cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Just for discussion

Suppose you have 10 Billion setting in the bank.  What will you invest in?

9 Replies
Advisor

Re: Just for discussion

Maybe another bank. It's been said often that the best way to rob a bank is to own one. Somebody even wrote a book about it.

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/blabes.html

Senior Contributor

land--telecoms-utilities

Veteran Advisor

It wouldn't be in the dow, nasdaq or that other one for sure!!

Senior Contributor

Re: typical dumocrat response

why you dont like backing american companies or creating jobs must be an obamoite

Veteran Advisor

a free hint...when the market tanks , that is the time to invest.

How old are you, again?  Ten?

Advisor

Serious answer

It it were actually there, and just not on some ledger and I could actually secure it for use in payment and not trigger a 3 alarm transaction alert at God only knows how many agencies, I'd see just how much of a federally inspected meat processing/ butchering facility it would buy. Maybe I'd check with Greg Gunthorp and see if he'd want to partner up and expand on what he is doing over in No. Indiana,

Veteran Advisor

To each his own.  BTW I am older than you act for sure.

Senior Contributor

That is such a simple question it is hard to answer.

10B is more than any of us mere mortals can imagine so it stretches ones mind to think what would use it all up.

If it was just my money and especially since I am an old guy I would probably set up some kind of funds transfer to my children and grandchildren but not so much that it would use a lot of the 10B.

Next I think would be some kind of charitable fund (not quick enough to give a good idea of just what without more thought) like Bill Gates etc. probably aimed at some inexpensive problem solver for 'poor' countries. Something like the waterless toilet competition that is on right now and is aimed at putting hygenic, cheap toilet facilites out in the world that do not use water.

Probably some smaller charitable agencies that are trying to change the welfare of people not just extend the misery they live in.

Now if this 10B was only for income or capital expansion would need a different answer.

Being a conservative investor I would certainly spread it around a number of different endevours and fields. 

Captial expansion would probably mean investing in land somewehre in the world but carefull consideration of where would be neccessay as I do not think North America has too many good investments at the moment. 

Income stream from the 10B would seem to be a harder thing at the moment but maybe a small return from that much capital would still give you a lot of income so picking companies with a good record of dividend and again spreading it out would be my choice.

I never expect to get rich quick but I would hate to lose it all on one roll of the dice.

Veteran Advisor

Land...with water rights.

I don't know about where you guys are, but things are just starting to get interesting on the water rights issue.  I know one guy who's dad bought land in the 60's, thin sandy ground that only grew a thin stand of grass, but had full water rights for $39 per acre.  He sold the irrigation rights off that land for $800 an acre recently, and still has the water rights for residential & livestock use.