cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wehav
Senior Contributor

Just an interesting board

http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=10878.15

Got there by accident looking for a quote. Read through it and came across this;

Apart from the fact that white kids have money to buy the music, they buy it because it stands for universal principles of freedom. Because the music is radical, because they're tired of picket fenced suburbia. They're tired of being stifled by privilege, it bores them. They want a cause, they want to feel in touch with other people across their privilege. Black music is Humanistic, its for the soul. Even when it speaks about Black issues, it speaks to the humanistic side of a white kid.
I have white friends who can't stand white people.
What they mean is, they can't stand people who are exclusivists who want the world to revolve around them. Its like me, I can't stand BEE's who personalise their license plates, buy wine farms and forget that the struggle continues.
You can get White Rastafarians, but you can't get Black Skin heads.
Saying White Power is like saying Viva Hitler. Saying Black Power is like saying Freedom to the masses.
Rob i'm sure there's no ways you would start chanting about white power because you know it doesnt stand for the same thing as Black Power.
Saying Down with the Jews, is not the same as saying Down with the Nazis.
Some white kids wanna get free from 'whiteness', somehow, Black music gives them a chance. But it also means they have to accept that as white people they are part of a **bleep**ty legacy. Problem is most of them don't want to admit it. They want the world to be grateful for 'European progress', they get defensive. Sorry, European progress destroyed the planet, accept it.
Anyway though, race is becoming a murky concept to work with these days.

2 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: Wow.... :o/

@wehav wrote:

http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=10878.15

Got there by accident looking for a quote. Read through it and came across this;

Apart from the fact that white kids have money to buy the music, they buy it because it stands for universal principles of freedom. Because the music is radical, because they're tired of picket fenced suburbia. They're tired of being stifled by privilege, it bores them. They want a cause, they want to feel in touch with other people across their privilege. Black music is Humanistic, its for the soul. Even when it speaks about Black issues, it speaks to the humanistic side of a white kid.
I have white friends who can't stand white people.
What they mean is, they can't stand people who are exclusivists who want the world to revolve around them. Its like me, I can't stand BEE's who personalise their license plates, buy wine farms and forget that the struggle continues.
You can get White Rastafarians, but you can't get Black Skin heads.
Saying White Power is like saying Viva Hitler. Saying Black Power is like saying Freedom to the masses.
Rob i'm sure there's no ways you would start chanting about white power because you know it doesnt stand for the same thing as Black Power.
Saying Down with the Jews, is not the same as saying Down with the Nazis.
Some white kids wanna get free from 'whiteness', somehow, Black music gives them a chance. But it also means they have to accept that as white people they are part of a **bleep**ty legacy. Problem is most of them don't want to admit it. They want the world to be grateful for 'European progress', they get defensive. Sorry, European progress destroyed the planet, accept it.
Anyway though, race is becoming a murky concept to work with these days.

Sounds like the normal sermon from obama's spiritual guru, The Reverend Jeremiah Wrong, of the "I Hates Da Whiteys Çhurçh" in Shy-cago.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Re: Wow.... :o/

I didn't read it that way, but then I doubt we see much of anything the same.