cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I went to Church today

The sermon was about "forgiveness" which I thought was very appropriate for this 9-11 day.  See, to forgive is for the victim, it helps them move on, it`s doesn`t require you to "forget" or forbids bringing the wrongdoer to justice or even trust or have a friendship with the wrongdoer.  Just remove that power the evildoer has against you.  There`s a Chinese saying `Before seeking vengence, first dig 2 graves`  the 2nd grave for yourself, which is actually a very Christian belief.  With all this bombardment of 9/11  ceremonies, I really don`t know if it promotes healing as much as it does opening old wounds. JMHO if we allow ourselves to be overrun with emotions, it`s very difficult to make the correct decisions.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: I went to Church today

Hard to watch. In fact I am not watching much of it. Easy to still feel anger today. We are merely human.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I think the angst of 9-11 clouded our good judgment, which was probably one of the evil genius's main intents.

We felt the need to go to war without thinking it through and as a result, we are teetering on the edge of financial ruin.

Italians also have a saying about revenge, actually I think it is from Sicily...."VEngeance is a dish that is best served cold."  I think we could have waited and choose the time and the place for vengeance and the USA would have been in a far greater place right now. Bush caved into the politics of the moment, and had other goals that this event made expedient.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

The sermon was about "forgiveness" which I thought was very appropriate for this 9-11 day.  See, to forgive is for the victim, it helps them move on, it`s doesn`t require you to "forget" or forbids bringing the wrongdoer to justice or even trust or have a friendship with the wrongdoer.  Just remove that power the evildoer has against you.  There`s a Chinese saying `Before seeking vengence, first dig 2 graves`  the 2nd grave for yourself, which is actually a very Christian belief.  With all this bombardment of 9/11  ceremonies, I really don`t know if it promotes healing as much as it does opening old wounds. JMHO if we allow ourselves to be overrun with emotions, it`s very difficult to make the correct decisions.

I did not go to church but have said on here for almost 10 years now that the mistake your country made was seeking vengance and not forgiving or at least setting an example of restraint and peaceful means of 'getting' those responsible for the attacks on 11th of Sept 2001.

Too late to change now and your country has paid and will continue to pay a heavy price for the decisions made back then. Decisions that a majority of your voters agreed to.

The 10th anniversary 'celebrations' in yiour country are mirrored in others but maybe handled differently by different media.

Is it used to continue the hatred set off back then or is it used to look back and try to find better ways to go forward?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

It does give the old war hawks a reason for their macho talk, flag waving and strutting their stuff.

I find the memory of 9/11 is sickening as it was then and our response to it misguided.

Highlighted
Advisor

Haven't been around TV for a coupel of days so missed it. (Got to listen to the Vikings fold while driving, which I could have done without.) I heard there was alot of 9-11 commemorative coverage.

Just saw this which is impressive:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/11/jim-cornelison-national-anthem-bears-falcons_n_957470.html

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have been reading many articles written by top journos about how the hipshot reaction by the US has led them to where they are today.  The lust for blood and instant revenge under the guidance of the brain dead Bush will ensure the war continues until someone has the guts to call a halt.   Mean while, the chinese and Russians are watching the US; economy slide to the point a fire sale is not far off.   And they will be there to pick up the scraps.  It is so sad.

Highlighted

I'd like to know how much money was spent on 9/11 ads for the football games today.

It makes me feel better to know that Verizon, Budweiser etc. feel our pain.

"course according to the Supremes they are people and can participate n the political process so that makes me feel better.

We're in compassionate hands.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Spent a glorious 3 days in San Diego.  Didn't see or hear any 9/11 stuff the entire time.  Didn't want to.  I think all it did was bring up all the Islamic hate again and the crazies have more ammo to spread that hate.  It is OK to honor the dead and to remember but enough is enough.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

And I have said and continue to believe that OBL `shot his load` on 9/11, had he found more than 19 young men wanting to lay for eternity with 70 virgins, there would have been more planes hijacked.  Oh there have been nitwit copycat shoe bombers that even a mall cop could spot, but those with the precision to carry out another 9/11 are, for the most part gone.  Beyond the goat herder shaking his fist at drones flying overhead, the majority of America`s enemies couldn`t find us on a map under a big red X.  At the Farm Bureau meeting the other day we discussed that interstate hiways could be designed with absolutely no fatalities, the problem is, we could never afford them, so we aim for a balance of safety and affordability.  The same should be applied to protection from terrorism.  Today everyone is afraid of their own shadows, that is unsustainable. Howard Fineman said `in the last 10 yrs we`ve spent nearly $4 Trillion on terror/war, most of it propping up the economy`.  Hindsight being 20/20 with no WMD`s found, at least $3 trillion was squandered, with fear still high after 10 yrs, alot of opportunity lost, put right on the nation`s credit card.  The 9/11 perpetrators should and were brought to justice, however this has turned into nation building that continued on, even with a change in administrations.  Are we going to dredge up old emotions at every 9/11 anniversary divisable by 5?  Just to legitamize the TSA pulling off Grannie`s underpants and the NSA listening to all the wiretapp gossip of housewives.  Even if we don`t have a problem with big brother doing those things, can we afford it?