cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Jewish communities exercise 2nd amendment rights

More good guys with a gun.

Following last month's stabbing during a Hanukkah celebration at a Rabbi's home in Monsey, New York, Jews in the area are taking their safety seriously and have decided to defend themselves. Orthodox and Hasidic Jews in Rockland County are applying for pistol licenses, which would allow them to carry concealed, en masse. 

According to the New York Post, the Rockland County clerk's office saw a drastic increase in pistol license applications following the attack on Dec. 28th. Over the eight weeks prior to the attack, the clerk's office received an average of six applications per week across the county. Over that entire time period, only two applications were from Monsey. 

Following the attack, 65 applications across the country have come in. Of those, 23 are from Monsey. Sixty of the applications come from the town of Rampao which encompasses Monsy and other heavily Jewish areas, the Post reported.

The Jewish owner of Precision Gunsmiths in a nearby town, Erik Melanson, said he's seen an increase in people purchasing firearms, especially as anti-Semitic attacks in the area are on the rise.

“A lot of people are worried, especially the large Hasidic and Jewish community in Rockland County,” Melanson explained. “I have had rabbis come in. Some of the rabbis already have concealed carry” permits.

Shlomo Reichberg, a Monsey resident who is a current firearms instructor and former Israeli soldier, said he understands why people feel the need to carry a gun.

“I spoke to some people. They just want to have a firearm to protect themselves. They feel like that’s the only way,” Reichberg said. “If we need to go there, we’re ready.”

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2020/01/14/the-nyc-jewish-community-is-arming-itself-follo...

9 Replies
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Re: Jewish communities excise 2nd amendment rights

Looks like a few Jews are showing that the second amendment is NOT about hunting. As I get older, I am more inclined to forgive a lot of transgressions, but one thing that has become more and more intrenched in me is the absolute support for the second amendment.

Anyone that comes out as a gun grabber is automatically placed in a bin labeled "fool". If you cannot read simple history and understand what happens to the minorities that cannot defend themselves, then our educational system has failed.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

All of every interaction we humans partake in is built upon the right of a person to be alive.   Fundamental to that right is the right to defend yourself to preserve your own life.   The people who wish to take that right away want to take upon themselves the right to decide who lives and who dies.     Instead of an individuals right to be alive they see it as a collective decision for the good of the collective who will live and who will not live.      

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Sam, I have individuals from my ancestral pool, and my wife does too, that were killed for who they were and where they were. It's not ancient history to either of us, and our ability to defend ourselves is sacred.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Essay from a Fool

https://www.thenation.com/article/repeal-second-amendment-gun-control/

lots of bias against hunters, gun owners, etc. but not a single word about Warsaw, Armenia, Auschwitz, etc. The author is a fool that has no understanding of why the second amendment exists.

She does mention militias, but mistakenly suggests that they need to be under state control, and obviously gives Abraham Lincoln a free pass over what he did to "state militia's" exercising their rights.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

Re: Essay from a Fool

Essay says allot, allot about the author.

But sure, change the constitution, that can be done.    Not gonna happen.   

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Don't need to change the Constitution- Scalia's landmark gun opinions make it clear that the Constitution permits the sort of gun regulations that a strong majority of Americans favor.

What needs to be changed is how the minority continues to thwart the implementation of those.

NRA was sort of the original straw man school- "registration is the prelude to confiscation" and all that.

Certainly one of the gateway drugs into RW kookdom.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Still a matter of fascination to me that the Likudists played footsie with the alt-right (fused to the Christian Zios) and it happens that the occasional random RW nutter goes out to kill a Jew or two.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

stricter voter registration laws would do a whole lot more to making America a better place than any gun registration law.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

Don't need to change the Constitution- Scalia's landmark gun opinions make it clear that the Constitution permits the sort of gun regulations that a strong majority of Americans favor.

What needs to be changed is how the minority continues to thwart the implementation of those.

NRA was sort of the original straw man school- "registration is the prelude to confiscation" and all that.

Certainly one of the gateway drugs into RW kookdom.

States are welcome to do that.  California has some pretty restrictive laws, hasn't done much.