Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: So every three years....

@KNAPPer wrote:

I nailed that one!

And, what is wrong with that?  Regulations that are killing business, put forth by liberal hacks will not be re-newed, and will "sunset" and go away.  Businesses then can grow their holdings and therefore hire many workers.

Let us say that some liberal EPA regulation makes it illegal to run your combine because it makes too much dust.  Farmers stop growing food, people begin to starve and vote out the liberal law makers, the regulation "sunsets" and people begin to grow their wealth again.

Also, corporations will be less likely to give large campaign contributions to anyone if they think that the regulations will go away on their own, anyway.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: a solution.

I would be in favor of reducing ALL the different brackets for EVERYONE by 10% and giving zero deductions except for the dependents which everyone gets now.  No loop holes and no fast depreciations.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: a solution.

I agree.  What good does it do to have a 30% or whatever tax bracket, when some people, or corporations get special loopholes, and pay far less.  The examples someone gave of Wal-Mart paying 30%+ and GE paying nothing are perfect examples. 
If memory serves me right, I think the 'average' of what a corp pays is just under 14%.
Why not just make the rate 15%, and then everyone pays it?

Or would that be too simple?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Identify the problem to create a solution.

Maybe you buy new combines, I sure don't. Without some incentives to encourage farmers to buy new combines, the supply of used combines gets pretty tight, and that affects guys like me in that market.

In fact, the sales of new combines have been so rebust the last couple of years, that late model combines are starting to pile up on dealer lots according to an article I recently read. This depresses prices and creates bargains for those that need a nice used combine.

Maybe I can afford to get rid of my twenty year old combines and join the current decade again. Once can only wish.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Identify the problem to create a solution.

I've never owned a new combine in my life.  I don't buy into the argument that people need to be encouraged to buy new equipment.  There will always be that breed out there that doesn't want any delays from breakdowns that will buy new equipment every year.  If new equipment is made to make the job of farming easier and adds to the bottom line, farmers don't need encouragement for the betterment of their operations. 

What's really happening right now with regards to ag. equipment is another mirage forming where manufacturers expect and project current demand to last.  What happens to all those factory workers once crop prices drop?  They will be in line and the unemployment office.  Things that are currently going on here locally remind me an awful lot of things thirty years ago.  There's a lot of rented ground changing hands. 

I also don't like how different sectors are being singled out.  The corporate jet and big oil tax increases proposed by Obama are nothing more than taking away their accelerated depreciation.  It appears to me that if the gov't is going to take it away it needs to be taken away from every sector.