cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

It's not about free speach

Scotus thinks that regulating campaign contributions restricts freedom of speech. That is not true. Anyone can say anything in this country with no restrictions.

What the money does is allows those with money to have the loudest voice. Nearly three decades of conservative radio should confirm that. What the court has done is assured that moneyed interests dominate the political discussion.

So now it allows those with political connections to influence candidates that is more in tune with the donors philosophy that the people the cadidate will represents. Sheldon Adelson has the license to greatly influence elections in all 50 states becuase the average voter in any state does not have as loud a megaphone to compete.

If anyone thinks this is a positive for the american electorate, I would like to hear it.

17 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: It's not about free speach

Put your money where your mouth is Krafty....Just because you're too tight to spend yours doesn't mean you must restrict everyone else.  Money talks, bullsiht walks.

Highlighted
Advisor

' That is not true. Anyone can say anything in this country with no restrictions.'

Uh, aren't you asking for restrictions.

The people have it already in their power to vote for people with less money to spend.   They'll mostly vote for the whoever their preferred party sticks in front of them.    

Highlighted
Advisor

Actually it might be.

Although the legal concepts of slander and libel are also well established.

I'd like to see a tort cap for such cases set at approximately the net worth of the Kochs, Adelson and T. Boone, combined.

The trial lawyers would then have plenty of money to give to Democrats.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Are you saying that billions of dollars do not influence elections?
Highlighted
Advisor

Thinking about Charlie Koch's WSJ screed against "collectivists."

Yep it takes somewhere between 2 and 5 thousand  me's to equal him.

So I guess I'm fine with being one.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I really do not think that this is a big deal in the scheme of things.  Apple Computer, Delta, American Airlines among other businesses and local governments HELD GOVERNOR JAN BREWER HOSTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/02/26/arizonas-experience-with-controversial-... 

Threatening to slam an entire state into a recession is criminal and no one did a Goll Darned Freaking thing to stop it! 

Look all you Jew haters out there, maybe Adelson will stick the GOP with a "electable evil Jeb Bush or Chris Christie" but I got news for you...that Hillary Clinton loves the Jews more than anyone.  All she will have to do is say "Look Adelson gave my opponent Jeb Bush $1 billion and I didn`t get any"  and all the bobble-heads will vote for Hillary.  But once she gets in, she`ll throw all kinds of money to the Jews.

All Adelson is doing is driving front runners of the GOP primary out, namely Rand Paul and Ted Cruz...2 of very few that still might be able to fix things.   But you Jew haters, I can see why you like this Obama...that Mo-Fo hates the Jews like no one else...that and he throws you guys some goodies  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Money is all important isn't it? You need money to vote and money to talk. After all if you don't have money you have nothing worthy of attention. Right? Right?

Highlighted
Advisor

no I'm saying the people can solve the problem anytime they choose with no change to any law. but they won't, you voted for Obama right? the whole argument don rests on is that people are to stupid to see through the influence of money. taking the money out will not take the stupid out.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You aren't really calling me stupid are you?