cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Senior Contributor

Re: Farmers pay house taxes too, you Ignoramus!

That`s right Tom, the other night talking to the EPA pri..... um, er guy. He said they would use satellites to check fuel storage compliance. Wellcome to Big Brother  Smiley Sad  I do have a story about their past lack of diligence in checking, but this probably isn`t the place   Smiley Wink    

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

More efficient here. We have to do the leg work and get a building permit BEFORE we build. Taxes start as soon as you finish building as per regulations.

And do not think you can build with out permit, that leads to more expense and troubles.

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

I`m Sorry

Maybe that`s why you Canadians are so ornery?   Smiley Very Happy

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Canuck, we have the same process here too. A lot of people don't want to do the building permit process because of the fact that it increases their property taxes and the outright cost of the permit. There are also "contractors" that do want to get a permit because they would be forced to do a minimum standard of work which they aren't capable of, and the homeowner thinks that it will drive up the costs of the project, or they do it themselves. A lot of "rural" areas have the permit process but no building inspector to maintain building standards and safety, but some now share an inspector on a rotating basis. The cost of satellite photos has been reduced because of widespread use to the point where they are done every year in some places to maintain the proper tax assessments.

One thing that has been overlooked by a lot of people is that since the slump in the economy, building permits have skyrocketed. Most homeowners hardly do major projects more than once and don't notice the increase in permit costs. A recent two car garage with electric was once $30 for a permit to build it with the applicable inspections, and it's now about $350. Because people don't build a garage every year, the revenue generated is done by an unaccountable political process. Politician's feet aren't held to the fire to answer for the massive increases. Of course, the increased costs leads to people bypassing the permit process.

I think that the amounts for permits for work to be done are often times not in parity with the increased value. The cost of a permit for a deck and upgraded assessment versus the true increase in value is way out of whack. A similar thing is that an asphalt driveway is assessed far lower than a concrete driveway, but the life-span and durability of asphalt for most homes is better and far longer. One is considered a permanent upgrade, and the other isn't.

Most places now have what I call the "lawn nazis" that drive around and make sure people mow their lawn, and measure the height if it, then send a nasty letter with a potential small fine if they don't mow it.

Do you have those too?

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Re: And another thing, Bruce.

Nope don'thave any hate f or  farm or farmers just have problem with those put ting themselves up as more important than other productive Americans.    As far as pailcalf remark it may be a bit off a colored remark but it pretty much decribes our present generation of farmers which  are mostly products of old assets and old money.    They ever had to endure the hard ships and pain of stating a farm busines  and making it work.   My Dad was a farmer it illness prevented  him and never did hear him proclaim hewas better or more important than any laborer or small town businessman.   

dagwud
Senior Contributor

The rising cost for permits is exactly what I was referring to in another post where I questioned if we are not paying more in "taxes" now days even though our income tax rates are lower.  Seems like they keep finding new ways to get more and more of a person's money.  Now in Iowa a farmer can not even do any of his own electrical work.  You have to hire a "qualified" licensed eletrician and then pay to have an inspector come out to make sure the electrician that they deemed to be qualified did the job right.  I can see for new construction and for large projects but for minor jobs around a farm that pop up more frequently then for a normal home owner it sure is a pain and seems like big brother wants a piece of the action.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

I have question knowing it may vary  by state& county,  In your areas if building permit required if your replacing  a exsisting out building say  small grain bins or garage?      One more thing have you ever heard of something like this a neighbor torn down some unsitely  old building  on  farm site he owned  net result was taxes increased due to what they called improvement. of property!!!!!!!

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Not really related to the ongoing discussion but something I learned that I found humorous.  While taking a group boat ride around Clear Lake on the Lady of the Lake paddle boat a fellow passenger pointed out a couple of newer houses.  I don't remember the specifics but for some reason (possibly not owning enough land) the owners of these new houses were not allowed to tear down their old existing houses and build a new one on their lake side lot.  To get around it they would tear down half the house and "remodel" and when done they would tear down and  "remodel" the other half.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: And another thing, Bruce.

Don't intend to put words in Hobby's mouth, but I can understand any off farm person being vexxed by whining farmers that get subsidies and "special' treatment by the tax code and all the while they think they are entitled to it. They talk as if government is a detriment and restrictive to them and all the while the government is helping them greatly.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.  There is just no satisfying some people. Now lets all go to EWG.com and look up all the welfare we have received since 1995. Kind of a tidy sum isn't it. If joe Six pack got that they wouldn't have any mortgage problems.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

dagwud, years ago I did that very thing. The property was right across the street from the Mississippi River, and considered in a flood plain, and I had to deal with the restrictions of the Corps. of Engineers. I tore it down to one room and rebuilt it into an A-frame "weekend cottage and office" for a client with deep pockets. If you drive across the I-80 bridge from IL. to Ia., it's on the left side, and can be seen from the bridge if you know which house it is. I have a property out of state with the same problems, and had to deal with the same thing. 

Building and Planning departments got used to big budgets and the need or justification for them, and they got really addicted to that money. They are trying to keep up the volume of money by jacking up the fees now.

Here's one for ya, most building inspectors that aren't older(pre-retirement) or really young(just out of college) are people that couldn't competently, professionally, or profitably be a legitimate contractor. Now they inspect MY work. Yea, that's a lot of fun, and often times a nightmare because of their lack of knowledge and experience.