cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Kaiser von Trumpsky

probably a disservice to the House of Hohenzollern.

18 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Kaiser von Trumpsky

Am reading a book on the lead up to WW I and I have thought there were some similarities to the 2 individuals and also to the situation that brought up the final tipping point.

Does history repeat itself?

hardnox
Advisor

I don't think you're around long if you don't tell him what he wants to hear.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

BTW I see the Doomsday Clock has been edged closer to midnight because of 'words spoken lately' and the leadeship of 2 nations.

http://thebulletin.org/timeline

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Canuck,

I think the real lesson of WW I is how quickly and how unimaginably horrific things can happen when great empires collide and then begin to spin out of control. For example, from August 1914 to the First Battle of the Marne only six months later, the belligerents suffered over 1 million casualties. Before it was through, "The War to End All Wars" would put over 10 million men in the ground (Ponder that number for a moment.).

At the time, countless numbers of men on all sides were being fed into wars human meat grinder in the name of God, country, honor, motherhood, freedom, democracy, patriotism, alliances, and above all; so that the already dead will not have died in vain. It was only afterward that the survivors of The Great War began to ask why in Hell it had all occurred in the first place?

Today, we have a seventy year old artifact of WW II called the NATO Treaty. Although the treaty itself has been fundamentally altered with the expansion of central European members these past twenty years, no one seems to greatly care right now. They do not care because the treaty and the alliance has never been tested by war. 

The key question is, will America fight WW III should NATO ally Estonia (or Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, etc) be invaded by Russia? Can 90% of Americans even find Estonia (or any of the other countries) on a map? Are the vast majority of Americans even aware of the unratified war commitments made by foreigners and unelected bureaucrats on their behalf?

And after the first 5-10 thousand Marines or US sailors are killed, will we then all expect to be lectured to by the likes of Senator John McCain and Senator Lindsay Graham that the already dead Americans cannot be allowed to have died vain?

Yeah Canuck. This is indeed a dangerous world we live in right now. It is just not for the reasons and people who think.

hardnox
Advisor

Youy guys are gonna have to see your chiropractors from the exertions doing the presto chango in the dressup closet between the wig n' breeches fellers, Churchill and Neville.

For better or worse, Europe and the commonwealth countries share a lot more of our vision for the world than the KGB or Likud thugs do.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Packard, read up on history from the 1880ies until 1914 and see how similar things were with countries trying to incorporate others territories into their own and alliances to protect one another from others aggression.

There is much to compare.

Are our 'leaders' today any smarter than those who fed young men into the fight as cannon fodder back then?

rsbs
Senior Advisor

I feel much more at ease with Trump running the show than I would have with McCain, Graham, or Mrs. Clinton.

The world is a dangerous place, and we need someone with a circumspect approach at the helm rather than a warmonger.

For winning the peace prize, Obama sure seemed to stir the pot all over and drop a lot of bombs.

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Canuck,

I think my original point was that things in Europe were relatively calm during the spring and early summer of 1914. It all just went to Hell, however, when a second tier leader like Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo in late June of 1914. But when it did all go to Hell, it went fast and in ways that no one was even thinking about.

No one, whom I am aware of or have ever read about was predicting (prior to August 1914) anything remotely like the horror that was going to happen over the next four years. If you know some early 20th century Cassandra out there who was predicting the cataclysm prior to even May of 1914, I would be greatly interested to learn that man's name.

If anything, most strategists, diplomats, academics, and profound thinkers of the period were people echoing the thoughts of R. Norman Angell. He was the British politician and writer who authored the unintentionally ironic book, "The Great Illusion" (1910). The book is a treatise on the economic fantasy and impossibility of future modern day wars. In a further ironical twist on Angell's book, he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1933 just after a notorious German dictator had come to power.

As it was, when the dust finally settled on WW I, millions would lie dead. The population of the former third largest economy in world would suffer mass starvation & insolvency. The "sick man of Europe, Russia would endure revolution & communist rule. The French were nearly bled dry. And finally, the British, one of the so called victors of WW I, would find its hard won Victorian empire mortally wounded as it involuntarily surrendered its pound sterling for the American dollar as the world's international fiat currency of choice.

Can you say Vimy Ridge and the Battle of Arras?

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Will have to pick up the book which is by the bed.

Think the title is 'The War That Ended Peace' by  ???? a lady author.

Will scan back through for some references she has made to people who commented back before 1910 that a war was coming and it was going to be devastating to society and the world.

See if I can get some names and quotes for you to look at.

The book went right back into the 1880ies and set the stage for what was coming.

Yes up to the assassination things were looking more peacefull in Europe than it had for several years BUT the alliances were still in place that eventually pulled almost every country in Europe in shortly after the assassination.

The assassination of course was a result of the many troubles, wars and territory take overs that had happened in the last 20-30 years before that in Europe and in other parts of the world with colonies of European countries.

There was a big arms race between England and Germany in the naval area that helped to set things up as well as increases in the armies in many countries leading up to 1914.

Many compare it to dominos and once one was knocked over the rest followed.

If you have an interest in WW I there is a series of YouTube clips that have been published weekly with some extras thrown in that covers what was happening 100 years before on that week.

this should get you into the series to look around if interested and then you can subscribe in you want.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A

Will check the book and post anything i find later