cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: In your mind, what's a good day?

Kurt#1,

I have to agree that it was a pleasant thread to read, with everyone's positive approach to being happy. I have to admit, yesterday was one of the first days in a long time I found myself thinking that I heard very little good news. Whether it was TV, Internet, newspaper, my thoughts, etc., nothing good was coming up. So, thanks for offering up pleasant thoughts today. I feel better already, and it's only noon.

Mike

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

KNAPPer,

The hungry and homeless are a big concern. You can see it abundantly here in Chicago. I pray the world finds a formidable solution to helping solve this problem. If I can, and I believe all of us can, I would like to find a way to help solve the food crisis. Your point about health is well-taken. Just heard today about a friend battling cancer. Separately, the past few days I've been down with a cold and the crud. Your health makes a huge difference. And to your point about having a job, I agree. We are called to mind our self-worth vs. net-worth.

Mike

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Hmmmm......

Milligan Hay,

I really like your comments about placing flags at the cemetary with the VFW. My dad, as a member of the American Legion, has done that exact same thing in Shenandoah, Iowa, for 15 years. I talked with him this past weekend and he was getting ready to do it again. What a great service. Thanks for doing that. I'm sure that if those fallen soldiers could talk they would have nothing but gratitude to share.

Mike

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Once that I realize that I didn't wake up dead, I like to go about the day starting with a nice stroll around outside. I especially like this time of year where nature comes back to life and a lot of stuff blooms and grows with all the color that winter doesn't have. The funniest thing every day to me is how the squirrels chase each other all over non-stop for awhile early in the morning. I like it because of the peacefulness and the missing sounds of air conditioners and cars running along with the hustle and bustle of people going about their daily routine. Animals don't have a care in the world for the mostly trivial stuff that we concern ourselves or worry about every day.

I like to at least help somebody out somehow or some way throughout the day with something that to them seems like an unbearable hurdle, like a dead car battery or some other thing that quit working or needs repaired. At times some people aren't very enjoyable to be around when those kind of things happen or that they don't handle the situation well when it does happen, but between that and getting a lot accomplished for the day and managing to be tired at the right time(when everything is finished) is pretty satisfying.

If every day went along smoothly and uneventful, that would be fairly boring and not much difference from the previous days. Learning to not stress about the (often)petty stuff is probably the best thing that I've learned over time, and that there are other people that have things worse than us so most things really aren't that bad.

Veteran Advisor

When I was a kid, a good day was mowing somebody's yard, smelling that freshly cut grass and making a few bucks. But, the best part was afterwards, driving the riding lawnmower on the streets, when I didn't even have a permit. Plus, while driving the rider, I had one arm in back holding onto the push mower that I was pulling behind me. And all the while, trying to balance a half-filled gallon of gas in-between my legs. WHooohooo! That was a good day as a kid. I miss those days.

Mike

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

yes the smell of new cut grass is good. I did not have a rider when I was a kid but enjoyed pushing the mower around and leaving the lawn all neat and pretty.

Wish we could give kudos here, couple good posts and Sam's would surely rate one.

Also mentioned by a couple people was helping someone. Always makes a nice day for you and the person you helped.

A few years ago we had a pleasant experience when going through the drive through of Tim Hortons (big time coffee shop in Canada for those who do not know) and picked up our coffee and were informed that the car ahead of us had paid for it. Left a pleasant feeling with us for some time and since then i try to pass on the favour at least once or twice a year. 

It must happen regularly because I have never had a person at the window act surprised when you offer to pay for the next vehicle's order with your own.

I do ask first how much it is in case they are picking up coffee and donuts for the whole team.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That brings back memories of my younger years too, trading chores and labor for a horse that would always jump the fence and go back to the neighbor's pen and barn. I especially liked the sweet smell of freshly cut hay drying in the field while laying in bed at night and when I woke up when the windows were open. I can almost smell it now too just thinking about it. It always was kind of ruined by the sounds of the hog feeder lids dropping shut for what seemed like the longest time and that it was almost non-stop also.

When I try to explain that to the wife, she just doesn't understand or get it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I used to sing this little jingle when I got out of bed........get up, get out of bed-drag a comb across your head, brush your teeth-clean your feet, better get something good to eat........

But, SOMEBODY'S not much of a morning person and doesn't like that to be the first thing that she hears in the morning...............

Highlighted
Advisor

I'm not so sure that those sensory memories aren't ones that a person never loses.

For me, those hog feeder lids were like a lullaby.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It's probably because you owned the pigs, LOL. I didn't, and they belonged to a neighbor. They had problems with coyotes and had a propane blaster to scare them off that fired every 90 seconds. It worked for a few days and they had to sit out there in shifts to shoot them and even paid me for dead ones when I sat out there sometimes.

I can remember a couple of times where a bunch of pigs were killed by lightning and he dug a hole with the tractor and burned them in it.

Those things happen much in your neck of the country?