cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Kids (and grandkids?) at home?

Just saw on the news that over one-third of 18-34 year olds in the US live with their parents or a parent. I'm sure nobody who frequents this site is saddled in such a manner, but in my various sprees of neighbor's, relatives and acquainted e's people, particularly men, who are so are very much in the politically angry Trumpish tribe. It's either Obama or the medi's fault.
8 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Kids (and grandkids?) at home?

Look at the bright side Bruce. They may not have a job and live in momma's basement but at least Bathroom Barry is protecting their inalienable right to use the girl's restroom and showers.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

It`s a Blessing to have Grandparents close when kids are growing up.  But if a elderly parent has dementia it can be really tough, they can`t be allowed to cook among alot of other tasks, they have to be watched on the hour and that can be hard on a family.  Mom and dad can`t go together on vacations or make the kid`s ballgames, unless a babysitter is watching the parent.  When it gets to the point they need special care, these nursing homes are crazy high priced, it`s $7,000 a month for what amounts to a "college dorm room" and they can`t do everything, ocassionally even the nursing home calls and says "Your Mom refused to take her pills this morning, thought we`d let you know".  It`s a tough deal.

And 30 yr old kids living at home, that isn`t Obama`s fault, Obama is just the symptom of a nation gone awry.  Those young people went to college, did eveything the were supposed to and now the living wage jobs aren`t there.  I don`t think any young person really wants to "live at home" but they`re stuck with debt and a nowhere job and no prospects for the future.  They get out the Mountain Dew and X-Box and make the best of a bad situation, but it won`t be long and they`ll be 50 and the skills they learned in college and still paying a loan on will be even more rusty.

After Ronald Reagan, this country came to a fork in the road and we collectively chose the wrong path.  Ross Perot was right, Pat Buchanan was right and now Donald Trump says alot of the right things but is he too late?  I`m afraid that it`s an exercise in futility in electing him or anyone at this point and expecting miracles.  Maybe the most humane route would be to elect Hillary and bring on the day of reckoning, the quicker we hit bottom, the quicker we can start healing.  However, the left never learns from mistakes they double down, i`m afraid Hillary would usher in a Venezuela type regime.

bruce MN
Advisor

Just what is it Trunp would do, specifically, to take us wherever?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Trump is saying what I have been preaching for over a quarter of a century now to disincentivize factories from leaving the US, the only way that I know how to do that is tariffs and so far Trump is the only candidate using the "T-word' as a positive.  Trump would also stop immigration, we have too many people here 15 million unemployed and 15 million illegal aliens....can anyone do simple math anymore?????    

All the under-employed and a record 94 million out of the workforce and a generous entitlement program never before seen in the history of the world on this massive 320 million population scale.  All that and half of those of us that do work, actually pay federal income taxes.

I don`t know if it`s too late or if Trump can do what he says, but if kicking out the illegal deadbeats is all that he accomplishes, it`s well worth your vote.  A 30 yr old kid in your basement probably won`t be there long if he had a decent job offer.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Not so sure that is anything new bruce.

Should look up stats if they are available but as a kid growing up my grandparents lived here for a number of years and then later my grandfather on the other side for a period of time.

Lots of other homes had 3 generations too or in one case a bachelor who was older than my parents lived with his parents until they died and he was the one that farmed the land.

Not sure my generation had many parents living with them until ill health brought the parents to the childs home in their last years. 

Perhaps that is an indication of the wealth and affluence around in the 1960ies and after.

bruce MN
Advisor

Not new at all. The article I read says in over 30 years,.  The difference is likely that in those earlier times the  multi- generational setup more often would have revolved around an enterprise. Farming would be very notably so, and I can't help but believe that the extraordinary decline in the number of proprietor owned and operated farms, along with the virtual evaporation of independent retail establishments which often were multi-generational hasn't affected those numbers greatly.

Independent living requires resources.  Simple as that.  This economy is the rind of a hard 35 year squeeze. 

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Like paying off the home mortgage, successfully raising, educating, and then launching a financially independent and prudent adult child is a life achievement. If it applies to you, celebrate your good fortune and silently pat yourself (and your spouse) on the back for a job well done.

These days, raising kids to do all of the above is a lot harder to do than what most amateurs think.

bruce MN
Advisor

Yes. Been there, done that...3X.

And, yes, it is good advice to simply let that stand for itself and feel good about it.