cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

John Wayne Birthday Parade

Over in Winterset, today, was a large horse themed parade to honor The Duke. The marching band led the way playing the theme from The Magnificent Seven. Here is that famous score:

https://youtu.be/8XDB7GMnbUQ

Ah, .... The days when MEN were MEN, and Women loved them for it. 

16 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: John Wayne Birthday Parade

Did the parade dodge the rain drops, Craig?  🙂   The Mason City Band Festival was very soggy and Tree Town at Forest City, I`m gonna drive by at a safe distance, that could resemble Woodstock  with the mud.

John Wayne was a great man, all those movies.  It just takes a person back to a much better time. 

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Horses ?? How disrespectful.

JW HATED equines !

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Yes, everything was dry. 158 horses , wagons filled with veterans. Everything was perfect. John Wayne's daughter was on one of the wagons. Everyone commented on how great the band sounded and marched. 

The rain hit about an hour after the parade finished..

I went to the cemetery at dawn, this morning, and helped the VFW guys put up 578 big flags along the roadways. This is the first year that my son wasn't with me, as he is in leadership training at the Boy Scout camp north of Rhinelander, Wisconsin.   He is going to be the Director of the Eagle Academy at Camp Mitigua, Boone, Iowa, this summer. Never has a 19 year old held this position before. His Dad, to say the least, is very proud of him. 

Speaking of Boone, I might be training to operate a diesel locomotive soon, at the Boone and Scenic Valley RR. I have always loved trains and have wanted to operate one since I could walk. If I can run their vintage F-unit across that 148 foot tall Bass Creek High Bridge, I will be the happiest man in the world. Smiley Happy

image.jpeg

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Just exactly when were these "better times"?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What I mean is, I am jealous of those that lived in John Wayne`s generation circa (1907-1979) they are dead now and they are lucky!  But they lived through the golden age of America.  Oh I know they went through a depression, 2 world wars and a couple "police actions" but America was great and there was hope for future generations..now there is none.  Now, its voting against the greater evil, and making do one day at a time.

It shouldn`t be that way, a decent person should know generations as far as he can see will absolutely do BETTER than their elders.  Like they say in horror movies "the lucky one`s die first".

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Why don't you just shoot your sorry butt then? I was born in '43 and I'm telling you I think things are a lot better now.  Sure life was much less complicated then but it is far more interesting now and the economy is vastly better than it was then.  the conservative branch of mankind in this country has gone completely, totally, irreversably batsh*tcrazy today!  the people you ahve put in charge of the country would rather destroy the country thanlive and make better the ACA and they admit to that--some of them at least!  Of course, those people you would call RINOs because they have renounced the wacko ideasthat are surfacing--pastors standing on street corners telling HS students they are evil and deserve to be raped (Glendale, AZ), some are saying all gays should be hung, y'all want to be able to discriminate against anyone you don't like.  People call the president gay and his wife a transgender and his daughter one also, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.  I'm telling you , you ain't going back to the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or anyother time so if you are so absolutely miserable, SHOOT YOURSELF AND TAKE EVERYONE AROUND YOU OUT OF THEIR MISERY ALSO!!!!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I`m not committing hari-kari, sorry to disappoint you.  We are living in "end times" i know some of the Bible prophets of old wanted to live now to be able to tell the antichrist to "go F himself" ..but to watch a country that you loved destroy itself and the people decend into moral rot, is not a pleasant thing to witness.   If the doc said i had a couple weeks to live, I wouldn`t be too disappointed.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Well, you are defintely sick!!  Yeah, you are a great Christian, saying the prophets of old would like to tell the antichrist, whoever that might be, to go F himself.  None that I have ever heard of would ever have said something like that.  You are too sick for me.  Auf Wiedersehan!!

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

toot, toot!