cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wehav
Senior Contributor

I thought chruch was for Christ

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/valerie-jarrett-blasts-republicans-pulpit_616821.html

Disgusting and she is like all in the Obama camp, a liar.

9 Replies
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: I thought chruch was for Christ

I suppose that all those "evangelicals" who dominate the Iowa republican caucuses turn out spontaneously?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I'm listening for the liberals who keep calling for churches to lose their tax exempt status to pipe in here about this particular church.
bruce MN
Advisor

There is more effective and policy influencing political rhetoric coming down from church pulpits on any given Sunday morning or Wednesday evening in this country than all that comes forth from the internet, newspapers and other periodicals and walk up speeches and forums combined in that same week.

Ebeenezer Babtist is just one of them. 

It's almost unbeleivable....you couldn't have gotten two people in the world 20 years ago that The Weekly Standard would have taken up an evangelical screed like this.  It was the product of secular intellectuals who had a classical business and Anglo exceptionalism cause.  

It's been driven by extreme anti-democratic (NOTE: small "d") idealogically since it's inception, but this takes that to an entire new level.  Buckley Sr. has to be spinning in his grave.

bruce MN
Advisor

You can bet the farm that Ebeneezer Babtist would give theirs up in a heartbeat if that was a realistic and  universal possiblity. 

Hundreds of churches in the country would.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Could be.  However, at our church, there never was a mention of a candidate, or even a political party, when elections would come up, by anyone at the pulpit.  The closest they ever came, was to ask that the congregation study the candidates positions, and past record, and see how it jived with their beliefs.

bruce MN
Advisor

Well run outfit, it sounds like.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Yes it is, run by decent, honest folk.

While I know that there are plenty of 'Churches' that are run by hypocrites, and others that are full of hypocrites, and probably most churches have at least a couple, I consider ours to be one of the more honest ones, and I find it insulting to be lumped in with the crooked ones.  The sad thing is, there are some out there, that do give us all a bad name. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: chruches

are for people with broken legs.

bruce MN
Advisor

I'd expect that the obvious decency or yours and the humility that lies behind mine would allow for them to go on if the exemption was removed.

Maybe the congregations around the country shouldl be polled rather than he leaders of the most abusive sects be summarily believed in the making of policy.  I'd like tos ee that chance taken.