cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Re: Judge won't issue restraining order

So I have read the different links presented and they start talking of `sharia law` in some of them as you do but from the quotes of the judge there is no mention of Sharia Law, just the man`s religious belief`s.

Now if no consideration of his religious belief can be allowed then all the more reason to change a bunch of laws of the land that have nothing to do with anything except some religious orders take on what their particular `god`is quoted as saying. Like same sex marriage the prohibition of which is strictly a religious belief by some and no harm is done to others.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

I also learned to respect ALL humans from my parents.

If people want to come down on this judge because he made a decision on his religious beliefs then there are a lot of other judges who should be out of work too.

Many movies have given the people who watch them the wrong impression including what actually happened in history.

I am not sure what can be done about the movies except to teach people to understand they are make believe.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

I know some of the links refer to Sharia Law but is that what the judge was making his decision on.

There is often a difference of opinion in how the laws on the books are interpreted but saying this is Sharia law seems like a miss use of the English language to paint a picture which my not be totally true.

The judge made a decision, right or wrong, is there any evidence that he was enforcing Sharia law. (sorry, for some reason I can not get a question mark only É)

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

It's because it's about as factual as one of Milligans .............uhhhh.............."stories".

I didn't see any "I'll bet", or even "I had heard" BS, and quite surprisingly, there's no gratuitous kicking of a dog, and in this instance, peeing on a (please insert applicable Catholic or Protestant religion).

Look at WHO posted it, and ask yourself if you REALLY think that it's true.

Jim.ia.us
Frequent Contributor

I knew you would reply. I'm glad you did.  I will explain. A man that follows the will of God he will treat his wife with utmost respect. He considers her an equal. God started the marriage covenant. He wanted the man to be the leader of the family. As I said before when a woman finds a Christian man she knows he will treat her with respect. If she is a Christian she knows God wants her to treat him as the leader of the family. I hope this helps. If not I will try again.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Such hogwash! "when a woman finds a christian man she knows he will treat her with respect." I dare there are a lot of married women that can prove your wrong.  Women marry men for better or worse but sometimes their worst imaginations are not bad enough.

As a matter of fact I don't know how some of those scantimonious ******** can even get a wife let alone keep one.

This is 2010 and if you are using religion as an reason to demand submission, you're lucky she or her family hasn'nt educated you!

hardnox604008
Advisor

I am not a legal scholar but am not aware of any principle that says that religious practice supercedes the law. That would include things like some of the quasi-christian polygamist cults and child sexual abuse therein(although local prosecutors and others apparently made a nice big high publicity mess of some of those cases).

Don't know that it has anything to do with being a lefty or a righty or whatever. It is about the rule of law. And FWIW I also find the behavior morally repugnant and the judge's actions inexcusable.

On a different track though, back when Afghanistan was the "good war" we felt pretty good about the fact that we were going to put an end to the terrible treatment of women in that backward and brutal place.

Fast forward and TIME's cover last week had a picture of an Afghan woman whose nose and ears had been cut off because she was accused of adultery with a headline to the effect of "look what we're going to permit if we leave."

I don't know, don't know on that one.

Jim.ia.us
Frequent Contributor

Sir, you claim to be an atheist, a hater of God. What do you know about a Christian man or woman?  You do not know what you are talking about. A true Christian will treat everyone with respect. The people you speak of are not true Christians.

I don't need to use religion, God is not a religion. God is real. Do not mock him. Be very careful.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

A married couple was in bed one night watching "Who wants to be a millionaire" when the husband rolls over and asks his wife to have sex with him.  She looks at him and says "No!"  He said "Is that your final answer?"  This time she didn't even look at him.  She just said "No!"  He then said, "Then I would like to call a friend!"  

That's when the fight started.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Skip the god stuff. Everyone should treat other humans as equals.

The problem is many religious people have the attitude that they are better than others, that they have a god that is better than others and too many times the women in society pay the price.

Lots of Christian men have, and are, miss treating women. Christians are not immune to the abuse of others. No woman should have to obey any man just as no man should have to obey any woman. Mutual respect is the correct way to interact.

And why should the man be the leader of the family?

I think the best way is to lead when it is an area of expertise for you, with your partners permission, and let your partner lead when they are the one with the expertise.