cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Jesse Ventura anecdote

Following this discussion and thinking about the possibility of the 2 of you running against each other  for office in Indiana,

30 in a landslide:  http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/heres-the-real-reason-we-all-underrated-trump.html

hardnox
Advisor

Oh for sure.

I couldn't get elected dogcatcher and at this point I'm continuously, and now permanently driven off my centrist leanings by nuttiness on the right.

There is a little hope for Indiana, though. The Indianapolis donut has gotten a little tired of the outstate extremists in the legislature, and that's where population and economic and political power continues to migrate. Traditionally both parties have fought domination by Indianapolis but they're losing by default.

Particularly if money from Koch et al is held back from Trump then Gov. Pence will probably attract a bunch of it but I think he's vulnerable, and polls support that.

That race might be determined by the top of the ticket. Way too early to make any prognostications on that one. On the surface you'd think it would be Trump country but I'm guessing that one of the other of the two most disliked candidates in modern history will have imploded by then and I'm really not comfortable picking which one.

BTW, not that anybody who doesn't agree cares what I think but I wholeheartedly agree with the writer that Trump is a classic con man. But the Art of the Con requires that the mark have a bit of larceny in his own heart.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Only one problem, a huge chunk of that land mass was purchased from the french aka louisiana purchase. Of course a goodly part was previously owned by the folks with feathers and bows and arrows.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

And the feathered folk had a long and sometimes very bloody history of taking it from other

feathered folks.

me thinks the millionaire Indians in America at Morton, Mille Lac, Mystic Lake, etal are pretty

glad things have worked out the way they have.

r3020
Senior Advisor

If you want to see how Almighty Big Government takes care of people look at the American Indian.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I thought you proud of American through thick and thin no matter what???

r3020
Senior Advisor

You're not?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

No, I'm not proud of slavery, how we treated the Native Americans, the internment camps for the Japanese-Americans, nor the way a large portion of the country appear to hate everyone and everything this is different than they are.  Are you?

r3020
Senior Advisor

Or the way we treat the western ranchers.

hardnox
Advisor

As per an anecdote that I've been told frequently, I've seen a couple cases where guys who were successful as farmers or small businessmen decided they were going to enter local politics and fix everything right pronto.

Being the dictators of their own domains and convinced that their success meant they were brilliant they never did the groundwork to understand how the institutions actually worked and after maybe firing a few people or taking care of one pet peeve, got frustrated and either quit or didn't run for re-election.

I suppose that being prez carries considerably more perks than county council and would be the ultimate for a narcissist, which most are.

But I imagine its also a pretty big buzzkiller when your favorability is down below 30%,  the press is hitting you from al sides and more than anything the problems are not responding to the solutions that you've implemented.

I suppose that in that case or current polarization is a good thing because you can always count on 30-40% defending you no matter what. Even bush had that when his favorables were that low and in fact in the waters I swim in remained fairly popular although most have disowned him now that there's no cost.

Only VP Cheney ever got to the point where even his own dog didn't like him- I think he cracked single digits at one point.

Chart below.