was something you paid into, and then recieved (like an insurance policy, or a contract).  
However, on reading deeper, I belive the second definition seems to be more widely accepted, that an entitlement can be considered any government benefit you recieve, if you meet the criteria of it, with the criteria of SS being you paid into it a certain amount.  I guess by that definition, the farm program (and subsidized insurance) could be an entitlement, as could rent assistance, and welfare.
However,  I will stand by my original point, that it is the recless spreading around of money, without figuring how to pay for it, that has gotten the US into fiscal trouble.

Oh, and here's an interesting read on SS and Medicare benefits, and the reasons that some types of reforms are needed.   Note that the average person retiring now, or in the near future will on average recieve quite a bit more in benefits, than they ever paid into the system.   If we don't tweak anything, it will be a great bargain for those collecting now, or who will be collecting soon, but it will just be one more thing added to the debt load that us younger generations will have to carry.

(a snippet from the article)

Let's take a couple of 56-year-olds, one earning $43,100 and the other $19,400. By the time they retire in 2020, they will have paid a combined total of $595,000 in Social Security and Medicare taxes. But they likely will reap an estimated $946,000 in benefits.

I wonder how long that can be sustained, without some sort of reform?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

We don't repudiate the debt we pay it off

With revenues and the printing presses as the debt matures. The republicans are the debt creators in that they chose to starve the treasury into radical political reforms. Yes by tax cuts and excessive tax incentives that were designed to favor rich people at the treasury's expense.

No cash should be printed without congressional approval. And it shoiuld be required when ever congress spends more than the revenues come in. There would be no debt. American would pay for their government through taxes or inflation. One way or the other it would be paid.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Snooky

Well, You are probably right but since SSI and SSD were not specifically mentioned while SS was, I told you that Social Security is NOT an entitlement.  I don't get the other two so they don't enter my mind.  I hope you don't think that $500 million plus that was paid into just sits there waiting until those guys retire and then they start sending it out.  That money is invested, therefore it grows.  The guy who only makes $19K a year won't be getting all that much but the other guy will get between $1500 and $2000 a month less his Medicare premium.  I wish they had put those other two programs under something else but I don't think/believe that money comes out of the SS funds but rather directly from taxes and the general fund.  As for your definition, I would say that if I paid into a fund expecting that I would get something out of it when I retired, it would be an entitlement to me but because I paid into it.  You're playing with semantics now.