cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Interesting Points To Ponder Upon

Dangers of the 20th Century (part 6) –

At the turn of the Twentieth Century (over 100 years ago), one of America's leading newspapers addressed the following question to many notable people of that time: "What in your opinion is the chief danger, social or political, that confronts the coming century?” General William Booth, who was invited to reply to this question, sent the following:

I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be:
1. Religion without the Holy Spirit
2. Christianity without Christ
3. Forgiveness without repentance
4. Salvation without regeneration
5. Politics without God
6. Heaven without Hell

I think most religious people of the 21st Century would have a difficult time saying that these predictions have not been fulfilled to some degree. Let's look at each of these predictions, one at a time. We have already covered the first four in previous Sabbath Day Devotions.

If you would like me to resend any of the previous four SDDs, just let me know.

Politics Without God –

The United States of America was founded by Godly men and upon Godly principles. That, my friends, is a historical fact. Although I have not done the research, I'm quite sure that most governments throughout history have been founded somewhat upon Godly principles. Most laws have their roots in God's Ten Commandments.

There is no doubt that politics in America and around the world have tried to move away from God and his principles during the 20th century. This movement accelerated during the last half of the 20th century. It's gone so far that they have rewritten the history books used to teach our children. At one time, the Bible was the primary history book used within our schools. Believe it or not, biblical morality was taught in public schools until the early 1960's. Now, however, we have history books that don't even mention God and his place in the history of America.

Any time religion is mentioned within the confines of government, someone will cry, "Separation of Church and State". Many people believe this statement appears in the first amendment of the United States Constitution – and therefore must be strictly enforced. This statement does NOT appear in the first amendment. In fact, the first amendment does not even contain the words "separation", "church" or "state". The first amendment reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The colonialists (early Americans) knew what would happen if the government established the church like it had in England. England went so far as to forbid worship in private homes. All church activities were sponsored and controlled by the English government. People were forced to go to the state-established church and do things that were contrary to their conscience. No other churches were allowed. Mandatory attendance of the state-established church was compelled under the Conventicle Act of 1665. Failure to comply could result in imprisonment and torture.

Our founding fathers wanted freedom of religion – NOT freedom from religion. That is why many of them had come to the American colonies in the first place. Those who scream, "Separation of Church and State" have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

The United States Constitution was founded on biblical principles and it seemed to be the intention of the authors for this to be a Christian nation. The Constitution was put together by 55 people, of which 52 were evangelical Christians. Research indicates that 94% of all quotes by our founding fathers were based on the Bible. The founding fathers took ideas from the Bible and did their best to incorporate them into our government. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

In October 1961 the Supreme Court of the United States officially removed prayer from our public schools. If our founding fathers didn't want prayer in government, why did they pray publicly at nearly all official meetings? Since that Supreme Court decision of 1961, there has been much effort to forbid reading from the Bible in school – even silent reading during free time.

In recent years, the first amendment has wrongly been used to remove displays of religious texts like the Ten Commandments from public areas and government buildings throughout the United States. There is talk about removing the phrase "In God We Trust" from our currency. This is NOT at all what the first amendment is about.

What are we allowing to happen? I don't think you can argue with the fact that as we have removed God from our politics, our government and our educational systems, there has been a very dramatic decrease in the morality and the integrity of the American people. It appears to me that our society is slowly degenerating into a corrupt system in which people misuse the authority of the government to obtain what they want at the expense of others. If we don't bring God back into our politics, this once great nation of ours is doomed to fall apart.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men do nothing.” ~ Edmond Burke (1729-1797)

I can't say that our politics and our government are completely void of God, because we still have Godly people in politics and in our government. We still have Godly teachers in our school systems. However, we have much fewer Godly people in place than we had 50 years ago.

Friends, it is time to take a stand and to make a difference. Several years ago, I was persuaded by a Christian brother to become more involved in politics because of the need to back and support Godly men and women. Today, I am challenging you to do the same thing.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)

Don’t just GO to church; BE the church
13 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Interesting Points To Ponder Upon

This is why posters like Canuck, Gough and Agricultural Judge mock Christians...I mean don`t debate but just trash to the ground Christianity, that is how they see their radical agenda getting through, Jesus being that roadblock. 

http://www.rense.com/general32/americ.htm  

Most of those 45 goals have come to fruition  

#27 "inflitrate churches" kind of stands out

Jan Mickelson talked about Ben Carson getting rolled in a CNN interview about "human rights coming from God or liberal elitist`s desiding what rights that we will get".

http://therightscoop.com/ben-carson-caves-to-gays/#ixzz3TTyYfxDq 

r3020
Senior Advisor

To a progressive liberal there is nothing greater or more powerful than Almighty Big Government. Anything that questions that fact must be destroyed.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Glen

If your even too crazy for G Beck, then you should probably locked up in a happy place somewhere.

Re : Ben Carson

"Goodbye to his presidential career. It's over. It's over. There is no way to recover from that. That just sounds like a lunatic. That is just a ridiculous statement on a million fronts. A ridiculous statement. It's not just that he didn't see [the question] coming. It's that he just thought that was a good answer. That was good enough for him. Just [imagine] I'm at a cocktail party and I'm talking to a friend and they say 'well yeah, you know, you go to prison and you're straight, you get out and you're gay,' don't you look at your friend — I don't care if he's the guy who works at the 7-Eleven and he's not running for president ever - don't you go, 'That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard'?" - Glenn Beck, speaking yesterday on his radio show.

So Glens nuts, Ben's nuts and chances are so are you...Get the NET !!!  Smiley Very Happy

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Uh huh, so there was a loud jesus juicer even back then - BFD...So WHAT !

You will NEVER EVER have your little theocracy here skippy, give it up. In fact what Xtian privilege you DO still have is shrinking by the day !!  Praise be !!!

RJG640v8
Advisor

Says a guy who has taken his share from almighty big gov.....
hardnox
Advisor

Noted #2 as much of the GOP now seems to regard Christianity as a minor league team for Judaism.

colinnorris1
Senior Contributor

I don't recall mocking Christianity but stand corrected if you like. Craig's list of whinging is classic by a cabal of religious thugs who continue to demand the impossible. They always crank this up when they feel their mythical beliefs are questioned. They even rail against the POTUS if he isn't kneeling and bowing all day in a type of sucking up to their beliefs.

They fact is there is no god. Not one religion on earth can produce any evidence of its existence and that includes all those who believe they can. The list above is nothing more than an attempt to assimilate people woes with the countries inhabitants straying away from god. Those with delusional weak
minds would jump at that crap when wanting to blame something else for their self inflicted problems.

It is disturbing to see grown men in successful businesses, even woodcutters, who desperately grab this and rave on about the evils of someone questioning it. That is in itself the epitome of hypocrisy. That is what delusions with do to a weak mind.

You all wrap yourselves in this flag of Christianity like you discovered it but in a country like yours with the violence, guns, murder, country invasions by an unlimited military, the practice of Christianity there has never been recorded in history yet.

I find it embarrassing to a small degree to have my fellow humans and adversaries who still cling to their gods like a mental sling, like a comfortable old smelly pillow, like the last bastion of salvation.

I do not believe or think or assume, repeat what "they" said or heard about god existence. I know it is fact he does not exist. In that respect, you Jesus junkies have a giant leap ahead of you to merely catch up to the rest of rational society.
Veteran Advisor

Dangers of the 20th Century (part 2) –

At the turn of the Twentieth Century (over 100 years ago), one of America's leading newspapers addressed the following question to many notable people of that time: "What in your opinion is the chief danger, social or political, that confronts the coming century?” General William Booth, who was invited to reply to this question, sent the following:

5. Politics without God
6. Heaven without Hell

I think most religious people of the 21st Century would have a difficult time saying that these predictions have not been fulfilled to some degree. Let's look at each of these predictions, one at a time.

Religion Without the Holy Spirit –

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you...
Acts 1:8

I have to admit that this one may be the hardest for me to discuss. Why? Because for most of my life I have participated in religion without the Holy Spirit. I still struggle with this – and I am not alone.

Sadly, many so-called Christians and churches are nearly void of God's Holy Spirit. How can that be? We have squelched the Holy Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19). We refuse to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us and control us because we refuse to give up any control. It is impossible for God to be the driver of our life if we won't let him have the steering wheel. We know that God can take us farther and higher than we could ever hope to get without him, and yet we still refuse to turn our entire being over to him.

Many times when I have attempted to turn everything over to God, I became frightened because I felt like I was out of control. That causes me to fight to regain control. I forget that God can't be in control until I am completely out of control.

Over the past 2000 years, our religion has become much more political, social and institutional in nature – and much less spiritual. We are so busy "playing church" that we have squeezed the Holy Spirit out of church.

Most Christian societies have been involved with institutional and/or denominational religion for so long that they don’t know any different. They don’t know how to turn control over to Jesus and the Holy Spirit. They do everything by the book – but they are often using the wrong book. They adhere to many man-made doctrines and traditions that cannot be supported by the Holy Scriptures.

The church (groups of Christians) that I have met with and had fellowship with over the years claim to be non-denominational, Bible-based, New Testament churches. Unfortunately, most of what they do and the way they do it doesn’t even come close to emulating the church we read about in the New Testament. Those groups may be better than some, but they are just as “institutional” as all the other non-organic churches.

In his book Reimagining Church, Frank Viola said, “In the typical institutional church, the religious machinery of the church program is the force that fuels and propels the church service. Consequently, if the Spirit of God were ever to leave a typical institutional church, His absence would go unnoticed. The ‘business-as-usual’ program would forge ahead. The worship would be unaffected. The sermon would be preached, and the doxology would be sung. The congregation would go right along with the religious program – not knowing that the Lord had departed.”

Who is in control of your life and your church? Is the Holy Spirit in control – or are you in control? Are you afraid of what might happen in your life and/or in your church if the Holy Spirit was in complete control? Most of us are afraid of anything that is unfamiliar.

If we were filled with God's Holy Spirit, we wouldn't spend much time worrying about church buildings, church finances and church programs. We wouldn’t have to because the Holy Spirit would be in control. If we were filled with the Holy Spirit, we would KNOW God – instead of just knowing about God.

The Holy Spirit is real and God wants us to be constantly filled with it, but there won't be any room for the Holy Spirit until we make room. We need to get back to the fundamental teachings and practices of the New Testament church. We need to put God’s Holy Spirit in charge of our individual lives, as well as our church.

I get goose bumps just thinking about what might happen if I allowed myself to become totally filled and controlled by God's Holy Spirit. I get even more goose bumps thinking about what might happen if all of God's people became filled with his Holy Spirit.

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of
you, in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be
forgiven. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
Acts 2:38

You, however are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the
Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does
not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
Romans 8:9

Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with
whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Ephesians 4:30

I encourage you… to read through the book of Acts and see all the extraordinary things that took place when just a few ordinary men and women became filled with God’s Holy Spirit. God wants to do the same things today. He is just waiting on us.

Don’t just GO to church; BE the Church
Veteran Advisor

Dangers of the 20th Century (part 3) –

5. Politics without God
6. Heaven without Hell

I think most religious people of the 21st Century would have a difficult time saying that these predictions have not been fulfilled to some degree. Let's look at each of these predictions, one at a time. We discussed the first one in last week’s Sabbath Day Devotion (SDD).

Christianity Without Christ –

As ridiculous as it may sound, I'm afraid that many religious people and organizations are attempting to practice Christianity without Christ. Some have been doing it for so long that they don't even know they are doing it. Once again, I'm going to lay most of the blame on institutional and denominational religion.

As I study the history of the early New Testament church in the book of Acts, I read that disciples of Christ were first called Christians in a town called Antioch (Acts 11:26). Prior to that, disciples of Christ were simply referred to as members or followers of "The Way" (Acts 9:2 and 24:14).

The early church did not have church buildings to meet in. It did not have pews to sit in. There was no clergy or earthly hierarchy. The early Christians met in one another's homes. They almost always shared a meal together. They met whenever and wherever they could.

In the first century, there were many different groups of Christians in different parts of the world – but Christians were Christians no matter where they were. They were disciples or followers of Christ – and that's all. There were no divisions or denominations. In 1 Corinthians 3:3-5, we find that a few of the early Christians tried to create divisions within the church. The apostle Paul quickly put a stop to this.

The early church was referred to as the body of Christ with each individual Christian being a part of it (1 Corinthians 12:27). Jesus is the head of this body (Colossians 1:18). God created the church to be a living and active organism based entirely around Jesus Christ – NOT on anyone or anything else. And that is exactly the way it should be. After all, it was Jesus Christ who paid the penalty for the sins of the world. It was Jesus Christ who provided a way for mankind to be reunited with God. It was Jesus Christ who provided a way for us to escape eternal damnation. In John 14:6, Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to God except through me." How can we build a church or a religion around or on anything or anyone else?

In the little town of Cheyenne Wells, Colorado, there are at least five different churches – all with a different name and a different set of doctrines and beliefs. Folks, that is absolutely ridiculous!

I am sorely afraid that many of today’s so-called Christians spend more time worshiping their man-made denominations, doctrines, traditions, buildings, programs, etc. than they spend worshipping their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Basically, they are serving and worshipping themselves. God forgive them!

The following is a portion of a prayer Jesus prayed shortly before he was arrested and crucified. He started out praying for himself, then he prayed for his disciples. Finally, he prayed for all future believers…

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17: 21 & 23)

Christianity without Christ is NOT Christianity, and it will NOT save us. As I said last week, we need to get back to the fundamental teachings and practices of the New Testament church. The things we do need to be based on Christ and the teachings of Christ. We need to do whatever we can to make Jesus' prayer (above) come true.

In 2 Timothy 3:1-5, the apostle Paul warns about godlessness in the last days. He says the so-called religious people will not be lovers of God. Instead, they will be lovers of themselves – having a form of godliness, but denying its power. Folks, there is much evidence of this all around us.

Don’t just GO to church; BE the Church