cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Is England Kansas?

I say England rather than the UK because the majority of Leave voters are just fine with Scotland and Northern Ireland going their own way.

I don't think anyone fully appreciates the degree to which BoJo and his people are really wild eyed Utopians. Their vision is of an England that resembles Singapore- an international center of commerce with ultra low taxes and little if any financial or environmental regulation and scant public services.

It might turn out to be brilliant but also might turn out to be like Kansas' Utopian experiment.

I've been on the fence a little in regards to whether the US should offer England a fee trade agreement but this leads me to think that we should. They are the largest internally net-importing country within the EU so we might as well grab some of that. And we don't really want to be held responsible should it turn into Kansas.

16 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Is England Kansas?

Worth noting that a solid majority of Kansas voters fully embraced the Utopian experiment and hung tight for quite some time, waiting for the magic to kick in. A solid minority still thinks it would have, apparently.

Veteran Contributor

The thing that England has but KS didn't is its own currency. Although that's already been devalued by about a third since the GFC. 

If they wanted a wild experiment there might be better odds through MMT but I don't think that's on the menu.

Veteran Contributor

UK soveriegn debt to GDP around 40% vs. the US at 100.

10 yr gilt yield at .45%.

If I was going to make a crazy "things can't get worse so do something" play it would be about 180 degrees off from where they are apparently headed.

Veteran Contributor

But the Brexit or Bust people aren't economists- they are social revolutionaries.

No judgment attached, just stating facts.

Veteran Contributor

Bannon also a social revolutionary- quite unapologetically.

There's actually considerable history of unpleasantness following the rise of such figures- like Robespierre, Marx, Mao.

Senior Contributor

sdholloway56 do you have even the faintest knowledge of farming or for that matter even know what a tractor is?

Senior Contributor

@aljessen61 wrote:

sdholloway56 do you have even the faintest knowledge of farming or for that matter even know what a tractor is?

The Most Honourable obNOXious one, loves the sound of his own diction. 😂 

Senior Advisor

Is Kansas any worse than say California or Illinois?

Senior Contributor

(Is Kansas England?  And we don't really want to be held responsible should it turn into Kansas.)

You may not be aware but there is no longer any negative issues in Kansas since Governor Kelly took office, we have been saved Smiley Wink  I know this because there have not been any negative press, opinion or otherwise, on Kelly.  When Brownback & Collyer were in office, it was a daily negative diatribe. 

Kind of amazing what a D in front of your name will do.