cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: Okay time to inject some common sense

Are you sure it's oil? It's not allowed in MI. to many toxic chemicals. In MI. it has to be salt.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Keystone looks to be dead

This was to be done with private money. Private money employing high paying private sector employees. This expands the economy and tax base. I have no problem with ethanol pipelines and blending pumps. What I have a problem with is using government money to get them done. If there is not enough money in the ethanol industry to build or install them then they are not needed.

toughguy189
Veteran Contributor

The company building the Keystone XL has already had several problems with the Keystone 1 pipeline leaking and with lying to the public about just how much oil has been leaked.  

"Almost all of the oil releases over the last 11 months on Keystone have been minor - averaging just five to 10 gallons of oil," Russ Girling, TransCanada's president and chief executive officer, said in a statement

the truth about the leaks is as follows: The two most recent leaks to the existing 2,143-mile pipeline, which carries crude oil from Alberta to Cushing, Okla., were much larger than the nine earlier ones that Girling described. On May 7 near Millner, N.D., the pipeline spilled about 21,000 gallons of oil and on May 29 in Atchison, Kan., it leaked about 420 gallons.  (source:  USA Today )

Remember that these pipelines are buried 4 ft below ground so you are not going to see the spill and in parts of Nebraska we only have to dig a few feet to hit water.  If we allow this pipeline to run through the sandhills you won't just be skimming some dirt off of the top like its a tanker spill.  You're gonna be digging a deep hole and you may never actually get all of the oil out of it.

Don't think you will be seeing ethanol pipelines anytime soon either, if I remember correctly ethanol will corrode the pipelines which is why they ship it in rail cars and trucks to final destination.

I'm all for building a pipeline like we have in Alaska, ABOVE gROUND!!  then we can see the spills, but I dont think we should allow the pipeline to be buried.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

More than certainly it will be US Steel, because if you talk to the scrap iron places where the high priced iron is going, they all say "China", they`re buying our iron. Nox, said the environment isn`t the concern about Keystone.  Well, here is the unvarnished skinny on why this adminstration is against Keystone: There is a sizable segment of Democrats that want high priced oil, Keystone and the Baaken oil fields and Ethanol bring down and hold down oil prices.  The smart Democrats hated it when ethanol replaced 10% of gasoline, they hate the new fracking technology that brought the Baakens into production. See, the smart Democrats believe that if gasoline got too expensive that would force us to conserve, lower our standards of living, develop solar wind and other unprofitable forms of energy.  These Democrats believe that for our own good gasoline should be expensive.  Then when we haven`t met "peak oil" yet they get pissed and bash ethanol, bash fracking, oh I know the easy oil has been pumped and ethanol can`t stand on it`s own..well it`s looking pretty damned good without government money and Brazil will take any extra that we want to sell.  See, Obama killed Keystone for our own good ain`t he sweet?  Fire up the old Solyndra plant!

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I don't know, they haven't done the studies yet.  For all I know, they could recommend it be built as originally proposed, or have it moved, or not allow it through at all.    However, I do trust them more than the Feds, as I think they are more scientifically motovated, as opposed to politically motovated.  They gave an estimate of how long it would take to complete the studies, and they estimated 6 months.  The Feds estimate until just after the next Presidential election.  I wonder why the discrepancy.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I have been told, that there are to be automatic valves that can be shut remotely in case of a leak, every few miles.  If the fail for some reason, nowhere will there be a more than 45 minute response time, for a technican to shut the valves manually (I assume that means when the roads are not snowed shut).  I just never got any kind of straight answer as to how much oil can leak out in 45 minutes.  I don't know if we are talking 10 gallons, or 10,000.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Oil is allowed in Nebraska, for keeping dust down, as long as you follow certain procedures.

Personally, I don't want the stuff in used oil just floating around, so I take it to a shop that uses it in an old furnace.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Did a little search on leak detection

There`s systems out there, and you can find any opinion that you want to support your argument good or bad.  It would come down to if you have X amount of gallons going in the pipeline at Canada, you damned well better have X amount of gallons coming out at the Gulf or it gets shut down pronto.  As far as oil getting in the ground water in the worst case, well oil/fuel will float like in the sediment bowl of a M Farmall.  So, don`t let the environmentalists scare a guy, if the impossible (spill) occured, you pump the top off or leave it.  The good water will always stay that way deeper like a sediment bowl. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Did a little search on leak detection

Any body with that much common sense needs to be ignored because they have to be a racist.

hardnox604008
Advisor

However it would be correct to note that C IN aquifers are for the most part underneath 200 feet or more of tight glacial till.

Actually makes for great livestock lagoons although it isn't a concept that people embrace real easily.