Do the same....for much less or

Nothing.

Maybe the fans should strike

The players....the kids look up

To them....but see how they act.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Im tired of it

I`d love to see a high school ref tweeting their whistle at some of the NBA antics.  But with home runs, that one summer it was Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa back and forth "steroids"  "corked bats" "pine tar" geeesh! some guys think they`re smart for recognizing the pro wrestling is fake, but think that drama is real????

Then Bo Jackson with the breaking bats over his knee...big deal, even I could do that, what`s his next trick bite the head off a chicken?

Like Hollywood that hasn`t had an original idea in years..i hear they`re remaking "Gone with the wind" starring The Rock as Rhett Butler  Smiley Happy

And our economy depends on this "bread & circuses"??

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

("pine tar")

Hey hey hey, pine tar gets a pass, that was George Brett. 

The pine tar game and the finish of the pine tar game later in the season is in my opinion one of the reasons I love baseball.  When they resumed the game Billy Martin filed a protest that Brett did not touch all the bases on his pine tar home run and since there were different umpires Martin thought he had em,  the baseball commissioner anticipated Martin's move and had the original umpires sign an affidavit that Brett touched all the bases - just classic.    

But yea, I get your point, now it's cheating with technology and challenges - no ore Earl Weaver's shoeing dirt on an umpire.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I don't get too upset with professional sports because their salaries are paid by those who voluntarily buy the tickets and and suffer through the add spots on TV. I do get upset with being forced to fund their multi million dollar playgrounds called stadiums. What really burns be are the college and high school salaries paid to coaches, staffs and for their facilities. And then in the next breath those who approved those salary complain about the cost of education and the need for more tax dollars.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If segments of the economy can play professional tiddley-winks  and  those that are good at it can sign a $100 million contract to play for 5 years and people will pay $100 for a ticket to see it for 3 hours...hey more power to them.  And all the "non-essential workers" that eek out a living from their crumbs, good for them too.  

But we must have a lot/too much discretionary income to keep this foolishness going.  And I`m including myself on this as well, the Daughter is home for Easter and we have a DVD shelf full of movies, Netflix crap movies, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Prime, HBO subscription.  But Mr Invisible could be watched for an extra $20, so we rented that, that`s money down the drain, probably watch it for free in a month on Netflix.  

It`s not just the entertainment industry, there is a lot of "non-essential" pieces to this economy that if it isn`t up and running, it will slam us into a depression.  Meanwhile cash corn is $2.96 and fat cattle futures are $85, seems to me things are out of whack.  The guy disinfecting shopping carts risking his life at Walmart makes $10/hr and and millionaires sign $100 million contracts to play with their balls.  It shouldn`t take a "Bernie Sanders" clone to prescribe remedies for this, the guy at Walmart should make at least twice as much and if it was dependent on my pocketbook, the millionaire ballplayers would be the one`s making $10/hr for playing games.   Heck in the perfect world, playing ball would be a hobby and the players would need a SECOND job at Walmart.  Us farmers have second jobs and we`re ESSENTIAL Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Daughter is home for Easter? 

Highlighted
Advisor

Good post BA about how the Walmart workers get screwed for dangerous work and the pro athletes get paid big for play. It does get back to supply and demand, though. Not many people are going to fork out the $50 a month it takes to get pro sports in their living room now to see the folk from Wallyworld playing with their balls.