cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: It is time to shut down the colleges

Senior Contributor

Pretty hard for Rush, Hannity or any of those to indoctrinate me

I seldom listen to them.  Hannity is on TV waaaay to late.  Rush ticks me off because he's been married 3 times and promises to tell you about something in the next hour and never gets around to it.  Then there's Glen Beck who I've never listened to or watched, not sure which is correct.

I've had my opinions and thoughts formed by reading and watching since I was a boy.  I regularly engaged our left wing history/social studies teacher with contrary points.  Much to his chagrin because he was unable to defend the logical against the absurd of the left.

You continue to insult by assuming that people such as yourself who get their information from the daily kos, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN and MSNBC are intelligent and thoughtful while those of us who read the words of Hamilton, Madison, Voltaire, C.S. Lewis are ignorant idiots.

Only a prosperous society has enough money to waste on dilettantes that refuse to do honest work and we've run out of honest workers in relation to those who feel they are owed a prosperous living because they spent 4 years or more drinking and engaging in sex while regurgitating some leftist professors words.

Senior Advisor

Sure as heck won't pay for much college tuition.

Senior Contributor

It's only you that are of the right wing persuasion that can be indoctrinated. Note the following for Rush, Hannity, or Beck.  Democrats have no such voice because they turn them off when they preach such nonsense.

Don, if you truly believe that then I have lost all hope for you.  There are great independent thinkers in both parties and a whole bunch of sheeple in both parties.  Yes there are many on the right that listen to and swear by Rush, Hannity and Beck.   However for you to suggest that there are not also many Dems that listen to propaganda type shows on MSNBC or Air America is simply equivalent to sticking your head in the sand.   I've seen part of only one show of Beck's and that is when he made a fool of himself with the "tickling" Congressman Massa.  I have seen very very little of Hannity back when he also had the Dem co-host.  I do still hear a little of Rush when stuck in the tractor or combine for long days and get tired of hearing the same songs over and over. In fact I watch more of Olbermann and Maddow then I do any right wing show.

Younger folks naturally tend to be more liberal and always have.  Even those that do not attend college are more liberal.  Another simple fact is most professors lean to the left which helps indoctrinate their students into the left's agenda.  But like the old saying says many of these folks become more conservative as they get older.  I myself see nothing wrong with being a Repub or Dem although I would prefer everyone to be a independent and vote based on the candidates and not the party.   The folks I have trouble with is the extremists in both parties.

One of the best lessons to be learn by going to college is to learn to be more responsible for your life.  When I went to college I went down and toured the school by myself and also went down without my parents and found an apartment to rent.  Having to cook, clean, pay bills, wake yourself up in the morning, buy groceries and other necessities is something many kids have never had to do before heading off to college.  College is also a great place to meet new friends and broaden ones horizon and views on subjects one has never dealt with before especially if coming from a small rural town as I did.   These things alone make the college experience valuable in my eyes.  However I do agree there is much that could be learned at a far cheaper costs through the internet without the expense of college.  I do think we will see more and more continuing education done online because of the convenience, cheaper costs and ability to reach a much broader audience.   

Advisor

Numbers of people attending 4 year colleges is just one more thing that has been a phnenomena of the 30 year bubble. Along with a narrow slot of parts of a couple of generations having huge retirement accounts just for having showed up for work for 30 years.  Or of exceptional profits for commidity ag producers as a result of the GMO revolution for a while until the as corps caught up to speed with capturing their entitled share of the spoils. Or massive attendance at big college and pro sports events...some among any number of things that "the market" is going to change.

Senior Advisor

Re: Why do college professors have a liberal bent?

Perhaps, it's because they are educated and know how to make analytical judgements of what they see and hear. Perhaps, they have heard  read the arguments and you lost. Same as the media types. They have heard the testimony from both sides and know who is believable and who makes sense.

One need only evaluate what the parties believe and who they try to represent and defend. If you care about people, real people you may view politics in one manner. If you only care about your self or your pocketbook, you may well think another.  

If you try ti sell the same propaganda you have been selling for decades and we have your record to look at, we are not apt to be convinced .hus the onl thing you have to sell is how terrible and looney the left is. No plans, no ideas, only diminish the other guys. The guys that are trying to do something, not the guys that are only obstructionists.

Senior Advisor

Re: Good point

However, it you are repeating their mantra it matters not if you got it directly or indirectly. It's simply a matter of one parrot quoting another.

BTW.. I could almost be a ditto head by parroting what is posted on here. I don't know about you but many of your compadres are completely and totally indoctrinated. Doesn't it bother you to be associated with folks that parrot that mantra? I would think you would be embarrassed.

Senior Advisor

Re: No I don't

I came home to farm.

Like I said before. You don't have to listen to those folks directly. You may well be parroting another parrot.

The only ones to indoctrinate me are the righties. I have a great BS detector and the right has done more to influence my opinion that any other person or group.

Advisor

Re: You missed some points

Colleges is where people make connections, join the guild, get their ticket or liscence, marry money etc..   A lot of it is social, a scocial club, look at all the politicians and banksters, corporate gangsters who belong to the same farternities, the same business schools who work hand in hand like organized crime.   You're right this is the start of a new age of enlightenment if we are lucky, this is a dark age of the brainwashed statist collectivism  now, hope man can escape it.

Advisor

Re: You missed some points

Very much of that is true..I told my kids that what they'll find out after hanging around with the same bunch for 4 years and getting to know a number of them and some things about them and thier backgrounds is that in the end what they will see in the most stark terms is that the really good looking, self-confident out of 20+ years of minimal stress comfort and grooming "bred up" grads will get the best jobs. As they have confirmed.

Trouble is now, not many of any of them are...so many of "the best and birghtest" are simply going on to more school, hoping to ride this out.

David Broooks, the NY Times designated conserative columnist adds this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/opinion/08brooks.html?ref=opinion&pagewanted=print