cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Incels are the tip of the iceberg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/u-s-military-issues-warning-to-troops-about-incel-viol-1838412331

regarding the central psychological issue of our culture war- toxic masculinity. Which is a term that I despise having to use.

I'm humble in the recognition that the examples of my Father and Grandfathers have spared me the worst of that (which would make them cucks in the current internet parlance). Say what you want about the validity of Christian faith, sincere and regular participation does help to rub the worst rough edges off of male tendencies.

That is, at least before many of our churches became another place for culture war grievances to simmer.

3 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Incels are the tip of the iceberg

How many people have antifas killed?

bruce MN
Advisor

Recalling that Sam replied a week or so ago to a post on this topic implying that The Military had no business sticking their nose into matters of what can be called nothing other than domestic terrorism  

Now I see he’s defending INCELS as nothing more than just kids  

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

My fascination of this place- no really obsession lately- is a matter of trying to understand the psychological motivations of the various players.

That's all so pat and PC but it is what I've come down to. I hope I made it clear (not that ad hominen attacks won't rain down regardless) is that I understand those impulses but think that there are certain civilizing influences that can moderate them. Also a lot easier when the testosterone flow has ebbed and you're old enough that you don't feel the same economic competition.

Needless to say, there are also now strong uncivilizing influences on the web and media. True for the Incels-integrating young men has always been a problem for societies but there's never been a place for them to gather and nurse their grievances privately.

By far the greatest earthquake at the core of our 50 years of social convulsion is the change in the legal status of women, even if they did manage to kill the ERA way back when.

FWIW, the "literature" on the matter suggests that there's really nothing new in the statistics other than that young people marry later- stay in school longer, live at home longer primarily because housing is expensive.