cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kurt#1
Senior Contributor

Increase of 490,000 more cars on the road.

Shutting down the Keystone pipe line and using Buffets rail cars will result in emissions = to 490,000 more cars on the road.

"it requires 433 gallons of locomotive diesel fuel to pull one loaded crude oil tank car from the Canadian Oil Sands to the U.S. Gulf Coast, about 2,200 miles. It takes another 144 gallons to bring the empty tank car back for a refill. That's 577 gallons total.

“It takes 645 loaded tank cars per day to transport the amount of oil that Keystone XL might have carried - about 400,000 barrels per day. That's 235,425 tank car loads per year. Multiplied by 577 gallons each, that amounts to about 136 million gallons of diesel burned per year.

“Since each gallon of diesel emits 22.44 pounds of CO2, that means the locomotives pulling those trains will emit over 1.5 million tons of CO2. That's all net addition to CO2 emissions since Keystone XL would have been powered entirely by renewable energy."

12 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Increase of 490,000 more cars on the road.

From a common sense perspective a pipeline half or more built, all the steel, money ect has been turned into a white elephant at the stroke of a pen.  It was a punitive decision more than anything, big middle finger to the red states, "and oh yeah, no CFAP either!  Now let`s talk about unity".

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The Plains, Desert SW etc. have a much brighter economic future in a decarbonized world.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

As the fossil fuel interests try to sign "agriculture" up as allies to the buggywhip indistry- just don't.

Now if they actually want to give you something- like a 15% and proportionally growing mandate, I guess.

But don't worry- they won't. So don't give them anything.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The "fossil fuel" industry will always be with us, I don`t see the "ice road truckers" and the ocean vessels carrying grain and Chinese flat screen tv`s going electric tomorrow.   Hey, if Keystone wants to finish their white elephant and "throw good money after bad" and only get 8 days of use out of it, how`s that any of Biden`s business? 

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

how is it that Xiden even has the right to shut down the Keystone pipeline? I have not kept up on this....it seems like something congress would have to agree on, if even they could shut down a private business enterprise activity such as this.

Remember all the lies that * told at the debates? I think the voters do, and want a do over. Was over at NAT this morning and scrooling down through the posts there...probably went through 30 or so and they were all anti-Xiden.

Joe is about as popular as a fat chick with herpes.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: That Canadian oil is in direct competition with ..

You won't get any sympathy from me, that Canadian crude is in direct competition with ethanol & biodiesel.  why should I care how much it costs to move it south?  First, you're assuming there will even be a market for it in years to come.  And you've undoubtedly used the highest for the total number of cars required.  There is no guarantee how many railcars will be moved.  Second, most if not all that crude will is to be refined for export and I don't care about that.  Besides, it takes twice as much oil to extract tar sands oil as is produced.  I don't feel any obligation to subsidize tar sands oil whatsoever.

aljessen61
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

The Plains, Desert SW etc. have a much brighter economic future in a decarbonized world.

Are you really that stupid?

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Al, are you really that stupid?

If you raise the annual temperature even by a couple of degrees it's likely the whole western plains becomes a desert and the desert becomes uninhabitable.  Is that what you want?

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Al, are you really that stupid?

A modest expansion of use of the renewable resources that they have in abundance-wind and solar- dwarfs the economic impact of fossil fuels.

2% of the jobs in TX, for heaven sakes, are in the oil and gas industry.