cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Im tired of it

Business , as in many local shops and restaurants are not going too all return in Cent. Wi.  Many were down to breakfast and lunch and a number were for sale.

I have decided to do more business on cell phone and combine 4 trips into one.....working OK so far.

After getting threw 14 days of " House Arrest " , just got used to not being on the road as much.....even had to give up

Early morn coffee break LOL

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I haven’t spent much time up WI way recently but used to get a kick out of the fact that there was a tavern on every corner and often just out in the middle of nowhere, for no apparent reason.

Highlighted
Advisor

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

(Normal economy is never coming back)

Oh ye of little faith in our Country.

Highlighted
Advisor

That’s got creative meme written all over it

Prospect for the Top 10 list with “Chinese virus” and CV 19 is a urban disease.

When the smoke clears it’s going to take a bit of doing to expand the loyal base after what their Lyin’s Eyes have seen.

But as time has shown us, there are some real pros out there. But convincing very many people that going forward has to be primarily, if not exclusively, about making proper Good Folks whole first might be a tough sell.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I kind of look at the US economy as Vulcan "Dr Spock" would "it`s illogical" we pack arenas with 10`s of thousands of people charging them $30 to park their car, $100 ea to get into the stadium, charge them $10 for a drink that costs $1.50 at the store.  And they sit there 3 hours watching multimillionaires chasing a guy that has a ball, all trying to get it away from him in some manner.  And none of this ever stops, year after year for over 50 years, these millionaires chase the guy with a ball.  Then these days they give the most successful guy that runs or hits a ball $10`s of millions more because he`s so good at playing this game.  The world is burning down and people talk about these games, spend $200 to wear a shirt with the name of the "team" that they like and the guy that always gets chased carrying that ball, he has a number on his shirt and some pay a lot of money for a shirt with that guy`s number.

Then after the game, people wait in line at a restaurant for a hour to have a steak and meal that will cost them each $40, they could make the same meal at home in one hour for $15.   All these things to waste time, if Americans can`t do those things, they complain about being "tired of staring at the same 4 walls".   And if we can`t do all those things that basically waste our time, well then the United States economy goes into a depression....alrighty then.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA I dont know if I should agree

With you or not, maybe I just

Didnt understand where you 

Were going with it.

Yes...it is insane how the poor

Have to pay so much to watch

Millionares....it has washed over

So bad....look at our schools...

Then the kids themselves...and

Parents....if being on the school

Team is not enough, they are

Members of other teams on the

Weekend....the time and money

Spent on chasing the sports dream.

Imagine how good our economy

Would be if all the sports money

Would be invested in things

That would make a wonderful

Economy....other than paying

Multi million people to chase

A ball.

Highlighted
Advisor

Some good points there BA. Not to swell your noggin but almost a bit Carlinesque. Bordering at a spot or 2 on plagiarism, but yeah. It’s hard to think back through and imagine how that all actually happened. The huge money monster that is TV probably fueled it as much as anything.

Thing for me, let that all change and baseball still the greatest game mankind ever invented. And good beef steak the best thing he ever figured out how fix up to eat.

Per the baseball thing, had a discussion with a millennial, self-styled hipster nephew one day regarding the craziness of the cost of games and concerts. You were still a toddler I suppose, but in the late 60s early 70s you couldn’t make money on anything, but there were jobs and nominal markets and prudent people and families in most areas could survive.  He’s a “if you build it they will come” sort and has only seen the modern day  Sports Center side of pro sports and he would absolutely not be believe me when I told him about the 1969 and 1970 Minnesota Twins. ‘69 was the first year of Divisional play and my Twins held off Oakland both years. Home field advantage went to the team with the best record in the league and they managed that both years. So they had the first two games at home each year. All good, but what he refused to believe is that none of those 4 games sold out..not even very close to. Weekday afternoons and people didn’t “take the day off” as casually as now. Calling in sick and being found out to have been at the game didn’t help your employment status. And the ticket price was higher, albeit maybe by a few bucks, that the $1.50 to $4.00 you paid for a regular season game.

It didn’t help that Baltimore was stacked to the ceiling with pitching and had Frank Robinson and we went out in 3 straight both years but that wasn’t the point of what I was telling him.

However this ends I seriously doubt somebody is going to declare that “Our long national nightmare is over” (hat tip: Eddie Murphy/Buckwheat) and throw on  a switch and kick things back in.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Add in there "free agents" ...so I`m Tom Brady, I can do things with a football that very few can do, so I go from the Patriots to Tampa Bay for million$ and fans pay more & more every season to  watch me work my magic with a football. 

KGLO radio played games from the (I think `91` world series) Pluckett, Gagne Gladden since there isn`t any new sports happening. I was thinking, hasn`t enough damned sports been played that they can`t just rerun some of this stuff???  The millionaires chase a millionaire with a basketball across the court and he double dribbles and travels.. the sails 30 feet through the air and stuffs the basketball throught the net.  Yeah that was cool the first eleventeen million times I saw it, but can`t these sports nuts go on You Tube and play a continuous loop of basketballs getting dunked and after 4 hours of that crap..get back to work and do something productive??

Yup, this is every NBA game I`ve ever saw and I didn`t have to fork out $400 for tickets   Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlNU1flTpo

But this ***** is necessary to keep the economy going.  

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

(youtube/nba/dunks)

I seldom watch the nba, will watch a little during playoffs - the NBA dunk is more boring than a major league home run. Too many home runs would be routine fly-outs or a can of corn before they pulled the fences in.