cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

It's terrifying

Is how some Texas Muslims describe the present politicalcampaign against them and their religion.

There is the comparrison to Europe, Germany and Hitler in the 1930ies and in my eyes there is no doubt the similarities exist.

A political 'leader' who spouts racist threats and all the followers line up behind him an obvious setup for radicals to take those words to the extreme with their hate.

Read this and see if 'you' are one of those promoting hate and supporting people who do promote it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/02/27/its-terrifying-texas-muslims-grapple-with-the-rise-of-d...

“I’m not worried about him making policies. I’m worried about everybody else making policies at the local level,” Khalil, 42, said before a midday prayer at a Houston mosque. “I think certain people are going to start really pushing that agenda.”
“What sort of political climate will my children be raised in? What type of environment will I have to walk through 10 years or 15 years down the line?” said Sameera Omar, a 22-year-old psychology graduate in Dallas. “At first it was just entertainment. It’s terrifying that as time keeps going and we’re getting closer and closer to the election, this is starting to settle in.”
Omar, who wears the hijab, said she is newly nervous walking to her car. She said she is more concerned, though, that Trump is fostering in Muslims a paralyzing apprehension about their own identities — the kind of fear, she said, that “limits where you see yourself in this country, limits the possibility of your achievements as a citizen, makes you doubt who you are as a person of faith.”
“It would be horrifying,” she said, “if this period of time was the catalyst for generations and generations of people who are not confident in their own skin.”

The Muslim community is highly diverse, and so are Muslim opinions on the nature of the Trump threat. Shuja Rab, a 37-year-old software engineer praying at the Houston mosque, said “it almost feels like it’s like Nazi Germany all over again.” Jalali, whose job demands hopefulness, said she still sees Trump as a “big circus act” rather than a serious menace.
“I don’t let it get to me,” she said in a coffee shop on Thursday. “I don’t want to be scared. I don’t want to live like that.”

22 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: It's terrifying

Despite some of the media hype, it isn't a campaign against them and their religion, it is a campaign to be nominated to be in the campaign.  Yes, the eventual national campaign is for POTUS: yet, 1) there remain 3 branches of government, checks and balances; 2) party platforms to be established at the conventions will "tone down" some of the "terrifyiing" rhetoric, or the party candidate will lose party support, essentially conceding to the other side unless the popular vote overwhelms the electoral college; and 3) our POTUS is not a king, emperor, dictator, pope nor ayatollah -- there are limitations, or there will be a revolt.

Veteran Advisor

That is true but the sad truth is the nut cases like the bundys and the other Oregon trespassers and similar groups grow on those words and don't tone down.  They become further empowered to cause violence against those they hate!  Those are the people this lady is talking about!

Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

That is true but the sad truth is the nut cases like the bundys and the other Oregon trespassers and similar groups grow on those words and don't tone down.  They become further empowered to cause violence against those they hate!  Those are the people this lady is talking about!

I think just as much or more terrifying is the way members of the black community are calling for the killing of cops. Not only the killing of cops but the assertion that all whites are racist. Not a political leader is speaking up against them.

Senior Contributor

Maybe he will 'tone it down' but I would find it hard to vote for someone who spouted that kind of hatred at any time.

There are lots of people full of hatred that those kind of words will just give them cause to carry out atrocious acts.

History shows how a person spoutinghatred toward one group was able to take over governments and circumvent all the checks and balances when no one stands up to them before they get into power.

And of course those who are partial to discrimination and hatred fall right into line to help them take control.

Seems a bad way to get elected by spouting hatred and nonsense claims and promises.

Rational people should never vote for a person like that.

Veteran Advisor

Are you a cop?

Senior Contributor

(Rational people should never vote for a person like that.)

It is interesting that the people who tell us that Donald Trump would be a bad President - are the same people who told us that Barack Obama would be a good President.

Senior Advisor

@Edmund55 wrote:

It is interesting that the people who tell us that Donald Trump would be a bad President - are the same people who told us that Barack Obama would be a good President.

And that Bruce Jenner is a girl.

Senior Contributor

@Edmund55 wrote:

What I am saying is someone who promotes hatred against a segmentof society is a bad person.

Why would anyone want a person promoting hatred to be a leader of anything?

Did Obama promote hate?

Honored Advisor

Well you have to admit that there`s a segment of Islam that hates America and has become radical....and that is fine, but it would really be stupid to let those people in.  There is no way to vet a good Muslim from a bad one, if a bad one gets in and shoots up a school then the liberals cry for guncontrol.

It isn`t about hate at all, the reality is there are too many people in this country already, we don`t need and can`t handle any more, legal or illegal one`s....No more!