cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Jesse Ventura anecdote

I have no idea if it is true but this is the story he told. On his first day as MN Gov in 1991 he was visited by a large group comprised of dozens the heads and muckymucks from all the federal agencies in MN who made a large semi-circle around his desk, ostensibly "welcomed" him but mostly just stared.

The take was that the Fed Gov. and perhaps prez GHWB didn't know what the possibly crazy populist had in mind but needed to be reminded that there was a much larger and more powerful government structure in place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/10/from-trump-to-brexit-here-are-six-previously-impossib...

As Warner observes, Trump won't be able to do a lot of what he says he will. And he also throws off the suggestion regarding populist demagogues as the more likely road to Venezuela.

But that's from a Burkeian Tory, and we now have a substantial cohort that believes the time for incremental change is past. Things can't get any worse, so somebody do something.

37 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Jesse Ventura anecdote

I understand Mexico is willing to build the wall and pay for it under these conditions

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 7.58.19 AM.png

r3020
Senior Advisor

It was the people of Mexico who fought for and won their freedom to join the United Sates. Do you think they should have the right to secede from the Union and become a Mexican state once again? And why is it that all of these people who are going to leave if Trump becomes president are going to Canada, why don't they go to Mexico?

hardnox
Advisor

Actually just the recent Texas immigrants, who were angry that Santa Ana had abolished slavery.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Really Nox. The race card? Again. Well, whatever. Should work about as well as the war on women card.

hardnox
Advisor

I'd like you to refute that bit of historical fact rather playing the victim card.

r3020
Senior Advisor

OK. Lets go with your premise the Mexicans are racist. Now what?

hardnox
Advisor

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook.cfm?smtid=3&psid=3672

"8th. Whether the military force of the United States was or was not sent into that settlement after General Taylor had more than once intimated to the War Department that, in his opinion, no such movement was necessary to the defence or protection of Texas."

Source: Abraham Lincoln, “Spot Resolutions,” December 22, 1847

Kinda sounds like Pres. Polk was a lyin' bloodthirsty white trasher like Bush.

r3020
Senior Advisor

So now you want to give it back to Mexico?

hardnox
Advisor

No, merely pointing out the historical innacuracy of you self accomodating assertions.

Canuck's piece is pretty funny but I don't really see where even an historically accurate view really informs the current immigration debate one way or the other.

But I think it is important to see the historical facts as clearly as possible- a sunday night Disney bit on The Alamo with brave white gun toting fellows and legends like Bowie and Crockett really didn't serve the purpose.

That was actually a bit of Statist Propaganda from period when we were trying to "all just get along" in the name of the greater empire, and happy to accomodate Texas, and Confederate, mythology for the sake of it.

And true enough, in that great imperial period being a white christian male conferred greater relative status than it does today. And enter Trump.