cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

In your mind, what's a good day?

How do you determine if you are having or had a good day? I'd be interested in the many different views on this.

I'll share mine to get us started. First, I try to start the day with a positive attitude, regardless of the weather or chore list. Next, spending time in silence, in an attempt to listen to my God speak to me. That is humbling and peaceful, but admittedly not made a priority enough. A cup of coffee is always helpful, to start. Preferably in the morning, but if not, at some point, some form of exercise; swimming, stretching, walking/running. In an attempt to push away from the table a bit, I try to worry less about food. Instead, feeling satisfied with 'just enough' vs. having to feel full.

Since this an ideal list of things that make up a good day, I'm looking for other ways to supplement my 'be happy' list. The reason I ask the question is to find out from others what they do. Perhaps we can all learn new ways to have a good day?

Have a good day,

Mike

23 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: In your mind, what's a good day?

A good day for me;

Get something accomplished.  Make someone happy or happier.  Feel tired at the end from having worked and fall asleep quickly.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Certainly, if you can look back and say that you helped someone be happy, it makes for a good day. Thanks for sharing. See, you just made me happy and it's still early in the day. I think you are headed for a great day.

Mike

Veteran Advisor

Re: Hmmmm......

@marketeye wrote:

How do you determine if you are having or had a good day? I'd be interested in the many different views on this.

I'll share mine to get us started. First, I try to start the day with a positive attitude, regardless of the weather or chore list. Next, spending time in quiet in an attempt to listen to my God speak to me. That is humbling and peaceful, but admittedly not made a priority enough. A cup of coffee is always helpful, to start. Preferably in the morning, but if not, at some point, some form of exercise; swimming, stretching, walking/running. In an attempt to push away from the table a bit, I try to worry less about food. Instead, feeling satisfied with 'just enough' vs. having to feel full.

Since this an ideal list of things that make up a good day, I'm looking for other ways to supplement my 'be happy' list. The reason I ask the question is to find out from others what they do. Perhaps we can all learn new ways to have a good day?

Have a good day,

Mike

That makes a guy think for a bit.... To me, any day that I can "advance the ball down the field" makes a good day for me.   That means accomplishing one or more of my goals that I set for myself.

A good day also includes spending quality time with my family.  If you can't do that, the rest does not matter much.  I stay involved with the activities of my kids, including working with the local school band and choir,  my son's Boy Scouts (my son was the flag bearer of the US flag at the Memorial Day Parade) and soccer games.

This weekend was very special and I will remember for a very long time.  My son and I helped out the VFW guys set out 546 flags around the Winterset Cemetery, and take them down and fold them up, and put caps on the pipes in the ground afterward.  These flags are the actual coffin flags that the family gave to the VFW and are numbered. The numbered flag is placed next to the plate with the name and dates of service of the veteran who has passed on.  The flag is placed in the same place each and every year.  It is touching to see the families find their special flag and take time to remember them.

What made this activities so special for me was to spend time with these older guys who gave so much for our country and to be able to get to know them even better.  About half of the flag detail were vets and about half were just regular folks like me who wanted to help out.

Here are a couple of videos I shot two years ago of the Winterset marching band at the Memorial Day ceremonies that show some of those flags.

America, The Beautiful  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlur7mYfvcg

National Anthem  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu1jz_sh-_8&feature=related

Thanks for starting this thread, and getting us to think about what is important in life.  Every day is a gift..... it is up to us to find the treasures in it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Mike, a great day is an easy thing for me. I'm basically an optimist. I don't look for things to be critical about to a point where it will affect my outlook on life. A great day is any day I can have the state of mind to look for things of interest, or find a way to be productive or find happiness in something whether it is at work or home. Health is a very important aspect of having a great day. People often ask "How are you doing?" I often reply with "I have my health, so I'm doing great." When I think about someone struggling in a loosing fight with cancer, heart disease or any other serious illness, I look at myself and know that I am doing great and I should ignore my petty complaints. Money matters are a similar matter. I can get pretty worried over finances, but I can also buy all the food I need for myself and my family, I own my house, I have good transportation and I think I will be able to pay off my debts. I am a little isolated from others that are in far worse situations. I should probably look at those who are hungry, or have no home or are hoplessly sinking and debt more closely than I do, but they are easy to ignore. I also have a nice, loving family and that is a blessing that adds icing on the cake. A good job is important to my self-worth and I have that too. I am sure there are many whose life is a complete ruin either by the loss of their job or the lack of ambition to find and hold one.

I guess I ended up a little different than I started. Maybe a great day is made because of the things and blessings that I have, but then there are people that are indeed blessed and have everything, but are miserable, so I am back again to happiness being one's perspective on life. My advice is don't believe in bad days unless something truly bad happens, then find strength where you know it exists, whether that is in faith, family, friends or other ways.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Almost all of my days are good days. I'm not too fond of doctor visits and the like. My secret is contentment and enjoying grand babies. Doing what I want to do and not doing what I don't want ti do.

Attitude is the biggest factor in a good. Work on that and most everythiong else will fall in place.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm going to fall into Knapper and Kraft's camp. I am normally an optimistic person so every day starts 'good'. I know I have a lifestyle that probably 90% or more of humanity only dreams about and so i go forth each day knowing how lucky and happy I am.

I am also a person who does not have to meet, greet and talk to others to entertain myself so am happy and content to work away on the farm sometimes not leaving home for weeks on end and other times of the year going for parts and supplies multiple times a day and then i am happy to meet service people who deal pleasantly with me.

I guess I would have to look at what makes me unhappy which does happen on rare occasions. Days when everything seems to go against you like a planter giving trouble and rain on the way but that is not as big a concern to me now as it might have been when i was younger and more financially stressed. At least it did not bother me so much last week when I lost several hours of planting with annoying breaks and then got rained out when I was just getting to the bottom of my problems. Still not upset about it and will be trying to finish planting corn tomorrow. Of course experience and 'old age' may be a factor since I have planted corn on June 2 before when we had a wet planting in 2003.

So attitude is key. Be Happy it is much more fun that way.

And wehave is correct, being busy and being tired at the end of a day help too.

Highlighted
Advisor

Every one where I wake up alive, find that my eyes can sense the light and that when my feet touch the floor I can stand and walk....before I look at the paper, or turn on the radio.

Not as confidently sure as some seem to be at to just how and  why I'm (we are) here, but glad for it.  Life for somebody lucky enough to have been randomly born surrounded by plenty, as most of my race or favorably positioned geographically have, is a good party.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

When somebody posts a nice post such as yours and everyone follows in spirit.

I rate you and Dial 3 as top contenders for raising spirits.

Thanks for making a better day.

Highlighted
Advisor

Any day I end with greater knowledge and understanding than I started the day with is a good day. A bad day is when I realize how little I know.