cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WCMO
Senior Advisor

In the Beginning

When was the beginning of this discussion site?

Was ishmael here before 4-28-2014?

I was here long before whatever my registration date shows, because they changed the site and we had to re-register.  That might have happened a couple of times, because I know I had a couple of prior "handles", but not changed since last time re-registered.

How long have some of you been around here?

While I agree that there was some needed house-cleaning, there is also such a thing as going too far.  Like after real estate prices had dropped in half, then Federal Land Bank started requiring 35-50% down or other equity for new loans, which made things stronger long-term, but certainly slowed down the recovery.

10 Replies
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: In the Beginning

Been on this site since I believe 1997 or even maybe late 96

bruce MN
Advisor

RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Probably like others posted late 90ies.

I know it was some years before the illegal invasion of Afghanistan.

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

I think that it was a little before the article about me was published in SF magazine , April 1998, by Rod Fee, about a hay processing system I developed for the horse market.  I actually "made hay" with the trickle down economic system. I remember so many people have come and gone from here, since then. Agriculture has changed even more so. I miss Mudsock Bob, Dagwood, Mr. Larson doing battle with NWF, and Countryrocker. 

Like the Bible says, To every thing there is a season......

bruce MN
Advisor

I have to confess that I was wrong in saying it was ‘97.  My first foray into forum participation was at the NPPC site and the producers forum the Council hosted on their website, back in 97 when we first had internet access.  

Too much questioning of the “industro” model (Hat tip to the best friend I’ve ever had that I never met or laid eyes on, Greg Gunthorp of LeGrance IN for coining that) and it was shut down after a few years.

i went looking for somewhere else to vent and tripped over this place.  Early 2000’s.  Not exactly sure when.  As someone else said, they changed formats and had to re-register.

There is a lot of water under the bridge.  Some posters that we know have passed.  Dagwud (that’s how he spelled it) and Don Kraft passing left us all poorer.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

And originally you did not have to register.

It was wide open, you just posted.

And I think it was 2010 that this format came along

ishmael

1995, from the very first

Actually, there was some interaction in 1993 on a slightly different format.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Yes, 2010 was last time I re-registered as WCMO.  Don't recall when I first came here, yet was 'wcmo' and/or 'x-banker' at different times before 2010, and was thinking I started visiting here in late 1990's.

Ishmael had stated in post that he/she was here "since the beginning", then I noticed the registration date in 2014, and was just curious when this place (not just AgForum, but the whole talk community) actually started.

Everyone has their favorite posters, and perhaps their least favorite posters.  Many have come and gone, most of those now gone are missed for their contributions.  In another post, I linked a 'kudos' list, just as a reminder of the breadth and value of some of those past contributions, although the list probably only dates from the 2010 changes to the site.  Here's the link again in case you didn't notice how to pull it up --

https://community.agriculture.com/t5/kudos/leaderboardpage/timerange/all/tab/authors

Lots of people we don't see here anymore.  Some have passed.   Of course, some no longer posting are not missed somuch, yet many (most) are missed for their insights, opinions, and contributions to the myriad of topics across this community that we all think about daily as family, farmers, citizens and humans.  We may not always agree, yet we mostly benefit from being exposed to varying viewpoints, and the many topics, here and in other locations within this community.

There was a time when I mostly just visited Farm Business and Marketing and rarely visited the Forum.  Over time, I've gone from mostly just visiting briefly while watching TV at night, to basically checking in at various times during the day when I check the weather maps or grain prices or when just taking a break.