cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Mental midget responds

As I said to Neb, semantics is playing a role here.  I can say that your mommy told you that you could have a piece of cake after you cleaned out the chicken coop.  You finished and are now "entitled" to that piece of cake.  Had you supplied the ingredients for the cake to be baked by your mother, you could say you are entitled to some of the cake because you "paid" into it.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: We need to starve the beast

why isnt the reason for debt all demorat and stupid social engineering

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Snooky

@Snooky1953 wrote:

Well, You are probably right but since SSI and SSD were not specifically mentioned while SS was, I told you that Social Security is NOT an entitlement.  I don't get the other two so they don't enter my mind.  I hope you don't think that $500 million plus that was paid into just sits there waiting until those guys retire and then they start sending it out.  That money is invested, therefore it grows.

No, what happens is, the money is spent on the people drawing benefits.   There is no place where 'Snooky's' money, or 'Neb's' money sits, getting invested.   Most of it is spent as it comes in, and any extra gets funneled into the general fund.   Only a fraction of the money ever draws interest.

The guy who only makes $19K a year won't be getting all that much but the other guy will get between $1500 and $2000 a month less his Medicare premium.  I wish they had put those other two programs under something else but I don't think/believe that money comes out of the SS funds but rather directly from taxes and the general fund.  As for your definition, I would say that if I paid into a fund expecting that I would get something out of it when I retired, it would be an entitlement to me but because I paid into it.  You're playing with semantics now.

I am not playing with semantics, because I never intended to blame the deficitt on SS/Medicare.   Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but as of right now, they are not paying out more than they are taking in, so by their very definition, they cannot be adding to the deficit (although reforms will need to eventually be made, but that is for a different subject).

I was using the first definition of 'entitlement', which is recieving government benefits, because of the circumstance you are in.   For example, if you are an alcoholic hooker in China, you may qualify for a government entitlement.  I hope I explained that better.  I also thought I emphasized that I belived waste, fraud, and people gaming the system were the bulk of the problem, but maybe I didn't, so I will do so now..  We are running a bit over 1 trillion in deficits.   The GAO (the government's General Accounting Office) has rounded up 300 Billion in waste and redundancies.   Close to 30% of the deficit is in the form of waste, that has already been identified.  
Why do some people think that is of no concern?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

As I said to Neb, semantics is playing a role here.  I can say that your mommy told you that you could have a piece of cake after you cleaned out the chicken coop.  You finished and are now "entitled" to that piece of cake.  Had you supplied the ingredients for the cake to be baked by your mother, you could say you are entitled to some of the cake because you "paid" into it.

Mommy robber your piggy bank to get the ingredients then ate the cake with her boy friend while you were out doing the work. Money is gone, cake is gone, and mommy is looking to see if you have another piggy bank cause she doesn't want to lose her boy friend.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I was meaning 'entitlement' as a form of automatic benefits, for your circumstances.

For example, everyone who comes over for my birthday, gets a piece of the cake.

Nothing was done to 'earn' it, other than showing up, and being hungry.