Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If you only read the NYT you'd think

we aren't living in utopia.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: If you only read the NYT you'd think

Trump’s trumped up “economy”, the stock market, is all rosy and “great”.   Millions out of work.   Trillions spent to stem the effects of Covid.   And all probably going to end up going down a bottomless hole.

I did buy NIO at $5.00 and $6.00, which I’m pretty sure I mentioned before, after watching a 60 minutes report last year.   Yesterday, it hit $29.00.   It’s one of the few stocks that I held on to.   I should’ve bought a couple of thousand shares when it was under a couple of bucks just a few months ago.  I was too afraid to do it.   I’m glad I kept the shares I do have now though.

And I’m really glad I built my addition last year, and just have some finish up to do.   Lumber - actually most things - is big time sticker shock.

Last week, I stopped at Lodermiers to get some spare parts for the MC dryer we had for the guys at my farm.   I was shocked, to have to pay $165.00 for a one inch diameter by 4 inch long stainless steel tube - no machining - with a 5” x 1” x 1/8 inch strap of stainless welded to it.  You guys probably know what it’s for - it helps carry the fire from burner to burner on the dryer.   I was utterly shocked.   I even asked them, if that was right for one of them - or did they charge me for the whole set.   No - it was for one.   Holy molly.....

Republicans can’t win an election, without lying or fear mongering.... or voter suppression.

Jen

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We have a Thermador range and the oven quit lighting.

I tried buying a thermocouple thing online but couldn't get it to work so had to call the repairman. 

I could overhear him calling in on the cellphone for the part and they said $250. He turns around and says, "that'll be $500."

I said, hey, wait a minute. You don't even have to carry it in stock and you're doubling it? He said yep, but the $100 trip charge is free then. 

I gave $100 and got the electronic module online for $200. Glad it worked, otherwise I'd be really mad.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I’m really glad I can still do most things on my own.   I seldom get anyone out to repair something, but the issues with my back may change that down the road.   

It’s nice to have my own equipment.   Since the welding shop went out in town, I don’t even know where to take something to get welded.   If it needs welding, most people would just throw it away.  

I really could use a new short 16 foot ladder, but that sticker shock has also kept me from buying a new one.   I’ll just try to get by with the skid steer (though my last “lift” didn’t work out so well) and the high lift.  

Jen

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

As you no doubt know, about everything is on youtube or the like.

We had a great old Maytag washer and dryer and I could fix anything on those. Our new LGs are pretty great but I couldn't begin to.