cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

feritizer value

quertion, since you mention round corn stalk bales,   what is the the return value in forum of npk to ground measured in lbs?

Veteran Advisor

Re: Iowa producers...what say?

If only Dr. Krugman would weigh in so that you squirrels would know what to think.

Senior Advisor

Re: feritizer value

@hobbyfarm2145365 wrote:

quertion, since you mention round corn stalk bales,   what is the the return value in forum of npk to ground measured in lbs?

Depends on the size of the bales. One ton of stover has about 30lb/N 3.5lb/P and 20lb/K. If cut and raked probably 2.5-3ton/acre.  What really hurts is the loss of organic matter.

Honored Advisor

Around here, alot of stalks were square baled and put up in stacks that are now falling over, they never got picked up and have been sitting there over a year now.  I was surprised this fall a bunch was baled down by Jewell, why not pick up this old s**t first?  I guess they paid a certain amount if not picked up by last march and a little more this fall, the farmer gets fully paid and gets to do whatever they want if not picked up pretty soon now.

What was done was the spreader was turned off the combine and just what came out the back was baled, so it was just the cobs, husks and whatever stalks were pulled up by the baler.  If the bales were hauled off, there would be little evidence that it had been baled. 

There`s alot of hog and chicken manure around here, so i`m sure that adds back more than enough nutrients and OM that are removed. 

But like alot of these things, if the government wasn`t subsidizing it, I doubt you`d see any rush to cellulosic ethanol.

Advisor

6# P2O5, 25 K20 per ton, approximately

Advisor

Republicans don't usually do policy, they tend to undo it and depend on "the market".

But this one was a doozy. From the numerous Solyndras to the complete technical failure of the cellulosic portion, an historic public policy debacle.

When bad ideas get seeded they have a tendency to grow, though. Well before $150 oil and the Bush Admin had to try to appear to have an answer, I had a conversation with a professor from Ball State who wasn't even an ag or engineering guy, he was a landscape architect but was part of a grant group that had a little piece of it.

Not surprisingly he was annoyed and dismissive when I tried to explain my concerns about OM and soil degradation.

Advisor

The base minerals aren't going anywhere- that's even true of combustion where most of it remains in ash.

Don't know what they do with the waste product but assume if has little feed value so probably just spread it.

Advisor

Senior Contributor

thanks for the comment guys.   I have spoke to many different agronnist and recieve many different replies.  the great hefty boys say the main nutritonsmainly ly in root ball not so much in stock and leaves.  i guess their is no good and  fast rule covering this.

Senior Contributor

Go over to AgTalk Hobby, and you can read for the rest of the night on the subject,