cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Justice Thomas: what do we have in common anymore?

I think that is a very good question.  If space aliens from Alpha Centari attacked us, some would fight, some would give up, some would hide, some would want to make friends....however, I doubt this country or the united nations would have a consensus, there would be too much fighting among ourselves.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/11/01/justice-thomas-i-dont-know-what-we-have-as-a-country-in-co...  

During an interview broadcast on Wednesday’s edition of the Fox News Channel’s “Ingraham Angle,” Justice Clarence Thomas stated that he doesn’t know what Americans can say they have in common as a country.

Host Laura Ingraham asked Thomas, “Are you surprised that — how things are still so rancorous in the United States today about foundational issues? Not about — just foundational issues, the anthem and so forth?”

He answered, “No, I’m not surprised. I mean, what binds us? What do we all have in common anymore? I think we have to think about that. I think this is — when I was a kid, even as we had laws that held us apart, there were things that we held dear and that we all had in common. And I think we have to — we always talk about E pluribus unum. What’s our unum now? We have the pluribus. What’s the unum? And I think it’s a great country. I think we, for whatever reasons, have made it our — some people have decided that the Constitution isn’t worth defending, that history isn’t worth defending, that the culture and principles aren’t worth defending. And, certainly, if you are in my position, they have to be worth defending. That’s what keeps you going. That’s what energizes you. … I don’t know what it is that we have, we can say instinctively, we have as a country in common.”

2 Replies
Advisor

Re: Justice Thomas: what do we have in common anymore?

Thomas knows quite a bit about the politics of division.

At least the Democrats are clueless about their chances going forward which signals some hope for America.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/11/03/the-democratic-partys-civil-war-is-one-of-silent-...

Advisor

Re: Justice Thomas: what do we have in common anymore?

An assessment that is hard to disagree with. Interesting how he includes Bill more than just a couple of times as being part of the old “knew better” crowd.  

As for the popularity of policies, there really haven’t been many moved beyond talk. Judges the worst thing IMO. And failure to improve ACA 

As someone said back in the wake he wake of the financial  crisis it’s going to be a matter of who gets caught holding the Old Maid.

The identity politics is worth it when you factor in how the GOP leadership has played the various  exclusivist elements. You’ve got certain folks who have made gains and aren’t of a mind to give them up and people who can’t get any footing and are out of patience.