cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

It is time to shut down the colleges

It is time to end the archaic system of colleges and degrees.  The internet has made them useless.  I’m not talking about on-line classes and degrees either.  Billions upon billions could be saved, and EVERYONE would have an equal chance.  College degrees are based up on a conglomeration of subjective opinions by numerous individuals (professors).  Anyone who succeeds in college has to want to learn, as we often tell our kids “it isn’t like High School".  The opportunity to find the absolute most intricate details on any subject is on everyone’s desktop. Self education is now fully possible.

If someone is strip searched and goes into a room bare ass naked with steel walls to take a grueling two day test in a given discipline and passes, he gets a “degree”.  A degree based upon knowledge not subjective opinions by agenda driven professors or to often on someone elses work.  No excuses for the “underprivileged”.  There would be a place for some private institutions to make labs available for self education in some areas.  But no grades.  No mandatory labs.  Just test the hell out of someone .  Some of the tests would have to be clinicals where you demonstrate a proficiency and this would require some subjectivity by someone who does not know you or have a bias.  There would probably be a need for more internships for a few areas that need an extended orientation.  Student teaching comes to mind.  But no where in society is there as much waste as the “higher learning” racket.

College is a ritual.  Life is an education.

Beer companies would never allow this.

29 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: It is time to shut down the colleges

Maybe just shut down some of the college's in some of the universities.  The ones that specialize in sociology, women's history, black history, basket weaving, cartoon editing, journalism, teachers,etc.

Let's keep the colleges that teach math, biology, chemistry, computer science, computer engineering, engnieering, geology, marine biology, medicine, by now you get the idea.

let's just educate those that really get an education and skip the ones where the professor says x and then gives a test where the student says x is the answer.  They aren't learing their being indoctrinated.

Senior Advisor

It's only you that are of the right wing persuasion that can be indoctrinated. Note the following for Rush, Hannity, or Beck.  Democrats have no such voice because they turn them off when they preach such nonsense.

I assure you there are many farm folks that have earned college degrees and most of them are independent thinkers. Not the indoctrinated robots you describe. But you folks,Milligan, youhav, doc, dag have all been indoctrinated but not by college professors. 

Veteran Advisor

obama_communist.pngdemoçrats are independent thinkers??!???

Shoot.... they can't make any independent thought without checking out the party approved talking points.

This website is your mantra of thinking, right down to the brass tacks.

Senior Contributor

Why is it those who have never achieved a 4 yr degree or higher have such disdane for higher learning institutions, and those that have? I couldn't be jealousy, could it?

Veteran Advisor

if they shut down the colleges, where will small town boys go to learn about drinking, chasing women, and talking nonsense?

Senior Contributor

Another ignorant reply.

You must have never participated in hish school sports.

Frequent Contributor

No, I have seen that its main purpose is to extend childhood for more years while others start life and start there education four years earlier.

People of reasonable intellect with a degree or without obtain the equivalent of several doctorates by the time they are 40.  Dumb people are still walking around ignorant whether they have a degree or not. Why should a naive and dumb person who earned a degree while Daddy and Mommy paid the bills be held in more esteem 40 years later than a person of great knowledge with no degree.

I am glad I sent my boys to college.  One has an ag business degree.  Another is half way through.  Both were bored by the simplicity of it.  I left with a 5.0 on a 5.0 scale after three semesters in corporate accounting because I aced the postal exam and got a mail carrier job within three months of taking the exam the first time.  This is the only place in life I know of that based upon knowledge rather than degree.  Degree added no points.  I was at a five or ten point disadvantage to a room full of veterans that were spotted five or ten points. I read the accounting books to learn and took up space in the class room.  A business correspondence teacher told me that he hoped to learn from me to better teach in the future.  You are right.  I dont like ignorant  people with a degree looking down at me.  Intelligent and very knowledgable people with a degree .... welll that is ok.  they did work for the degree.

As I said before there would be no disadvantage to the "underpriviledged" if they were allowed to compete based on knowledge rather than grades from a 20,000 tuition!  Oh wait.  I forgot.  Testing isnt fair to minorities for some reason.

Very simply put, knowledge, whereever one gets it from should count more than where the hell they were between 18 and 22.

Senior Advisor

Re: It is not unusual

For the ignorant to criticize the educated amongst us..  They may know book larnin but they lack commn sense. We have all heard that one.

The fact is those that went on to earn a degree, at least exhibited the ambition and the commitment to earn that degree. Most graduate knowing they do not know it all but have learned the skills so they knpow how  to research and learn.

Why are so many college graduates democrats? Because they have learned to be skeptical and doubtful of what your selling. Most of us democrats are not dems because what dems offer. It's because we don't buy the blarney that the right sells. Blame yourself bub. You are beleivable only by the most gullible and illiterate.

You exhibit that nonsense by your subject line.

Senior Contributor

What kind of college did you go 3 semisters to? One of those mail order colleges?  One that gives out a 5.0 for an A grade?? Never heard of such a grade point scale. Is that school giving out something below a 'D' grade for failing?

-The university I attended had a 4.0 equating to an 'A' grade.