cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Kentucky vs. N. Carolina

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/what-kentucky-can-teach-the-rest-of-the-us-abou...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/25/healthcare-gov-is-busted-these-four-state...

I think it is really very interesting that Kentucky has been a national leader in the implementation of their state health exchange and also in the adoption of Common Core Standards.

My take on that is that poverty is basically a white phenomenon in Kentucky which tends to produce more empathy toward those who are thus afflicted. It isn't exactly even racism as such, just a matter that blacks are one step further removed for the white majority and thus that much easier to dismiss as The Other. Plus (see below) other than the Frankfort/Lexington area and a bit of the Cincy and Louisville 'burbs, a large portion of the population is connected there.

North Carolina was the most moderate of southern states since before reconstruction but has now veered hard to the political right. I'd submit that is a different but slightly related phenomenon. It is now dominated by suburban transplants in the new sprawlplexes. Folks who have earned their piece of the middle class dream and don't have any particular connection to the state as a whole, aren't very interested in paying for anyone else's problems.

6 Replies
Advisor

Re: Kentucky vs. N. Carolina

Kentucky has the highest smoking rate, 7th obesity, 12Th poverty.   You're not signing up people that are going to carry the load, they are going to be the load.  If that is what success means, then yes ky is probably a success.

Senior Advisor

Here is a success story for ya.

snip-

The head of the Maryland Health Insurance Exchange testified Thursday before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that only 60,000 people have signed up for Obamacare through the state’s exchange - 13,000 less than the number of individuals reported to lose their insurance due to Obamacare. 

See more at: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/it-s-loss-md-73k-lose-insurance-60k-enroll-exchan...

Advisor

Actually was just interested in the dynamic that led to those policies being enacted in KY.

I think Obamacare will be more or less a disaster. Somewhat less than what we were heading for but to your good fortune, somebody can be blamed for this one.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

Actually was just interested in the dynamic that led to those policies being enacted in KY.

I think Obamacare will be more or less a disaster. Somewhat less than what we were heading for but to your good fortune, somebody can be blamed for this one.

How is it my good fotune the price of our health insurance is going to double? Maybe we'll get another extension.

Advisor

I gave you the dynamic. ky is full of people who couldn't get insurance.
Senior Contributor

Re: ck the colore ratio

of signups ---i know people in the program and tyou will be surprised partly due to most blacks having med cards osama failed to mention