cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Interesting polling results

I'd have never thought them to be like this.

Most interesting is views of the OWS participants on Obama numbers. If it's any where close to accurate then that means that either A) It isn't all lock step lefties, assuming that is what he would be. Which most on the right here presume him to be or B) That he isn't and that they are, which most on the right  here also seem to accuse the movement of being.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting polling results

Bruce, did you mean to leave a link to the poll results?  I would be interested in seeing them.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The OWS will fail-here`s why  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ie-Xr6NMY&feature=related   He tells what they need to do to get their mo-jo back...worse ways to blow 4 minutes, IMHO

Highlighted
Advisor

Dangit...was on teh MSN home page. Now it's gone. I'll keep digging.

Highlighted
Advisor

It would be a lot more interesting if you would give us a link.  

Here's a link to a interview with the editor of Adbusters magizine. " It was Adbusters calling for an American "Tahrir moment," that originally put out the call to occupy Wall Street on September 17."

http://mondoweiss.net/2011/11/it%e2%80%99s-time-to-stop-the-bully-adbusters-editor-kalle-lasn-on-occ...

snip--

KL: Let me enlarge the conversation a little bit.  I think one of the interesting things about this Occupy movement is that I think it will come back, after hibernating for the winter, it will come back next spring and it will get involved in more than just economics.  It will start playing around with politics and possibly launching third political parties and all kinds of political energy will come out of this movement.  And one of the arenas that I think it may have some influence on is this—kind of a, what Adbusters long ago started calling the United States of Amnesia—this fact that most of the people in America actually aren’t getting the information that they need to make wise decisions about foreign policy and political matters.  I think from my perspective, it seems like American political thinking is being distorted by a number of bubbles, and one of those bubbles is that AIPAC bubble, which is a very powerful, probably the most powerful lobby in America, and it has the power to intimidate politicians and get them to never say anything negative about Israel, and it’s got to the point where even the president of the United States is intimidated by this lobby and forced to do all kinds of things that he wouldn’t normally do.

I think another one of the bubbles is a media bubble, because there’s a special sensitivity to this issue, and the Holocaust, and it’s such an emotionally charged thing, and I think the media is quite often pro-Israeli in a knee-jerk way.  For example, when Ehud Barak visited the United States of America last week, he went on the Charlie Rose Show, and with Fareed Zakaria, and he basically blitzed the media, and he left the impression that somehow it would be absolutely perfectly okay for us to attack Iran. Some of the other ways of looking at it—like this idea that Israel also has nukes, and that maybe a smarter strategy would be to fight for a nuclear-free Middle East rather than bomb the hell out of Iran, and some of the historical nuances about American CIA involvement back there a long time ago that started this unholy business that has been unfolding these past 30, 40, 50 years—those things were completely missing from the media.  And then even newspapers like the New York Times, which is one of the great newspapers of the world, has Ethan Bronner and Isabel Kershner, a couple of their main people who write about the Middle East and Israeli/Palestine matters, and these two people are so obviously biased in favor of Israel, that it’s really disheartening to see the New York Times not mixing it up a little bit more and allowing more of a Palestinian perspective into what they write.

ip-

snip--So there’s an AIPAC bubble, there’s a media bubble, but I think one of the even more powerful bubbles that exists in America in addition, is what I call the neocon bubble, and this is a very powerful, quite often very highly pro-Israeli bunch of intellectuals who have sort of been keeping all of us on our toes and they were instrumental in pushing a lot of policies, very heavily pro-Israeli policies, they were instrumental in pushing for the Iraq War and now they’re also instrumental in pushing for an attack on Iran.  We have three big bubbles in America, and this is what we here at Adbusters have been kind of fighting against for the last 15 years--

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My wish for the OWS movement is for them to start demanding that states and the fed go after those Wall Street banks and their cronies that helped bring about our economic demise.  The people need to see some of these clowns doing the perp walk.

Highlighted
Advisor

Sorry john. I simply can't locate the orignal MSN homepage article.

This is somewhat similar..

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/new-poll-republicans-suffering-in-tea-party-districts.php?...

I'm getting an eerie feeling as are many people I talk to that it isn't a good thing for a country with everything that is as critically amiss here and around the world to be seemingly sitting in idle mode for another 12 months, waiting for the next election. And to what end?

But that seems to be what is going on.

Iran is moving to the front of every news report. The neocons are becoming re-energized. I don't think the West will respond anywhere near to responsibly, as the last thing they want is a democratic solution there. Iranian power could very easily and seamlessly become the new abortion or same sex marrige like consciously "not to be solved" issue for the poltical right.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Sorry john. I simply can't locate the original MSN homepage article.

This is somewhat similar..

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/new-poll-republicans-suffering-in-tea-party-districts.php?...

I'm getting an eerie feeling as are many people I talk to that it isn't a good thing for a country with everything that is as critically amiss here and around the world to be seemingly sitting in idle mode for another 12 months, waiting for the next election. And to what end?

But that seems to be what is going on.

Iran is moving to the front of every news report. The neocons are becoming re-energized. I don't think the West will respond anywhere near to responsibly, as the last thing they want is a democratic solution there. Iranian power could very easily and seamlessly become the new abortion or same sex marriage like consciously "not to be solved" issue for the political right.

Nothing gets the ole economy going like a genuine World War, doncha know?  FDR used that for all its worth.

Highlighted
Advisor

Is that a suggestion that we should have stayed out of that one? Settled for a world run by the winner between the Axis powers and the U.S.S.R. dominated European Allies?

Let the rest of Europe and the near East be rebuilt under a Marshall plan, OK, but run out of Berlin or Moscow? Make China and the rest of Pacific Asia an extension of Hirohito's  Japan?

just wonderin'.

Highlighted
Advisor

I know you consider anything but the official history as taught k-12 to be revisionism, but blowback wasn't invented for 9/11.   You can't freeze time and say "change course on this day" then say well Hitler would have ruled the world, but if you go back ad take a different philosphy from the start, have stayed out of WW1, as a lender especially, and there might not have been a WW2.