cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Immigration reform

Interesting.  Bi-partisan committee (5 rep and 5 dem) have reached an agreement on a plan to reform the immigration machine here, including a "pathway to citizenship" for more than 11 million people.  Don't know how much compassion went into the republican decision to agree to this but I suspect it was mostly political since they lost the Latino vote heavily in the last election.

16 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Immigration reform

If there's a "2016" will a candidate Rubio pickup one single percentage point more Latinos than Romney did? I don't think it will amount to much if any, Latinos will dance and go home with the ones that brung'em, the Dems. GOP is dead in presidential poltics.
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Probably a bad thing.  The right will continue to control one or both houses with a dem president and we will continue to suffer the consequences of political bickering.

bruce MN
Advisor

Wont' just continue....it will more likely expand.

Scores fo GOP House members are gong to have to decide whether or not they will support these efforts of "moderation" or bipartisanship that some of their GOP counterparts in the Senate seem to be pushing for.  If they do, they most certainly will face teabagger primary challenges, which many of them will lose.  Only thing that could change how that will turn out would be for the bagger to lose to a Democrat or Independant in the general election, but I doubt many would.  Most Congressional Districts that spawned  a sizable lot of activist baggers don't have many Democrats or moderates in them.

So, yes, Congress will remain a super cluster>>>>.

Samnospam
Advisor

We need to bring these people into legal employment if us manufacturing is ever going to compete on a cost of labor basis with the Vietnamese.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Wont' just continue....it will more likely expand.

Scores fo GOP House members are gong to have to decide whether or not they will support these efforts of "moderation" or bipartisanship that some of their GOP counterparts in the Senate seem to be pushing for.  If they do, they most certainly will face teabagger primary challenges, which many of them will lose.  Only thing that could change how that will turn out would be for the bagger to lose to a Democrat or Independant in the general election, but I doubt many would.  Most Congressional Districts that spawned  a sizable lot of activist baggers don't have many Democrats or moderates in them.

So, yes, Congress will remain a super cluster>>>>.

Shouldn't be about which party gains or loses, should be about is it good for the country or not. We should have no amnesty what so ever before we secure the border, other wise the problem never goes away.

bruce MN
Advisor

And you for once actually stand considerably to the left of the washed in the blood bagger stance. 

Safe with me though.  I won't tell anybody.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Funny, most of the Conservative people I know, are all for getting those here illgally, but who are otherwise decent people, a good way to legal citizenship.  They, and I realize that they are already here, and we have no practical was to deport them all, so why not find a way for the decent ones, to be able to stay here without feeling like they have to sneak around, and give them a chance for the American dream?   Being here 'legaly' would also make it harder to exploit and bully them, as they wouldn't have the spectre of possible deportation hanging over their heads.

Are you so biased, to think that for some reaosn the Dems that were on the committee, wanted to reach an agreement, that was best for everyone, even if it cost them a bunch of votes, and the Reps, only went along with it, because they were pandering for votes for the next election?

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You must not have read all the righies on here screaming about "no amnesty" and that a "pathway to citizenship" was exactly that--amnesty!  Where do you get the idea that I am biased?  I merely based it on what I have been seeing and hearing on the news about the repubs saying that they have to change their mindset and start embracing latinos or they will never get elected again.  So naturally, one would come away thinking that it was primarily done to try to save the party.  Besides a whole lot of their constituants are small businessmen who depend on illegal latinos to make a profit and when they get caught, the fine is pretty hefty.  Better to pay them min. wage and have them legal to save the fines.  Better business in the long run anyway.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I`ll say it another way, who are the "winners and losers" in a path/amnesty comprehensive reform???  Will a crooked drywall company all of a sudden double the "new citizen" employee`s wages just because they get citizen papers? ...if he paid $5/hr cash under the table when they were illegal, they`ll work for the same or they`ll be unemployed and the boss`ll just find a new batch of illegal workers.  Filthy rich companies that we all hate because we are jealous of them, will love an amnesty bill, that will take the heat off their having to check up on new hires.  The Democrat party will love 11 more million new citizens that will vote Democrat.  I know smarties like Krauthammer, George Will, David Brooks, Mathew Dowd and Peggy Nooner will say "Repubs have to jump right on this amnesty thing, to get the Latino/Hispanic/Spainish/Cuban/ Puerto Rican/Mexican vote"...but really????  I`d love for them to tell me exactly why Latinos would flock to the Reublican party just because of amnesty...it makes no sense.