cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

If one were a stupid president or wanted to destroy America

There would be a number of ways.

One would be to cut the military down so we are unable to defend ourselves as we are only a small percentage of the world population.  The next would be to arm and train other countries and increase their militaries. 

Yes great ideas, disarm yourself, arm potential enemies and train them.  I'm certain that our friends today will always be our friends, just like in the past.  So I'm probably way off base.

Military analyst James Carafano of the Heritage Foundation said: “This strategy is nothing more than a giant rubber stamp for Obama’s budget cuts. The strategy is basically, ‘There are four legs to the armed forces stool. Let’s saw off two of them, the Army and Marines, and stand on what is left.’”

The military strategists acknowledge that what they are doing is risky.

10 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: If one were a stupid president or wanted to destroy America

Our military budget is as much as the rest of the world combined. Why should you and I and my children and their children pay to defend a wealthy South Korea from a impoverished North Korea? Why should we defend a wealthy Japan? Who are we defending Germany from? Who is going to wage an actual war against this country? We have to defend ourselves, but that's it, no one else.

The problem with Obama, is he may cut the military, but the money he'll just spend, plus more, on methods of your enslavement.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Sam, I've always had a great deal of respect for your opinion.  I value your input. 

I'll have to think about what you've said. 

I do wonder if the statement you made is accurate and even if it is does it reflect something else?  I'll explain later.  Got to go. 

Thank you for not calling me some name.

Rinaldo

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Okay Sam, I had a minute

I knew your statement was a lot like," if we can put a man on the moon why can't we cure the common cold?"

In other words it's a false anology to compare our military spending to the rest of the world for several reasons.  Among them is the amount of money we have available to spend and another is the percentage that other countries spend in relation to their gross national product.

Just for thought consider other things that we do more of than the rest of the world.

The U.S. produces more patents and inventions than the rest of the world combined.

In 2008 Americans gave $300Bn to charity, more than the rest of the world combined

The US offers more MBA programs than the rest of the world combined and, as the numbers indicate, many institutions offer more than one program.

American scientists, trained in American graduate schools produced more Nobel Prizes, more scientific citations, more of just about anything you care to measure than any other country in the world; maybe more than the rest of the world combined

The household sector has the world’s biggest stock of financial savings, more than the rest of the world combined.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Okay Sam, I had a minute

Yeah, but we only need to defend ourselves from all those poorer nations. You don't have to be Joe frazer to beat up a third grader.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Okay Sam, I had a minute Wehav

I got attacked by Gough for saying the world was better because of the US, someone should direct him to those stats.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Okay Sam, I had a minute Wehav

@cowfarmer wrote:

I got attacked by Gough for saying the world was better because of the US, someone should direct him to those stats.

Why bother?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Samnospam wrote:
Yeah, but we only need to defend ourselves from all those poorer nations. You don't have to be Joe frazer to beat up a third grader.

One day Joe Frazier will old a feeble and the third grader may grow up to be a bully. We need to remain vigilant without breaking the bank. I want some defense cuts, not a complete disembowelment. Not saying there has been yet, just don't want it to become an ATM like the SS trust funds has.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I am not sure the military is our largest problem - an attack is something we need to be able to defend, but what about other less direct attacks? I think we need to look to what runs this country: Oil. It is a fact that we depend primarily on oil from the Middle East and that we are not capable of producing enough oil from our own resources and through our "friends" to meet our needs. Were there to be a real crisis in the Middle East, such as a war between Iran and Israel, or some other catastrophic scenario, our dependence on their oil would quickly become evident. What would happen if gas shot up to $5.00 per gallon or more? How would that do for a way to destroy America? Think about it.

I think a president who is bent on pumping all the oil we can from our own sources while ignoring the rest of the world and the fact that oil is based on a world market is far more dangerous than one who is looking to cut back the military budget. Even if we don't get most our oil from the Middle East, any crisis can, has and will send oil prices through the roof and this country will shut down economically and probably in a much broader sense. This IS a security issue really need to look towards energy independence and get working on that ASAP. If Obama ignores it too, he is dangerous.

Highlighted
Advisor

joe frazier died about a month ago