cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Inside look at Obama in the White House

Listened to parts of an interview with Jonathan Alter this morning. He was talking about his new book and his time as a insider at the White House.

Interesting points about Obama. Good and bad, did not sound prejudiced like so many posters on this site but objective look at some of the workings of Obama's administration.

Check out about the book here http://www.jonathanalter.com/

"In Alter's telling, the real Obama is an authentic, demanding, unsentimental, and sometimes overconfident leader. He adapted to the presidency with ease and put more “points on the board” than he is given credit for, but neglected to use his leverage over the banks and failed to connect well with an angry public. We see the famously calm president cursing leaks, playfully trash-talking his advisors, and joking about even the most taboo subjects, still intent on redeeming more of his promise as the problems mount."

You can listen to the interview here http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/ then click on pt 3. Plan on listening to the whole interview myself later.

12 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Inside look at Obama in the White House

you do realize that Alter is to the left of virtually everybody in America?

Senior Contributor

No did not come through that way in the parts I heard. He sounded quite objective in his interview.

Will try to listen to the whole thing, maybe that will change my opinion.

Veteran Advisor

I read Newsweek for about ten years. Alter was always left wing in a big way. Just like the whole magazine, though.

When Alter of Newsweek, or Stein of Time starts in on Obama, then it will truely be time for the neophyte to resign and actually build a resume.

Honored Advisor

You know Canuck, Obama reminds me of myself .......when I was about 5 yrs old. I got a small motorcycle. I could barely ride a bicycle without training wheels, yet I was authentic, demanding, unsentimental and overconfident. My hand locked the throttle wide open and I was headed straight for the swingset, if I didn`t tip over when I did, I would have had more hurt than my pride. The point is with my experience  I had NO business being on that motorcycle, just like Obama has NO qualifications to be president. Obama`s "clamness" isn`t a sign that he knows what he`s doing anymore than the clamness of a deer in headlights that you`re about to cream on the highway.

Senior Contributor

Re:Alter

Red; you know him better than I do. Never heard of him before yesterdays interview which, as I said, the parts I heard he sounded objective in his observations.

Will try to listen to the whole thing and see what he sounds like then.

Senior Contributor

Re: Experience

There is one thing about being President BA, no one ever has 'experienced' that until you elect them for a second term!

Veteran Advisor

Re: Experience

Lets be real here.....Obama really has no business trying to run anything of a large scale...as far as I am aware, he never even successfully managed a lemonade stand as a youth. If he sold a few drugs back when he was snorting cocaine, maybe then he had some free enterprise experience....Let's hope not. When he went to buy a house, he and Michelle did not even  figure out where the money was coming from, they found the house and then found that crook to buy part of it for them....Good signal of things to come, right?

I would guess that about half of the posters here have more executive experience than Barry does. Seemed like a nice guy a few years ago, now he seems like a disaster. Political correctness gone way too far. A person of lily white complexion with the same resume would have been laughed at. Obama is starting to make GW Bush look like Solomon in comparison.

Senior Contributor

Red, I too have read Newsweek for many years and have been debating dropping the magazine for the last few years for a couple of reasons.   The main reason is because they have reduced the size of the magazine's content by about a third.  The other reason is that over the last 10 years Newsweek has started to become the "FOX" equivalent in the magazine world.  Newsweek still offers a small amount of conservative writings from the likes of George Will but there has been a noticeable shift to the left in the magazines overall content.  I think most of the main reporters with Newsweek now spend most of their time on MSNBC TV shows promoting the left and bashing the right then they do working for the magazine.  This may be part of the reason the magazine is now for sale by it's owner the Washington Post and it looks like there is little interest for a magazine that lost over $28 million last year and has lowered its projected its magazines sales down from 2.6 million last year to 1.5 million this year. 

I think I'll tell the wife not to renew this time around as I doubt Newsweek will still be publishing in a year from now.

Senior Advisor

Re: By whose measure

No matter how much you repeat your prattle it doesn't male it true. Although I admit you would find many that share your belief but mostly it is because of the sore losers trying to build regret amongst the electorate. Can  you possibly beleive we would be better off with Dubya ,McCain, or Palin? I suggest we would be much worse off.